35. Babysitting 2/2

On their way back home, Charlotte had bought Charlie a balloon and ice creams for both of them. When they got there, the door was locked, which surprised Charlotte because on a work day she was usually the first to get back. She rang the doorbell and waited for someone to open the door while Charlie admired all the plants that surrounded the house. He asked about the beautiful wines going up on the white walls of the house and small paintings on the same walls that Camille and Charlotte had done a while ago. Charlotte had painted little flowers on the edges and Camille had painted a small house... or tried to...

When the door finally opened, they saw Candice with a cup of coffee in hand. She was wearing all black as usual which was accessorized with a chain explosion. She glanced at Charlotte and then noticed Charlie standing next to her, holding his balloon.

"Ew, why'd you bring that thing to our house?" Candice said with a disgusted face.

"A balloon?" Charlotte said.

"No... a CHILD" she said as her face screwed up even more. Charlie gave her a death stare.

Charlotte blinked.

"What is wrong with you" she questioned as Charlie invited himself inside and went into the living room.

"Deep psychological issues" Candice nodded, agreeing with herself, "doctors say I can't be fixed" she made horrible dramatic face, "I'm just a broken toy..."

"And not even a sex toy!" Candice cried out and left the entrance way to go to the living room. Charlotte sighed and followed her.

"Hey, kid" Candice approached him as if she was approaching a wild animal, "so uh... I'm Candice. You?"

Charlie suspiciously eyed her for a second, "Charlie Hilstone. Nice to meet you" he then said.

"Yeah, okay" Candice muttered and turned to Charlotte, "why uh... why is it-he in our house?"

Charlotte sighed again. This wasn't gonna be easy. Candice wasn't a big fun of Children... and now that they were on the subject, neither was Isobel. Charlotte wondered when Camille would get home. Kids loved her.

"His mom had to go to a hospital to visit her mom, so I offered to watch over him until she gets back" Charlotte explained and sat down on the couch. Candice was still standing stiff.

"And he didn't have anyone else to take care of him?" Candice asked. They both looked at Charlie.

"Technically yes, but old people don't really like me" he shrugged. He had one of his earphones in and very disturbing music was coming out of it.

"...why not?" Charlotte asked.

"You've met me. Can't you tell?" Charlie gestured at his appearance.

"But you're so sweet" Charlotte scoffed, "how can they not like you? And are you talking about your relatives?"

Charlie shrugged and nodded.

"Mom's side?"

"Yeah"

"Oh that makes sense" Charlotte noted. Charlie let out a short laugh. Candice raised an eyebrow.

"Ya lost me" she said.

"Charlie's mom's side is a bit old-fashioned" Charlotte tried to explain without sounding offensive.

"They're old hags who got stuck in time" Charlie hissed at the mention of his aunts. Candice let up two surprised eyebrows and sat down on the floral armchair, looking a bit amused.

"Reminds me of my mom... before she-"she cut herself off suddenly. Charlotte gave her an apologetic stare which seemed to annoy Candice, "so we're still having a movie marathon, right?"

Charlie nodded.

"The girls should be here soon. I'll get started on popcorn. You stay with Charlie" Charlotte said and got up.

"What-?" Candice blurted out, but Charlotte had already gone into the kitchen. She slowly turned her head to look at Charlie, who was looking back with a villainous smile.

"So you're the scary one, huh? I've heard Charlotte talking about her girlfriends with my mom." He started and let out a small chuckle, "I'm pretty sure my mom thinks by girlfriends Charlotte means friends who are girls"

"...oh? Your mom's not very sharp, is she?" Candice said, still looking a bit on guard.

"No. But she thinks she's an evil genius" Charlie shrugged.

                                              ~*~