Chapter 12: Mateo

"What is this about?" Taylor asked crossing her arms shuffling from foot to foot.

"I have an idea, everyone is against it, but me. I know a guy; he's known as Skinner."

"Now why does that sound like a gang name?" Taylor asked leaning against the wall, cutting Jason off.

"Because it is. I want to bring this guy here; he's helped me anonymously of course in cases with women and children. He's top dog, he knows what goes on around here he may be able to identify the room." He explained sitting in the chair.

"What would he do?" I heard Nate chime in.

"Sit in the kitchen then Lopez will set up another screen so he can watch for a while, try to make out the room. I'll probably have him sit there until Blake and Austin both walk in and see if he can identify them and where the hang out." I guess I know the name of the techie now.

"If you think he will help I don't see why not." I answered, I will do anything to get her back, if Jason trusts this guy, I do too.

"Agreed." Nate answered and I saw that look in his eyes like he knew exactly what I was thinking.

"Do you trust this man?" Taylor asked walking to Jason as he stood.

"I would say no, but he gives good intel, best I've worked with here." He said to her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." He answered honestly.

"Okay then. Do it." She said walking to us.

"Thank you." He said nodding I turned around opening the door. I walked through and walked to the kitchen and grabbed a banana out of the basket on the counter. I didn't have an appetite, but I needed to eat.

"When will he be here?" Taylor asked standing behind the tech, she seemed to do that a lot but it didn't look like the tech minded. He was working she was just watching; I was on the other side of the counter by the sink and Nate was beside the tech facing Jason who was still near the front door.

"He already is. I had to bring him in my car." He said opening the door. A huge man, tattoo on his neck walked through about as tall as me but his build was bigger than mine, guess he was Skinner. He sauntered past Jason straight to the tech, who turned to him smiling and he fist bumped Skinner.

"Get it ready for me. Who are these people?" He gestured to us, as Jason walked up clapping him on the back.

"Best friend Taylor, husband Nate, husband Mateo." He pointed to each of us introducing us.

"Good to know." Skinner nodded looking down at the computer. "Hold the phone. This is the girl?" He said caging I guess Lopez in, who nodded.

"What is it?" Jason asked him.

"I know her." He whispered. "She came to me for help a while ago, she wanted her name changed, she couldn't afford it." He explained.

"You know Grace?" Nate said and Skinner nodded, looking to each of us. "From what I got out of her the girl had been through hell. I put her in one of my apartments she insisted on paying the full rent, I offered her half." He explained.

"You own the building she lives in?" Jason questioned.

"Yes, I do. So, you're that girl she would never let me meet you, nice to see you. Sorry for the circumstances." He said nodding to Taylor.

"You're who she found the apartment from, we holed up in a hotel room for two weeks and she magically came home with a place." Taylor said nodding to him. "Thank you." She said smiling to him.

"No one hurts women on my streets I don't care how powerful or cowardice you are." He explained to her and shook her hand. I don't have room to judge you and I expect that if he got that vibe from us, he would be much more confrontational with us. He looked fucking intimidating.

"Do you recognize the room?" Jason asked him. Skinner shook his head.

"Not off the bat, give me a few let me call some guys, it shouldn't take me long." He said walking to the door.

"I wonder how she found him..." Taylor trailed off turning to me. I shrugged hell if I know, I am surprised she would even look that far.

"It's really not that hard, if she went to the courthouse, sometimes one of his women sits there, to assist women. The tat is fake he wears it sometimes to keep up appearances." Jason explained. "He has attorneys in his pockets, counselors, detectives." He said holding up his hand silently joking about himself making me smile.

"He really cares about women?" Nate questioned walking to the fridge and got out a water.

"If you knew his story you would know." Jason muttered and Nate nodded knowing not to question. The door slammed open and Skinner waltzed back in leaning on the counter crossing his.

"I called the guys describing the room the people I talked to don't know but they are spreading word." He explained, and turned his head to look at Jason. "I want to help you; I am not leaving." He spoke and Jason nodded.

"You can have the guest room at the end of the hall that way." Nate said pointing to our hall on the right.

"I appreciate that. No favors, not this time." Jason looked appalled.

"You're sure. All it normally is, is testimony or helping to hide a girl it's really no trouble." Jason said shuffling around, I had a feeling sometimes a favor from him means more.

"This girl, she made an impression she wouldn't take any more than was needed and she told me bits and pieces to convince me but she really made an impression on us. I offered to make her one of my women, teach how to protect herself, put her up in a house take care of kids off the street but she wouldn't take it. She said she was finally going to be able to live, and she wanted the full go, she amazed so many of us, there were almost 20 of us in that room. She held herself together as she told some us some really heart crushing shit and she- I don't know, if she needs something she can have it, and she needs this." He said turning to Jason during that, we all were speechless not standing there saying anything.

"That is the most I have ever heard you talk at one time." Jason said, and Skinner chuckled.

"She reminds me of my mother, she always held her head high and strutted along and took whatever life gave her." He said and turned to me and Mateo. "You two have a great woman, I hope you treat her right." He said to us.

"They do." Taylor said to him diverting his gaze to her.

"She talked very highly of you, it sounded like you were the only good thing in her life." He waved a finger pointing at her.

"We have to get to work." Jason said clapping, and Lopez started typing again and Skinner dragged a stool sitting beside him, Taylor on his other side.

"I don't know this boy, though, have you identified him?" Skinner pointed at the stream.

"No but he said his parents are dead and he doesn't have a last name yet, so foster kid. I doubt its your house the way he talks about it. I do have his first and middle name though." The tech said pushing the unmute button as JJ looked like he was screaming.