Princess Quest

Reader's POV
×~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~×

We had an idea of where to start now, but there was the issue of making sure Vanessa stays where she is. "What if she escapes," I mumbled. "We can't bring her around with us, she'll probably make things way harder," Bonnie argued. I tried to think of any middle ground for us to settle on. "I'm right here...," Vanessa interjected. "Look Y/N, she's secure plus the knife is up on top of a cabinet that none of you shorties can reach," Bonnie continued. I glared at him for the short comment but eventually agreed to keeping Vanessa in this room. "Don't go anywhere," Bonnie sang before closing the door behind us. "You're so mean," I chuckled as we went on our way. "Oh, I'M mean? Psh, yeah sure."

****

There were a lot more security bots than usual, a handful of them in each area of the Pizzaplex was the normal amount. Vanessa probably had something to do with it. Luckily, I had my work ID with me so they shouldn't- The sound of the security bot's alarm rang, surprising both me and Bonnie. Actually... the S.T.A.F.F. bots being affected makes a lot of sense, they're much less advanced than the animatronics after all.

"I found you!" Bonnie and I turned to see Chica approaching us, slumped over like a zombie. "Uhhh... hey Chica," I nervously smiled. Her eyes snapped up to me and she started running, I swore under my breath before getting picked up by Bonnie as he started running. "Probably a good idea to avoid our friends until we sort things out Y/N!"

****

Bonnie managed lose her and get us both to the atrium in one piece. I eventually ended up sitting on his shoulders instead of being held in his arms as we made our way to the Glamrock Salon, but he had to put me back down once we got there since the doors were too small for us both to fit through at the same time. "Y'know, I can see why kids love climbing you guys now," I chuckled as we snuck into the back office of the salon.

It was less of an office and more of just a storage area for the employees of the salon. All that was in here were scattered boxes, shelves of stuff, cabinets. "Hm, that's weird," Bonnie said. I looked up at him "What is?" He pointed to an arcade cabinet to the left of the shelves "That game, 'Princess Quest', it's a mobile game. Why would they make an arcade port of it?" I stepped closer to inspect the machine, it looked to be working fine. "More importantly, why is a game back here and not in any of the arcades?"

I moved the joystick around to see if it was really working, then the title screen popped up. It had no design or anything, just the name of the game in big white font, with a weird yellow bar just off-center. Curiously, I pressed the interact button and started the game. "Really, Y/N? You're gonna play this now?"

"I'm just wondering... if the game is working fine then why is it-" I cut myself off as the game spawned these creepy black goo-bunnies around me. "There, now you know why. It's because the game's weird and creepy," Bonnie said, but I still tried to finish the game. He groaned at me and started to move the arcade cabinet around.

"What are you doing?" I asked, still focused on the game. "Trying to find the plug so I can- aha!" Bonnie stood upright again, holding a plug in his hand proudly. I looked to the screen and saw the game still on"Arcade machines don't run on a battery, right?" I tried to move my character and it was working fine. "That's... weird."

I continued playing the game as normal, Bonnie watched now too, just as curious as I. Finally we reached this long dark hallway in the game, with one last thing to at the end of it. I pressed the interact button and a mass of purple and black goo showed up in the light, scaring me a little. A strange text box showed up with glitching purple boxes inside of it, then the rest of the screen started to glitch out as my character got consumed by the darkness. The screen froze, and then it died, no game over screen, no win screen, nothing. "Is it a delayed reaction to you unplugging it?" I looked to Bonnie curiously, he kneeled down and plugged the game back in, the screen remained black. "Did we break it?" Bonnie and I shared a look before he shrugged "I don't know. We should get back to looking for whatever's making everyone act weird."

Right, that's what we came here to do. The two of us looked through shelves and boxes, and even the cabinets and the bathrooms connected to the office. Nothing looked out of the ordinary.

"Find anything?" I said once I finished my search. "No. You?" I shook my head in response. My eyes traveled back to the arcade machine in the corner, still turned off "The only strange thing we witnessed was that game..." Bonnie looked at me with a raised brow "You can't possibly think...?" He trailed off "It's really weird but, it's the only thing in here that stands out," I answered his unfinished question.

Bonnie looked at the arcade machine then back at me, he seemed to think for a little before saying, "We should check on Vanessa, then we'll know for sure." I nodded in agreement and we made our way out of the Glamrock Salon.

****

Bonnie and I returned to the main security office to find Vanessa on her side, looking sweaty and disheveled. "Ness, are you ok?" I approached her with concern. "My head hurts...," she mumbled. After helping her sit back up, I noticed she looked exhausted and her eyes seemed a bit brighter. "I'll get you some water," I said to her before making my way to the water cooler beside the door.