Chapter 71.) Confessions

What exactly is love? It's a four-letter word that people use daily, even children. Though they may not understand how powerful that passionate word is, adults do. Love, it's a peaceful emotion that in time comes crashing down on you when you least expect it. It causes you to cherish the littlest things in life.

It could be so simple as noticing the way the sun rises and illuminates the ground under you. When you're in love, things seem so much better to you. The things that you wouldn't dare do or try, you come to enjoy it. But love can also make you anxious. Afraid. Despite all the bad, he has gone through, Lucky's view of people was beginning to change the deeper he fell for Ava.

How could he hate the world when he had a special person in his life that brought him happiness. Humor. Wisdom. Lucky felt as if he were blindsided by this rugged emotion but he welcomed it. His newfound life was growing in slow motion. Right before his eyes, he could see the change, his future. Ava was always in it and he was happy. Always laughing.

Lucky was never one to believe in love nor did he think he would ever experience it but he was and he had. It was a blessing to him. He felt as if though he was so angry with God, somehow, the big man in the sky was still looking out for him, even after all of his sins. Ava fell into his lap. His life and changed him in only five months. But, there was still work to do. He still had work to do.

He had to learn how to be able to sleep without her. He had to learn how to deal with her not being around him 24-7. But at this moment, he planned to treasure it. He spent 15 years of his young life wishing for the better and spent 10 years becoming numb to any and everything. He found his one, someone he could trust his heart and secrets with, but still, he was fearful.

Afraid to admit this strong feeling to himself. He was scared to let his guard down with doubts that things would eventually end. He was terrified to suffer another heartache. Distress. But Ava was his person. She helped him find his spark. Love was trying its best to devour his soul but he was fighting it. He didn't want to but he couldn't help it.

It was 6 pm, New Year's evening, also the twins' twenty-sixth birthday, and Ava's and Lucky's official date night. The twins decided not to do anything this year, other than stay indoors. Since the Goonies were back traveling to games, Renae, King, Assyria, and Kairo decided to bring the party to the twins beach house. Of course, Ava offered to reschedule her date with Lucky, but the twins and Assyria opposed.

She was always present for any and every event and they understood that dating was new to her and for her, so missing one birthday was no skin off their nose. They adored Lucky and could see that though he came off as unapproachable to others, it was easy to see just how in love he was with their sister. They were cheering for the pair, especially Kairo.

"When I told you to match my fly, I ain't mean show me up," Lucky said to Ava as he helped her step up onto the sidewalk.