Chapter 21.) Moods

"What you doing 'round here lil nigga?" Delano queried, eyeing Zaire.

"Wah it look like?" Zaire replied, ignoring the other men staring at him curiously.

Delano chuckled, "Why you ain't in school? Ain't break over for y'all asses?"

"It's almost four in di afternoon, nigga. Mi nuh inna damn middle school, yuh know dah."

The men glanced at Delano then at Zaire and smirked.

"So," Delano descended the porch and beckoned with his head for Zaire to follow him. "I thought yo cousin ain't want you involved in this shit?"

"Who gwaan snitch? Yuh?"

Delano laughed, "Nah... snitchin' ain't in my vocabulary lil nigga, but I don't think yo folks gon' be happy about you working for me... in case you ain't already heard, Yung bodied two of my niggas already and my hand still fucked up," he said as he held his wrapped hand up.

Zaire stared at his hand for a moment then shrugged, "Mi sure yuh deserved it."

Delano chuckled, "Maybe... maybe not. But what are you tryna do? Sell some weed?"

"Yup," Zaire nodded.

"You gon' use the same shit Kairo's ass was using or you want mine?"

"Nuh need mi fam asking questions, yurs iz fine."

Delano studied him for a moment then sucked his teeth, "Why you wanna do this shit anyway? Yo whole damn family rich ain't they?"

"Look," Zaire huffed, "Wi do business or nuh?"

"Pump the brakes," Delano laughed, opening the backdoor to his trap house, "You ready to jump in headfirst I see. Better be careful.

Zaire sucked his teeth, "Yeah, wah ever," he muttered, following behind Delano.

"Since you plan on working with me, I'll go ahead and give you an advance on faith that yo ass will reimburse me by getting rid of this shit by the end of tomorrow night."

Zaire didn't respond, just followed him down the musty smelling basement.

"How much you think you can sell in two days?" Delano asked.

"How much yuh got?"

Delano smirked, opening a drawer, and removed two large sealed bags. Tossing them to Zaire, he closed the drawer and eyed him, "You think you can sell all that in two days?"

Wanting to be cocky but also not wanting to fuck up his first solo mission, Zaire tossed one of the bags back, "Add two more days den yeah."

"A'ight," Delano agreed, "I'll give you four days to sell both of those."

Zaire nodded, catching the bag once he tossed it back, "Straight."

***

"What you doing here, nephew?" Dajon asked once Kairo entered the living room. It's been two hours since his interaction with Kelly and Kairo still couldn't wrap his mind around things or what he was supposed to do to fix things.

"I need some advice," Kairo sighed, sitting next to him on the sofa and watched the flames in the fireplace dance.

"About yo friend? Kelly?"

Kairo nodded.

"What's up?" Dajon closed his laptop and turned toward him.

Kairo sucked his teeth, "I went over there to talk to her but she threw me out."