Chapter 42.) A New Leaf

There was always a calm before the storm and for the Stone family, their storm had been brewing for quite some time, waiting on the perfect opportunity to let loose. The skies were gloomy, but the sun still found a way to creep through the cloud, and the grass was a pretty lime color. Spring was present but summer was waiting around the corner like an eager puppy.

It was May 1st, Kairo had three more weeks to go until he was done with college but all he could think about was the incident that took place three weeks ago. Trent was dead. Charred the same way his wife had been. It was ironic. Kairo was relieved but wished his family would have taken his concerns seriously. The signs were all there but he didn't want to play the blame game.

There was a lot of turmoil that surrounded the entire incident and caused an even bigger problem when the media found out they weren't allowed to mention the family in no shape or form. How were they supposed to do a story about a serial killer meeting his match if they couldn't talk about how? That was no problem for the FBI though, just like always, they found a way to cover it up.

Despite the bad, there was always some good and although the family knew they had extra eyes to worry about, they were trying to focus on helping King plan things for the vow renewal. They were pressed for time but had connections, King just wanted to make sure that Renae would make a full recovery before then.

She gave a good fight and the doctor said the same after seeing her condition. Most domestic violence victims didn't make it out alive and he told King and the rest of the family that Renae was one of the lucky ones. But they knew it wasn't luck- she was a fighter and had an army ready to go to war behind her.

"Kingston Stone?"

Lifting his head from his hands, King furrowed his brows at the three agents, looking like the Men in Black. "What?"

The taller one stepped forward and extended his hand, "I'm Agent, Ploy. I'm with DHS... can we have a moment of your time?"

King just stared.

"First, let me offer my well wishes to you and your wife... how is she?"

"Cut tha' crap, y'all don't give a damn about her, so what's tha' real reason y'all bothering me at a damn hospital?" King stood and the two unannounced agents in the back stepped back.

"Believe it or not, we do and I just wanted to let you know that we were able to salvage the evidence from the fire, to prove harassment and stalking. We found a few hard drives... I will admit, it's a bit... disturbing," Ploy glanced over at his men and the brown skin one extended a bag to King.

"Ok," King took the bag then tilted his head, "That's all?"

"Mr. Stone," the younger-looking agent spoke, stepping forward, "I'm Agent Waters... we just wanted you to know how critical this situation was."

"Tha' nigga tried to burn my wife alive as his ass did to his, I'm aware of what his ass was capable of but it seems as if none of y'all wanted to do shit," King spat.

"About that," Ploy cleared his throat, "Your gun... your clip was empty but Detective Von told us you shot in self-defense but a Glock is known to hold at least fifteen rounds, with one in the chamber..."

King shrugged, "I don't count my shit. You here to arrest me?"

"Do you know much about your brother-in-law?" Ploy queried.

King stared at him crazy, "Nigga, you better choose your next words thoughtfully."

"What he means is," the younger agent stepped forward, "Davidson... has been granted diplomatic immunity... meaning we aren't allowed to touch him or his family, no matter what."