Chapter 22.) Games We Play

"Somebody please!" The disoriented voice pulled Kairo from his slumber.

"Help!"

Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Kairo looked around his dark bedroom as the glare from the moonlight began to fade slowly as he got out of bed. Pitch black swarmed his room as he heard the familiar cry for help again. Folding his arms as a brisk breeze blew over him, Kairo walked toward the open door.

Unaware of what kind of evil was lurking in the shadows, Kairo stepped out into the hall just as the sounds of gunshots went off. His head whipped in the direction of the shot as his heart raced wildly.

"STOP!"

"HELP ME!"

Chest heaving. Kairo's breathing becoming erratic and his palms became sweaty as the faint screams grow louder and louder until the...

BANG!

Jumping, Kairo looked around the dark hall just to see two figures on either side of the stairs. One reaching out for him but no sounds could be heard and the other to the left, cowered in the corner with blood staining their face and torn clothes. Knowing from his previous nightmares who that body belonged to, Kairo headed toward the direction of who he assumed would be his mom.

Taking the stairs two at a time, Kairo made it to the top but was knocked into the wall as the womanly figure slid across the floor.

BANG!

Kairo's head turned swiftly as he stared at Trent as he trained his gun on Renae as she struggled to pull herself up.

BANG!

Kairo's body jerked and his eyes bucked when he saw the bullet wounds piercing his mom's shoulder. Unable to move, Kairo stood there breathing heavily as he watched the blood seep from her mouth. His mouth became cotton dry as he watched her try to speak but the crimson, red liquid just spilled right out of her mouth.

"See what you made me do?" Trent queried, walking toward her with the gun still drawn.

BANG!

There was another gunshot but this time it came from downstairs. Confused but could also see that Trent was confused as well, Kairo watched as he looked from Renae to the stairs as someone came sprinting around the corner. Kairo saw the look of fear in Trent's eyes and was shocked, this was different from his other nightmares, this time Trent was afraid, but why?

Crash!

The sounds of glass shattering caught his attention and Kairo looked in the direction just to see that his mom had tossed a vase through the small window. Trent went to go at her but the person who sprinted up the stairs had tackled him, causing both men to fall through the bedroom door.

"Oh, shit," Kairo's voice had finally found its way to him as he watched the two bodies tussle around on the floor.

Renae, still bleeding out, used the wall for support as she staggered toward the altercation and Kairo could only watch things unfold as the blurry figure vanished and his father's features shortly appeared with each blow he sent to Trent's face.

"Oh shittt!" Kairo had no idea why but he was excited.

BANG! BANG!

Kairo looked behind him as two more figures turned the corner. Squinting his eyes a bit, the two men flew past him; one stopped to help his mom and the other rushed into the room to stop King from putting a hurting on a helpless Trent.