Chapter 67.) To Be Loved

Ava's boots crunched through the powdered snow. They burst like fireworks every time her feet hit the ground. Two days ago, a historic blizzard had come screeching through Virginia like a Mad Black Woman and the city around Ava seemed imprisoned in a glair-white silence. When it snowed, it was never as bad as people made it out to seem, but this year, things were different and even the News Outlets had no idea when things would clear up. Nothing sounded, other than the light roaring of engines of people still obligated to work or couldn't afford to stay home.

There were three feet of thick snow, and being that flurries were still coming down with no rain or sunshine on the forecast, schools were closed until further notice, some but not all businesses were closed. Accidents were happening due to drivers speeding instead of reducing speed, the hospitals were busy and running ragged, some old buildings were collapsing, and poor Ava regretted agreeing to do the dayshift because the beds were filling like crazy as was the ER and waiting room.

The storm winds had stripped the last leaves from the trees, leaving them bare and moping. They were wrapped in surgical coats now, wailing under the weight of the snow. Occasionally, a great limb would squeak, crack then tumble. It sounded like an explosion going through the forest. Winter's deadly clutch had strangled and stifled Virginia and the rest of the east coast and people truly, had no idea what to do.

It had ripped slates from roofs and its slavering fangs had sent the last of the squirrels and birds into hibernation. The state was becalmed. It was December the 14th the Goonies were down in Arizona for a few games but, the snow had people losing their minds and wondering if they would suffer power outages.

Not prepared for anything like this, Ava stood outside of the ER section and stared up at the blurry sky. This weather was something new to her and the anxious and afraid patients and those seeking shelter and warmth had Ava's nerves shooting through the roof. She felt as if she were in an episode of Grey's Anatomy or Chicago Med and the more she thought about people dying or something going wrong, the heavier her heart became.

Making it harder for her to breathe. Her hands shook as she began to panic. The sirens were constantly whirling like a broken record and each time another injured person was rolled in, she felt a piece of her die. Her eyes welled with tears as she doubled over gasping. Her thoughts were getting the best of her and she had no way to fight it.

Crunching came from behind, but Ava was too in her head to worry about whoever it was that was sneaking up on her.

"Ava, boo, what's wrong?" Kayla asked, walking over with Michelle.

"This..." she took a deep breath, "I cannot, I can'tttt!" she cried.

"Un-uh Ava, no ma'am," Kayla pulled her into her and Michelle rubbed her back. "This is scary for all of us baby girl, but there's nothing you should be afraid of, we're safe here and so are the patients."

"I don't think it's that," Michelle whispered, "She doesn't do well with chaos."

"Duh," Kayla stared at her blankly, "We're in the middle of it, or are we not at the same hospital?"

Ava busted out laughing when they began bickering.

"A good spat always brings out laughter I see," Michelle chuckled, handing her Ava the cup of hot tea, "You feel better?"

"Wanna call yo fine-ass brother?" Kayla smirked, feigning innocence and Michelle busted out laughing when Ava squinted at Kayla. "I'm playinggg."

"Girl," Ava coughed, "I will beat you up."

Kayla grinned, "You might, but you know I ain't ducking."

"You ain't landing either," Michelle added then laughed when Kayla jumped at her.