Chapter 37.) Just... Breathe

The next morning was a drag for Kairo and Kelly. Kairo didn't know much about Kelly's aunt and he figured that was for a reason. So if Kelly had beef with her aunt, then so did he.

"She's your mom's older sister?" Kairo asked, joining Kelly in the bathroom.

"Yeah... I never really liked her tho... she gave off fake vibes."

"I can see that," he nodded.

"Kelly!?" Her aunt screamed before inviting herself inside the room.

"I could've been digging in yo shit," Kairo muttered and Kelly stared at him with wide eyes before going into her room.

"Ronnie!" Mr. Henson barked, "Did you just invite yourself into her room?"

Kairo entered the bedroom, a bit shocked at the bass in Mr. Henson's voice.

"What?" Ronnie laughed, "Yonas, your name is on the deed, you don't walk in her room when she has company?"

Kelly lowered her head.

"There are such things as boundaries and something called respect, something you lack."

"I have both but I'ma keep quiet, I just wanted to tell her breakfast was done," her gaze fell on Kairo's exposed chest. "I hope you aren't messing around with my niece."

"Why the hell is that your business?" Mr. Henson stalked over and grabbed her arm, "You are out of line, bring your ass!"

"Sorry," he turned to Kairo before storming out.

Kairo stared at the now-closed bedroom door then glanced at an obvious embarrassed Kelly, "My mama will gladly beat her ass for you, just say word."

Kelly snickered, "No... she's not bad... she's just naturally intrusive."

"I'ma bite my tongue for you but if she eyes me again, I'ma hurt her feelings. Cougar ass."

"Noted," she huffed, "Come on."

"Sorry for my behavior, I'm not used to my niece dating," Ronnie half-apologized to Kairo after handing him the plate.

"Cool," Kairo simply said then glanced at Kelly.

"So..." Ronnie sat down, "How's school?"

"Fine," Kelly kept her response short.

"And you're in school... for?" She stared at Kairo.

"Business," he answered before stuffing his mouth.

"Family?"

"Not your business," Mr. Henson cut in and Kairo chuckled.

"I wasn't talking to you, Yonas."

"Oh well," Mr. Henson replied before picking up his french toast.

"What made you stop by?" Kelly finally asked.

"I was passing through and wanted to see you two."

Mr. Henson laughed to himself but didn't respond.