Chapter 18.) Phase 2: Night Sweats

It was Christmas Eve and although Renae usually found herself getting an early start on wrapping gifts for everyone, this year was a bit different. A lot of things in her life were different and although she was still figuring things out and sorting through them, she couldn't quite wrap her mind around this unexpected path that God seemed to have her on.

She spent so much time building herself up and doing things that made her feel whole but she was starting to think that somehow, God was trying to tell her that it was time to uplift someone other than herself. She still hated thinking about the situationship she was involved in with Trent and couldn't wait to put that to bed but there was also a piece of her that still felt as if she and King were simply better apart. But was that the case?

During the lengthy time apart, she was so consumed by resentment and anger that she forced herself to believe that she was no longer in love nor could she ever fall in love with him again.

That was then.

She hated that even though their version of tug-of-war was her wanting out and King refusing to let her. She understood that he may have realized that he fucked up severely but she no longer had the need to fight. The love they once shared had simmered and grew into fear and hatred. But she couldn't really say that she hated him per-say but she would admit that she hated the way he went about doing things. But was she starting to fall back in love with him?

Did she ever stop loving him? Did she still love him? Did she want things to go back to how they were or would that mean that they would go back to waiting until they could no longer hold things in and explode? Was it best for her to hope and yearn for what they used to have or should she wonder and hope for what they could have moving forward?

All great questions that she wanted answers to but right now, she would just focus on the now and the motions of life.

It was going on two in the morning and Renae found herself spending another night with King as he tried to deal with the whole detox process but symptoms seemed to worsen as the hours progressed.

"Nae?" King's low grumble pulled Renae from her daze as she stared out the window.

She could barely sleep knowing that King was going through one of the hardest moments of his life. After the first night of his detox, Renae had gone home at noon the next day and did some research about alcohol withdrawal and its effects. Most of the information scared her, so she's been doing her best to be as attentive as she could but she also knew that if things got worse, she would have to try to convince King into letting her take him to the hospital. She wasn't sure how he would take that but if push comes to shove, he wouldn't have a choice but to listen.

"Nae?"

"Hmm?" she tore her eyes from the moon and glanced over at King just to find him slumped over the edge of the bed reaching for the trash can.

"Shoot... sorry," she rushed over and held up the trash can and rubbed his back as he dry heaved. "You wanna try to eat some almonds or apples I sliced?"

"Nah," he inhaled, "It's fucking hot," he muttered, tossing the blanket from his body.

Touching his forehead, Renae sighed, "It's cold in here, King... but I think this is another side effect," she placed the trash can down and climbed in bed with him.

"Can you put it on sixty?"

Renae's eyes widened, "It's already on sixty-six."

"Nae," he groaned, staring at her through low eyes, "It's hot as hell, ma."

"Fine," she got up and headed toward the thermostat.

This is going to be a long night, she thought as she rejoined King in bed.