Chapter 13.) Stage 2: Denial

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Renae?!"

Rolling over, Renae shielded her eyes from the sun's glare and looked around her bedroom.

Knock! Knock! KNOCK!

"Nae?!"

Groaning, Renae slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes, "H... huh?"

"Open tha' door, ma," King's worried tone had mellowed.

"I'm coming," she exhaled as she slid off the bed and grunted when she felt the throbbing return.

"I'm... whew... I'm coming," she took a deep breath and put her sweater on. "Jesus," she sighed, raking her fingers through her hair as she took her time walking to the locked door.

When the hell did I lock myself in?

Her question quickly faded when King barged through the door and hugged her. Caught off guard but also not wanting him to know about what took place, she ignored the pain and stood there awkwardly as Kairo stood in the hallway watching the two.

"King... what's wrong?" She pulled back and studied him.

"You ain't answer my calls... I was nervous," he admitted, not wanting to go into detail since Kairo was watching the two like a hawk.

"I was sleeping, sorry," she laughed, walking towards the bed and sat down.

Kairo squinted his eyes and invited himself inside the room, "Everything ok?"

Renae nodded.

"Since when do you lock tha' door just to sleep?"

Renae recognized the expression on his face and became defensive, "I wasn't hurting myself."

Kairo held his hands up in mock surrender, "I never said dat, dukes."

"What's up?" King sat next to her and placed his hand on her back.

Keeping her expression neutral, Renae moved back and laid down, "Nothing, I'm just tired... I've been up since five."

Kairo glanced at his father then returned her curious gaze to his mom. That familiarly uneasy feeling had returned.

"Did Sy get home?" She asked, wanting to change the subject.

"Yeah, she's with Vava," Kairo answered, folding his arms, mirroring a young King. "Something happened with you and Trent?"

King stared at Renae wanting to know as well.

"No, I'm tired. Why are you guys interrogating me?" She frowned.

"We're not, but I'ma go," he said before walking away.

King stared at her for a moment then furrowed his brows, "Remember what I said at tha' studio?"

Renae nodded.

"Anything you wanna tell me?"

"I had a date then came home," she stressed.

"Ok," King decided to leave it alone.

"I'ma go talk with K.J... you mind if I come back to lay with you?"

Pondering, Renae stared at him, "You know I'm dating right?"

King smirked, "You said I could fight for you but I honestly just want to be under you before tha' twins touch down."

"Shoot!" Renae huffed. "I forgot they're coming here for the holiday."

King cocked his head; she's been extremely forgetful lately.