Chapter 51.) Reality Check

It was May the 21st, seven in the morning, it was cloudy out and a bit chilly but was supposed to warm up later. The family had more activities they wanted to do before they left tomorrow afternoon but Renae became conformed to the bed. After the intense blowup yesterday, Renae found herself blaming herself. Though she knew she did nothing wrong, she couldn't stop herself from dwelling on King's words. She knew he had every right to be upset. She knew it was out of fear but still, the anger in his eyes, the way he yelled at her, scared her.

The disappointment in his eyes was worst than someone stabbing her in the back. The tests said negative and though she wanted it to be exactly that, she knew as King stated, that in their world, negative meant positive. But she stopped the treatments, so there was a 50/50 chance that the tests were accurate.

In a way, she would admit that she was afraid to find out.

"I'm going to pick up breakfast with Dajon... you want anything to eat?" King asked Renae as she lay in bed staring at the blank tv screen.

It was too early for her to get up but she also couldn't sleep.

"Baybeh?" He sat on the side of the bed and stared at her.

"I'm not hungry," she spoke softly.

"Can we talk?" His eyes softened as he moved closer. "I hate seeing you like dis ma, I ain't mean to be so damn dumb, I was scared."

"Yeah," she rolled onto her back and stared at the ceiling, "I'm not mad."

"I know dat," he placed one hand on the other side of her and leaned towards her, "I hurt you and I'm sorry."

"I love you,"

"You know I love you," he smiled softly.

Renae stared at him for a moment then looked away.

"Talk to me, wassup?" He caressed her face.

"I meant it when I said I didn't want to argue anymore."

King sat up and stared ahead, "I got work to do."

"You have a lot on your plate..." she sat up and exhaled. Massaging her forehead, she stared at him, "I just need you to understand that I would never purposely do anything to risk my life let alone stress you out. Yes... I wanted a kid but when you said no more, that's exactly what I accepted. I stopped my treatments and I'm so confused because I don't even know if I'm pregnant or not. I've been having so many crazy symptoms... my hormones are out of whack and I'm terrified out of my mind. I'm still helping you recover, I wouldn't dare risk your sobriety like that."

"Don't even worry about dat, I'm managing. I'm worried about you," he cupped her face, "You and our kids are my world but you know I often lose my mind when it comes to you and I'm ok with admitting dat. Tha' way dat I reacted was uncalled for and I am genuinely sorry."

"And I'm sorry for making you think that I wasn't going to tell you-"

"Nah," King chuckled, "You told me but I only heard what I wanted."

"We're both guilty of doing that," she smiled softly.

"You've gotten better than me," he admitted.

Laughing, she draped her arms around his neck, "I love you, Papa Bear."

"You know," he rubbed his nose against hers, "You got my heart, forever."

"And you have mine," she cooed then laughed when he playfully bit her cheek.

"You forgive me?" He asked, staring at her.