Prologue

Aloha! This is my new story! I hope you like it!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR READING!!!

NOT EDITED!

~ENJOY~

© This story, "Teach me how to fly", is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Parents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/ epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorized copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution and selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any links, images, brand names or otherwise copyrighted material is not my own, and is not covered by my copyright. No Copyright Infringement intended.

PROLOGUE

Fear (noun) : a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined.

Avery's P.O.V.

As far as I can remember myself, being alone in the dark scared me to death. It gave me feelings of insecurity, self-consciousness and fear. Not the “monsters-in-closet” fear. More of the “monsters-in-soul” one. I guess that’s what made me and Ali best friends- our common past of fear, darkness and parental abuse.

We met at middle school when I realized we had something in common during PE.

After the lesson of P.E. that day, I realized I had forgotten my hoodie in the locker room. Going back in, I saw a black-haired girl changing into her normal clothes. I couldn’t understand. The lesson was over more than 15 minutes ago, why was she still in here? I figured out the answer when I saw a huge purplish bruise on her right arm. I, unconsciously, ran my fingers over my forearm. I stepped in the locker room and coughed nervously. The girl got dressed quickly and glanced at me before focusing her gaze on the floor.

“I’m Avery,” I said.

No response.

“What’s your name?” I insisted.

“I-I’m… Ali,” she muttered and then made her way to the door.

I let her go. She was afraid of me, probably. I mean, I had to work really hard in order not to be afraid of everyone around me.

Five days later, I saw her sitting on a bench at school, all alone. I decided to talk to her again. Without asking, I took a seat next to her and felt her body stiffen beside me.

“You don’t have to be afraid of me,” I said.

She nodded once.

I sighed. “I know what you’re going through”

She widened her eyes before turning to me.

“H-How?!” she stuttered in shock.

“I saw the bruise on your arm.”

“Th-that doesn’t mean you can understand me.”

I pulled the sleeve of my light blue top up revealing a bruise identical to hers on my forearm.

“You sure?” I asked.

“Your mother or father?” she asked playing with the tip of her black ponytail nervously.