Forty-Two

There goes my freedom 

The Wedding Aesthetic:

December 14th, 1978

The days had ran of out waiting for the wedding. As they ran out, so did the time with my mother. I spent everyday in Airson Palace waiting for when she would get better, even if there was no way she could.

She had been sick for a year now, and she only got worse. Kade had been preparing me for when the day might come that we have to say goodbye. He was letting go so easily, while I still talked myself into believing she would wake up fine one morning.

Beth ran the brush through my hair one last time, while I sat there in a daze. She looked over at Andromeda who was steaming my dress. Andromeda stood back to her feet and put a hand on my shoulder, "Monroe, you mother wants you happy today. Today you are marrying the man who you deeply love. Shouldn't that bring you even a little joy?"

I looked up and met Andromeda's eyes by looking in the mirror, "Nothing will make up for the fact that not only can I not have my father walk me down the aisle, but my mother can't either. I love Kade for stepping up, but it doesn't feel the same. Mum won't even be at the wedding."

Regulus entered the room trying to tie his tie, "Andy, can you help me? Kade's too busy trying to get James and Sirius to stop looking in the mirror. I would ask any other man in this house, but they aren't very fond of me."

Andromeda walked over to Regulus and fixed his tie for him, "Well the dress is ready, whenever you are. Kade will be here in thirty minutes to go show your mum first. Is there anyone else you would like to see you before you put the dress on?"

"Remus." I whispered. Andromeda and Beth shared a look, before both leaving to get him. Regulus came and sat on the couch. I looked back down at my feet, "Reg, I don't know if I can do this today?"

He crossed his leg over his knee and sat back, "And why is that? You and Sirius have had the date picked out for your wedding for a year now and you are just starting to get cold feet?"

I turned my head towards him, "It's not that, but how can I get married like this? I'm a mess and have trapped myself in this house since school ended? Dumbledore is letting you skip school for this wedding and not to mention, I can't go on a honeymoon because Tom is still killing people and my mother is dying!"

Remus stood outside the door, shaken from how high I raised my voice. Once I saw Regulus look at him, I snapped my head in his direction. He stood there in a formal suit, from one of Sirius' many collections.

He slowly walked towards me and gave me a stern look, "Don't start having cold feet now! If your excuse for not wanting to get married today is because of your mum, then that's fine, but I know if she knew you were saying that she wouldn't allow it. You are Monroe Airson and marrying Sirius Black. You got this!"