Twenty-Eight

Pureblood Mania

Above is Sirius Black and Monroe Airson's engagement photo for the Daily Prophet

MONROE

Most arranged marriages either turn enemies to lovers, or lovers to enemies. Very few are lovers that stay lovers. That's what I was scared of. I was scared that Sirius and I would end like his parents, or even worse. Mine.

My father was a good husband, before he cheated as my mother told me. He was in the muggle world and got drunk at a bar and slept with a muggle woman. He came home the morning after and didn't even try to hide it from my mother. He broke down sobbing when he told her.

She forgave him, but it got harder when there was a daughter involved. The woman he had slept with, had gotten pregnant. That not only meant he had a half-blood child, but also had a daughter who carried the Airson curse.

My half-sister's name was Maddie Scott. She was born in New York, and was murdered there when she was twenty-five. They blamed it as natural causes, but it really happened because her blood was boiled until she couldn't live anymore. My mother was happy to see my father die an uneasy death.

I sat in my library hallway, watching the waves by the cliff crash through the window. It calmed me when I was nervous about something. Today, I was supposed to go over to the Potter's home and talk to Sirius. Mother suggested we talk since we hadn't since the wedding.

That was July 2nd. It was now August 25th, and all of my friends would be coming over to stay the last week before the term started. Mother wanted all of us to be getting along without any tension between us. If only she knew there would always be tension.

My head turned from the window to the door down the far hallway, to see my mother entering the room. Kade and Beth had travelled around the world for their honeymoon, then decided to stay with Beth's family, until we all left for school. Kade hated leaving our mother alone in this big home.

She came and sat down beside me on the window seat, "You should be getting ready to go speak to Sirius. I know you have a lot on your mind, but maybe getting this over with will help ease your mind a little. You do have to talk about the arrangement."

"But, what if I don't want to?" I snapped, "What if it was just the thought of either of them in that home again that hurt me? Mum, I don't even know if I can spend the rest of my life with him. What if he's not the one for me?"

"You had your chance to think about that when Walburga offered you a way out. Monroe, I hate to say it, but this is your job as a pureblood wife now. You will be handed things on silver platers and choose which poison you play with. This is the life of a pureblood wife. Choose your weapons wisely, my dear." My mother offered me.

She sat up from her seat, "You know I love you, Monroe, but if you are second guessing your headspace because of a certain boy with the furry problem and a sweet smile, then see his head space before you risk everything. Go get ready and talk to Sirius."

I laid my head back on the windowsill and heard my mother's footsteps disappear and the door closed behind her. Something in me clicked and the adrenaline rush hit me. I marched towards my bedroom and got ready. Being a pureblood wife, means dressing the part as well.

I would make it my lifetime goal to never end up like all those other pureblood wives and mothers. I wanted to be like my own mother. Determined and classy at the sametime. Cline Flint could poison you with tea, and you wouldn't know. Cline Flint was what I strived to be.

My closet was filled with outfits that a pureblood wife would wear, but I wasn't going to be any pureblood wife. I would be the pureblood wife of Sirius Black. That required edge and class. I slipped on a black crop tank-top, ripped black jeans, my leather jacket, and combat boots.