Twenty-Nine

Feeling Weak

I locked down my trunk and sent it downstairs. Taking one last look at my room, I realized how much I would actually miss being here. I had never been one to love my home, but my mother worked so hard so Kade and I would feel welcome and loved here.

I put my wand in the pocket of my jeans, and held onto my leather jacket in my hand. I tied up the last tie on my combat boots, and worked my way out to the foyer. Lily and James were in a deep conversation with Remus and Peter, while Sirius, Regulus, Marlene, and Kade were all talking.

The sound of my boots against the marble stairs made everyone turn their attention towards me. I had been locked away in my room or training one last time with Grandmother Airson, all morning. No one dared to disturb me this morning.

Mother came out from the parlor and engulfed me in a warm loving hug. She acted like it would be our last hug. She pulled me away from everyone to speak to me privately, "Monroe, what you did this summer was very brave of you. Opening up about your house story was brave as well. That's why your traits for Gryffindor outruled Slytherin. Please, watch over Regulus. He doesn't have that close knit of friends. He has more followers. Just please be there for each other."

I pulled my mother into another hug, "I would have to be mental to ever leave Regulus on his own. He's the easiest person I can talk to in that school. I promise you that I will watch over him. We both will need each other a lot this year."

We both pulled away and used floo powder to get to the Hogwarts station. Kade pulled me aside, "I know Mum talked to you already, but as your big brother it's my job to talk to you. Please, promise me you won't do anything stupid. I'm not talking about pranks or hexing students, I mean stupid. I have heard Regulus talking about how he feels it's his job to end the reign of this Dark Lord. Please talk to him and don't do anything stupid and join his little quest."

I laughed, "If anything, Regulus should talk me out of going on a quest to stop this guy." Kade gave me a stern look, "Kade look, you can worry all you want, but I signed up for this when I joined the Order. It's time we turn the family name into something good."

Kade pulled me into a hug, "Just live for me, Monroe. I don't want to say goodbye to my little sister at such a young age. I'm just 23 now, and you have a whole life to live as well."

I made the promise then left Kade and Mother, so I could catch up with everyone. Sirius helped me put my bags up, since I was too short to reach the rack. Lily and James had to leave since they were both given the chance of being head boy and girl.

Marlene left to see her new girlfriend, Dorcas. We were all thrilled to hear the news after their third date this summer. Regulus had gone to sit with Ace, so he wouldn't have to face Carter and Snape alone. That meant I was stuck with Sirius,Peter, and Remus.

About two hours into the train ride, Peter spoke up, "Monroe, I never got the chance to ask, or any of us never did, but were you really almost put into Slytherin? Did the hat place you in Gryffindor just to save you?"

I saw Sirius and Remus tensed up, but I rested a hand on Sirius thigh and gave Remus a soft smile. I turned to Peter who seemed so sweet, "Yes, I was. We all know I had a hat stalling and it was between Gryffindor and Slyhtherin. The hat did say he put me in Gryffindor to save me, but also he said I have the bravery to dishonor my family without anyone encouraging me to do it."

Peter nodded and went back to eating the candy he had bought from the trolly. Everything seemed at peace, but then there was a bang on the compartment door. It was a girl holding the Daily Prophet. It was Sirius and I on the cover.