Chapter 57

I woke up to Sam and Dean talking,
I heard Dean say" It's called anime and it's an art form." I sat up, rubbing my eyes,
I mumbled" Wha's goin' on?"
Sam said" Sheriff Mills caught us a case. Why don't you go back to sleep, bud." I sighed, then laid back down, then I was lifted up by Sam. I whined at the suddenness, then realized how cold I was, I immediately cuddled into him, finding warmth. I squeezed my eyes shut and dug my face into his neck," He's still freezing cold."
Dean said" It took him ages to get over the last cold phase. He'll get over this one too, eventually."
" Yeah." I fell back to sleep as Sam held me in his arms, trying to help me get warm too.
———
We pulled up to an abandoned house,
Dean said" Well, this looks nice. Check around back?" Sam nodded, I looked at them.

Sam and I walked downstairs to Dean,
Sam said" Well, there's a semi-functioning bathroom and one un-rancid bedroom." He put the chair he was carrying down,
Dean said" Define semi-functioning, and do not use the words hole in the floor." Sam stayed silent then held out a fist and a flat palm. Rock, paper, scissors. Dean did the same, then... Dean lost, like normal. Always with the rock. He's never gonna learn.

I sat against the wall as Sam rolled out his sleeping mat,
Dean said" How does paper beat a rock? It's stupid." He walked away,
I said" He's a sore loser." Sam chuckled, looking at me, I sneezed, shaking my head.
Sam said" You okay?"
" Yeah, 'm okay." I rubbed my eyes, putting my head on my knees.

Once they got back from talking to a witness, they went into research mode, Dean put the journal down.
Dean said" Yep. Nothing that turns a dude into a crypt keeper. You?"
Sam said" Uh, well, greater Canton turns out kind of a hot spot for weird dead bodies."
" Hmm. You don't say."
" Yeah. News archives. They're not exactly reporting, uh, mummifies. But still- 1928, three deaths cited as spontaneous combustion. Bodies shriveled despite no signs of fire."
" Little stretch, but okay."
" '74, three bodies found with leathery decay. Uh, '57, three more- severe dehydration. This time one made the front page. Girl named Terry Cervantes found a corpse near her church."
" Any pattern here other than the location?"
" Random vics, random years. But they seem to drop in threes."
" That's two down, one to go. All right, let me drive for a sec."
" What, you gonna look up more anime, or are you strictly into Dick now?"
" Hmm."
" Are those local feeds?"
" Yeah."
" How did you do that so fast?"
" A little tutorial from Frank. Don't worry. We'll pretend this never happened. Now, uh, mummy numero dos was found at the gas n' sip near Main Street, correct?"
" Yeah."
" All right, well, here's all the cameras around that store."
" You need to teach me that trick."
" Hey, check it out- Timberlake."
" Wait a sec."
" You can't let me bask in the glory for one second, can you?"
" Shut up. Look."
" He hasn't aged a day, has he? All right, well, if he's been popping up for decades now, then somebody's bound to know who he is, right? Is there any chance that, uh, Terry's still local?"

We were scoping out a house,
Dean said" Dude, dude. Uh, fedora dude." We watched fedora dude walk down an alley way." All right, let's do this. Let's move fast."
Sam said" Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's the plan here, exactly?"
" Don't die." We got out, following the guy.

We saw him walking,
Dean said" He's heading downtown. All right, you take the street. I'll take the alley. I'll meet you in the middle. River, Sam." Sam grabbed my arm and we ran the other way.

We saw Dean running towards fedora guy, there was a bright red light, as Dean tackled him. Then when the light was gone, so was Dean and Fedora guy. I looked at Sam, gulping, my eyes glowed, Sam lifted me up as I froze.

Sam was putting up a board, I was breathing heavily, trying to not explode. Sam's phone rang,
Sam said" Dean? The thing that's been mummifying people took him in a frigging ball of light and disappeared. Yeah, more than most people. No, no, no, you didn't. A-All you did was just- Well, um... how do you feel about driving and lifting boxes?" I looked at him, then pulled my knees tighter against my chest.
———
Jody came in with boxes,
Sam said" Hey, let me, uh- let me help you with those."
Jody said" No, I got these. You go get the other 20 in my truck."
" Seriously?"
" Yeah. I think Bobby may have had a slight hoarding issue. I could barely get the door open on that storage locker-" I walked out.

I pulled at one of the boxes, I gasped as it wriggled and two boxes came falling,
I heard Sam say" River!" The boxes froze midair as my eyes glowed, then they lifted up and went to the ground. I breathed heavily, then fell as I got really dizzy, Sam was crouched next to me in seconds. He checked me over, I coughed, then slumped a little." Are you okay?" I nodded a little, he hugged me, holding my head then kissing it.
I whispered" What's wrong with me, Sammy?"
" Nothing is wrong with you, River, don't ever think that."
" Then why do I feel bad?"
" Because you're sick, it takes you a while to get over these power... surges."
" Why?"
" I don't know, buddy." I pouted, looking down," Wanna help me carry in boxes?" I nodded," Okay." He stood up, I held onto his hand and he pulled me up, I grabbed a box and started carrying it inside.

Jody said" Got it." Sam and I walked to her, looking at the screen." Looks like fedora man, 1968."
Sam said" Is that a- Is that a ring on his finger?"
" Uh..." She zoomed in," Yeah." Sam looked at the symbol then got up, grabbing a book. He walked back over to us,
" I know that symbol. God of time."
" That's crazy."
" The thing is, with the old gods, once upon a time they were just short of invincible. But they got a lot of their mojo from worshippers, from people feeding them."
" These days, not so much."
" Right, they're not what they used to be. But they make up for lack of power with being twice as pissed and a lot more hands-on."
" Okay. So why's this god killing people?" I yawned and walked away, as I shivered, I walked up the stairs.

I dug through my bag and pulled out my huge hoodie, I pulled it on, and grabbed Rexxy.

Jody said" That's it!"
Sam said" Dammit." At the same time, they looked at each other." Okay, yours sounds betters. You first."
" It says here that people could summon Chronos to compel him to tell them their futures."
" And I've got the spell to do it right here."
" So why the dammit?"
" 'Cause calling Chronos isnt the problem. It's making sure we summon him when Dean is right there... Literally with his hands on the guy, so he can surf him back."
" That's not automatic?"
" No, it's more like we need to get the time on their end right to the exact second."
" Or we get an angry god but no big brother?"
" And he's trapped there forever." Jody picked up a bottle,
" Fine, you ass. You win for once. Enjoy. R. Who's R?"
" Rufus, a family friend. Wonder what they were betting over?"
" Well, whatever it was, Rufus was a sore loser."
" Yeah."
" It's weird, huh? It's like their life's a big puzzle. You just keep finding pieces of it scattered all over the place. We should drink this. He'd want us to. Am I wrong?"
" It'd be rude not to."

I woke up to running, I stood up and saw Jody and Sam setting up a ritual. I tilted my head,
Sam said" Riv, stairs. Now." I ran to the stairs, climbing up a little then crouching down. Sam said some words, then there was a bright red light. Then I saw Dean and I guess Chronos,
Jody said" Dean!" She went to help Dean,
" Hey!" Sam went to punch Chronos, but Chronos grabbed his fist and threw him back.
Chronos yelled" No! You! Destroyed everything!" I saw the stick that slid out with Dean, my eyes glowed, it levitated and zoomed into Sam's hand, Sam ran to Chronos.
" Hey, Chronos!" Chronos turned to get stabbed," Was that the best you got?" He dropped to his knees,
" You want to know your future? I know your future. It's covered in thick black ooze. It's everywhere." He looked at Dean, then back to Sam," They're everywhere." He chuckled," Enjoy oblivion." He died, I looked at my brothers, that doesn't seem good.