Chapter 45

Sam said" Well, you know what? At least you tried."
Dean said" Yeah, a fat lot of good it did. Why did he even come, right?" Sam sighed," Well, Samuel's journals are pointless. I mean, I'm sorry, but Jebediah Campbell has squat to tell me... about to how to stop Cas from cracking Purgatory."
Bobby said" Well, actually, it's not about the journals we have. It's about the one we don't."
Sam said" Meaning what?"
" Well, that's the bad news. Our pal, Cas, didn't stop in last night just to mend fences."
Dean said" What did he do?"
" Stole something."
" What?"
" The journal of one Moishe Campbell."
Sam said" Moishe?"
" Of the New York Campbells."
" Wha-? So we gotta get it back, right?"
" Or just read the copy I had already made." Holding up the copy," Hi, glad to meet you. Bobby Singer, paranoid bastard."

Bobby said" I think I zeroed in on something."
Dean said" What do you got?" He took the paper as Bobby handed it to him," Went to talk to Howard Phillips about the events of March 10th." He handed Sam the coffee mug,
" That's March 10th, 1937."
" All right, so who's this Phillips guy?"
" Phillips ain't his last name. It's Lovecraft."
Sam said" Wait, HP Lovecraft? Let me se3 that." Sam took the paper,
Dean said" Am I supposed to know who that is?"
Bobby said" Horror writer. At the Mountain of Madness, The Call of Cthulhu."
" Yeah. No, I was too busy having sex with women."
" Anyhow, there's one notion that comes up over and over again in his stories. Namely, opening doors to other dimensions... and letting scary crap through."
" You don't say."
Sam said" So you're saying you think Lovecraft knew something about Purgatory?"
Bobby said" All I know is Moishe paid him a visit."

Dean's phone rang, he answered it,
He said" Ben? What?" He put down the paper and sat up," What are they? Did you see their eyes? Teeth? This is important, I need to know. Where are you now? Can you get to your mom's closet. I left a shotgun in there. Okay, Ben, listen to me. Go to your window and jump. Any bones you break won't compare to what they're gonna do to you, Ben. You've got to jump. I'm coming right now. I'm coming to get you and your mom, I promise. You with me, Ben? Ben. Ben." Dean looked at his phone then stood up as he put it back to his ear." Crowley, let them go, now. Or I swear- I'm going to kill you." He rubbed his face," I'm telling you. Last chance to let them go easy." Then after a few more seconds, he put his arm to his side.
Bobby said" What's the story?"
" He said Lisa and Ben keep breathing as long as we sit on our thumbs."
Sam said" You think Cas knows about this?"
" We gotta assume he does."
" So, what are we gonna do?"
" I'll tell you what we're not gonna do. Sit here. I'm going after them."
" I'm going with."
" No, Sam. You and Bobby stay on the Lovecraft thing, okay? Cas is way ahead of us."
" You gotta be nuts if you think I'll let you do this alone. Bobby can take care of the case."
Bobby said" No, guys-"
Dean said" Bobby... This is a big ball, okay? We can't drop it now."
" Fine. Then how are you two gonna find Lisa and Ben?"

Bobby left, I was stuck in the house, under warding, Sam and Dean's gonna summon Balthazar.
———
Sam walked in,
I said" Any luck?" He shook his head, I sighed," I can torture the demons too, bet I can get 'em to spill. Talking and guts. Let me out and I'll show you!"
He said" Nice try, River, but what with Dean told me, Crowley had an interest in whatever it is you can do, so you're on lockdown."
" I can handle Crowley! Let me out!"
" Sorry, bud."
" Traitor!" He walked out," This is freakin' child neglect! You traitor! I wanna help too! It's not fair! I'm old enough to understand now!" I huffed then sat down, criss-cross, I put my head in my hands, glaring at the door. I mumbled" I can help now... I'm bigger now, and stronger, if they'd just let me help."

I heard Balthazar say" Drinking your feelings, Sam? I thought that was your brother's bag." I looked over and saw Balthazar,
Sam said" Stressful times."
" Well, we need to talk."
" Why?"
" Because- I know I'm gonna live to regret this... but I'm officially on your team. You bastards."

Dean said" And we should believe you why?"
Balthazar said" Would you believe I had a shred of decency?"
Sam said" No."
" Oh, that hurts. Okay, you're right. It's survival. You see, I asked Cas some questions and I disliked his answers. He seems sure of himself for a man who wants to swallow a million nuclear reactors. I mean, these things can get a bit Chernobyl, you know? So voilà. Consider me your double agent. Oh, and I took the liberty of searching for your friends. Uh, took a while. Crowley's a clever one."
Dean said" You found them?"
" The upside is, yes. The downside is, no, I can't get them for you."
I said" Why not?"
" Because Crowley's angel-proofed... the whole bloody building. I guess he doesn't trust Cas. It seems that marriage is going swimmingly."
Dean said" Okay, well, get us as close as you can."
" Sure. But then you're on your own."

We appeared outside a huge building,
Balthazar said" All right, boys, this is where I get off. God be with you and what have you." Then he was gone, we saw a demon come out, we headed for him. Dean stabbed him and threw him over, Sam put him on the ground. We moved inside...

Dean said" All right, be careful." He went one way, I looked at Sam then went the other way.

I heard something behind me, I turned quick, but saw nothing, my eyes changed, I started walking again. Then I was jumped, I screamed as a demon grabbed me from behind, arm around my neck. I felt the energy ball up then explode, the demon was thrown from me as he lit up, dying. I got wobbly, I shook my head then kept moving, I saw another demon, I got angry. I focused on him, he levitated then slammed onto the ground, he looked at me with black eyes. I breathed heavily, then threw him down,
I said" Leave me alone!" I held out my hands and he exploded from the inside, I gulped. Then I was hit over the head, I collapsed, then everything went black.

I woke up to a gunshot, I tried to get up but my arms wobbled under my weight, I hit the ground hard. I squeezed my eyes shut then opened them, I got up, then took off running.

I saw a demon coming up behind Dean, carrying Lisa, with Ben... with a gun.
I said" No." I held out my hands, the demon flung into the air, then lit up, I dropped the body.
Dean said" River, kill whatever moves." He started walking again, I followed them, then I saw a demon coming again. The energy built up too much, I screamed as pain seared through me, the demon lit up, body falling. I zoned out...
———
Dean came out of the hospital, and walked over to us.
Sam said" Well?"
Dean said" Well, nothing." Dean got in, I looked at him,
" Dean, you know, you have pulled some shady crap before... but this has got to be the worst. Whitewashing their memories? Take it from someone who knows-"
" If you ever mention Lisa and Ben to me again, I will break your nose."
" Dean-"
" I'm not kidding." Sam nodded before closing his door, I looked at them, then laid back. I closed my eyes, immediately passing out.