Chapter 28

I was woken up by Dean ruffling my hair, then getting his hair stuck in the tangles, I whined loudly.
He whispered" Sorry, buddy. Want me to comb out your hair or is it staying tangled?"
I mumbled" Staying tangled."
" Wrong answer." I opened my eyes and looked at him, then rubbed my eyes, he chuckled." Come on, get up."
" Noo, go back to sleep." He got out of the car and opened the back door," Go away, loser."
" Loser? That's how I'm treated now?"
" Yep."
" All right. I'll take it. But you're getting out and letting me comb through those curls." I crawled out and rolled around, planting my feet onto the ground. He grabbed my bag and lifted me up onto the front of the car. I turned around and sat criss-cross, he grabbed my comb and started combing through my hair. Getting the knots out, I huffed but sat still so he didn't accidentally pull.

Dean walked back to the car,
I heard him say" Who died and made you boss?" He got in,
I said" Please tell me you somehow grew a mind and we're not going to the evil hunter base?"
" We're not going to the Campbell base, but not because I somehow grew a mind... what the hell is wrong with you? And Sam's in PA, he caught a case."
" I think it's the way I grew up." I smirked, tilting my head to the side,
" Oh, very funny, sarcastic ass. Here, Riv." He handed me the bag, I dug through it and grabbed my burger.
———
Dean was on the phone to Ben, Ben broke something and is scared to admit it to Lisa. We stopped behind Sam,
Dean said" Ben, I know you're lying." He got out," Because I lie professionally, that's how. Now, tell your mom that you broke the damn thing and take it like a man. Okay? Okay, okay." I got out and stood next to Dean,
Sam said" Wow."
" What?"
" You, molding the minds of tomorrow. Who knew?"
" Yeah, tell me about it."
" How did it go?"
" With?"
" You and Lisa. How did she take it when you bailed?"
" Shockingly cool, actually."
" Better for everybody."
" Yeah, I suppose. Still driving the plastic piece of crap, huh?" I followed them,
" What's your mileage again?" I laughed,
" Shut up. And you, get your ass back in the car." I stuck my tongue out at him and ran back to the car, I got in and locked the doors. I got down into the floor and covered myself with my blanket, I held Rexxy and started coloring.

Dean was totally racing Sam as they're headed to talk to a witness, I giggled as Dean cut in front of Sam and parked. They both got out, I rolled down the passenger window,
Sam said" Were you, uh... heh, were you racing me?" I giggled again,
Dean said" No. I was kicking your ass."
" Very mature." I shook my head, then sat down, I pulled out my switchblade and twirled it in my hand.

I was staring at the locusts they got from a cop's head,
Dean said" Sweet. Blood, boils, locusts."
Sam said" Three of your more popular Egyptian plagues."
" Yeah, but these guys ate their way out of a cop's melon. I don't quite remember that in the King James."
" Meanwhile, a kid named Christopher Birch... was shot in the head last month after a vehicle pursuit. Hatch, Gray, and Colfax were the officers involved... and they all filed the exact same police report."
" Suspect exited vehicle brandishing a firearm. We were forced to fire. Just a kid with no face and a planted gun. Bunch of dicks. So they popped the kid, planted the piece."
" Maybe Colfax is right. Maybe heaven had a hate on for bad cops."
" So we're listening to the guy with the bug in his custard? That's the, uh, theory you wanna go with?"
" Dean, angels gotta have something to do, right? Now that we're post-apocalypse."
" Maybe. You should call Cas."
" You're kidding, right? Dean, I tried. It was the first, and second, and third thing I did... soon as I got topside. Son of a bitch won't answer the phone."
" Well, let's give it a shot. Now I lay me down to sleep... I pray to Castiel to get his feathery ass down here."
" You're an idiot."
" Stay positive."
" Oh, I am positive."
" Come on, Cas, don't be a dick. Got ourselves a plague-like situation down here and... do you-do you copy?"
" Like I said, ahem, the son of a bitch..." Cas popped up behind him," Doesn't answer. He's right behind me, isn't he?" Sam turned around,
Cas said" Hello." Sam looked at Dean, Dean shrugged,
" Hello?"
" Yes."
" Hello. Hello?"
" Uh, that is still the term?" I dropped my head,
" I spent all that time trying to get through to you. Dean calls once and now it's hello?"
" Yes."
" So, what, you like him better or something?"
" Dean and I do share a more profound bond. I wasn't gonna mention it."
Dean said" Cas, I think what he's trying to say is that he went to hell for us. He really took one for the team, remember that? And then he comes back without a clue... and you can't take five freakin' minutes to give him some answers?"
" If I had any answers, I might have responded, but I don't know, Sam. We have no idea who brought you back from the cage and why."
Sam said" So it wasn't God?"
" No one's even seen god. The whole thing remains mysterious."
" What the hell does that mean?"
" What part of I don't know escapes your understanding?" I stood up,
Dean said" Cas, look, if Sam calls, you answer. Okay? You wing your ass down here and you tell him, I don't know. Just because we have some sort of a bond or whatever-"
" You think I came because you called. I came because of this."
" Well, it's nice to know what matters."
" It does help one to focus."
Sam said" Wait, so you and the Halo Patrol aren't the cause of these killings?"
" No. But they were committed with one of our weapons. There's only one thing that could have brought this into existence. You call it the staff of Moses."
" The Staff?"
" It was used in a dominance display against the Egyptians, as I recall."
Dean said" Yeah, that one made the papers."
Sam said" Well, I thought the staff turned, like, a river into blood, not one dude."
Cas said" The weapon isn't being used at full capacity. I think we can rule Moses out as a suspect."
Dean said" Okay, well, what is Chuck Heston's disco stick doing down here anyway? I mean, don't you guys put away your toys?"
" Before the apocalypse, heaven may have been corrupt... but it was stable. The staff was safely contained. It's been chaos up there since the war ended. In that confusion, a number of powerful weapons were stolen."
" Wait, you're saying your nukes are loose?"
" Yeah, I'm afraid so. But you've stumbled onto one of them. We must find the weapon that did this. I need your help."
Sam said" That's rich, really." Cas threw the bugs to Sam,
" Sam, Dean, my "people skills" are "rusty". Pardon me, but I have spent the last "year" as a multidimensional wavelength of celestial intent. But believe me, you do not want that weapon down there. Help me find it, or more people will die."
Dean said" All right, okay. Well, if the angels didn't pull the trigger, then that brings us back to motive."
" What?"
Sam said" Back to the case. And now we got three dead cops. Only thing linking them is this. Father of slain suspect calls for investigation."