Chapter 23

Season 5, Ep 1: Sympathy for the Devil
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Dean said" Come on." I was lifted up, everything was starting to get blurry.

I heard Dean say" What the hell?"
Sam said" I don't know." Then everything went dark for me.
——
I woke up, I squeezed my eyes tightly, then whined. Then I felt a hand on my face,
I heard Dean say" River? River... you awake?" I whined and nuzzled into his hand, he sighed," Wanna open your eyes for me?" I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, staring at him." What's my name, little man?"
I mumbled" De. Why?"
" Just making sure you remember. What the hell did you do?"
" I dunno."
" You don't know? You were covered in your own blood, your damn hand is blue and yellow, you passed out, and wasn't responding to anything."
" Was I breathing?"
" Barely."
" What happened?"
" Uh, nothing you need to worry about, it's fine."
" You're lying."
" No, I'm not." I huffed, then glared at him," I'm not lying, River. It's nothing you need to worry about. Just rest for a while." He got up and walked away from me, I laid back and stared at the ceiling.

Sam came in,
He said" Hey."
Dean said" Hey."
" Here. Hex bags. No way the angels will find us with those. Demons, either, for that matter."
" Where'd you get it?"
" I made it."
" How?"
" I... I learned it from Ruby."
" Speaking of... how you doing? Are you jonesing for another hit of bitch blood or what?"
" I-It's weird. Uh, tell you the truth, I'm fine. No shakes, no fever. It's like whoever... put me on that plane cleaned me right up."
" Supernatural methadone."
" Yeah, I guess. Dean-"
" Sam. It's okay. You don't have to say anything."
" Well, that's good. Because what can I even say? I'm sorry? I screwed up? Doesn't really do it justice, you know? Look, there's nothing I can do or say that will ever make this right-"
" So why do you keep bringing it up?! Look, all I'm saying is, why do we have to put this under a microscope? We made a mess. We clean it up. That's it. All right, so, say this is just any other hunt. You know? What do we do first?"
" We'd, uh, figure out where the thing is."
" All right. So we just got to find... the devil."
I said" Tell me what's going on?!"
" No."
" Tell me!"
" No!"
" Tell me!" I breathed heavily," Tell me!" I screamed," Tell me!" The ground started shaking,
Sam said" River, calm down."
" No! I'm tired of the lying! You always lie to me! Act like I can't handle it! I can handle more than you dummies think!" Then a force slammed me into the wall, I yelped then fell onto the bed,
Dean said" River!" I squeezed my eyes shut, holding my head, I felt their hands on me. Sam pulled me up, he pried my hands away from my head. I whimpered, he held my head,
Sam said" Not bleeding. Dean, maybe, we should just loop him in."
" He's already died once because we got him involved. He was four. I'm not letting him die again."
" His abilities are stronger, Dean, if he doesn't have them under control because he gets upset, he's gonna kill himself."
" We are fighting angels and demons and the damn devil. He is a kid, no matter how tough he wants to think he is, he's still a small kid."
" Dean, he's already involved, he's our little brother, you don't think angels and demons won't use him as an advantage against us."
" He won't know anything."
" They won't believe him."
" I don't care, I'll take him to a babysitter before I tell him anything."
" Seriously?"
" Yeah, seriously. He's a kid, he shouldn't have to carry this stuff on his shoulder. Maybe a few months at a sitter's will do him some good."
" Yeah, and grow his hatred for us? Dean, right now, he hates us, you know that. You send him away, he'll never love you again."
" It'll be worth it."
" Dean, just think about it."
" I will, and when I make that decision, it's final."
" Dean-"
" No. I raised him, I make the decisions for him."

I was laying on the other bed, away from them, Dean wants to send me away... I don't understand why! And he won't tell me why! There was a knock on the door, I looked at the door, Sam walked to the door, Dean held his gun. Sam opened the door,
He said" You okay, lady?"
A woman said" Sam... is it really you? And you're so firm." Huh?
" Uh... do I know you?"
" No. But I know you. You're Sam Winchester. And you're... not what I pictured. I'm Becky." She walked in," I read all about you guys and I've even written a few- anway... Mr. Edlund told me where you were."
Dean said" Chuck?"
" He's got a message, but he's being watched. Angels. Nice change-up to the mythology, by the way. The demon stuff was getting kind of old."
Sam said" Right. Just, um... what's the message?"
" He had a vision. The Michael sword is on earth. The angels lost it."
Dean said" The Michael sword?"
Sam said" Becky, does he know where it is?"
Becky said" In a castle, on a hill made of 42 dogs."
Dean said" 42 dogs?"
Sam said" Are... you sure you got that right?"
She said" It doesn't make sense, but that's what he said. I memorized every word..." She touched Sam's chest," For you."
" Um... Becky, c- Uh, can you... quit touching me?"
" No." She's strange.