Chapter 19

I was trying to do a backflip, Sam's been watching me fail for a little now, but I'm eventually gonna get it. I saw Dean wake up, I smiled and ran to Sam, Dean crawled out of the car.
Sam said" Hey. How'd you sleep?"
Dean groaned" How do you think? I'm starving. Let's get breakfast."
" Where? We're like two hours from anything."
" But I'm hungry now."
" There's probably a sandwich in the backseat still." I already looked, it's tuna, Dean won't eat it, he sniffed it, bad move, it reeks, then he gagged.
" It's tuna." Then a phone was ringing, I tilted my head, Dean reached into the car into the glovebox. He pulled out a phone, I looked at them,
" Isn't that dad's phone?" He nodded then answered it, I got bored and went back to trying to flip.
" Hello? He can't come to the phone. Can I help you?" I hit the ground, hard, I rubbed my back, giggling," Well, sorry to be the one to break this to you, pal, but John died more than two years ago." I looked at Dean," Who is this?" Dean made a face, what's going on?
———
We were meeting the guy from the phone, he claims to be Dad's son, Dean doesn't believe him. We pulled up to the diner, Dean's not gonna like what Sam found, we got out.
Sam said" Dean, look, best I can tell, Adam Milligan is real. Um, born September 29th, 1990, to Kate Milligan. No father listed on the birth certificate. He's an eagle scout, graduated from high school with honors, and currently goes to the university of Wisconsin- biology major, pre-med. Dean? You listening?"
Dean said" This is a trap." He closed the trunk, and walked away, I looked at Sam, he looked at Dean then me.
" Come on, Riv." I grabbed his hand as we followed Dean into the diner.

Dean dragged a chair to the other side of the table, I sat on it,
Sam said" Dean, I'm telling you- the kid checks out."
Dean said" Great, so he's an actual person on the planet earth. Sucks he's got a demon in him."
A waitress said" Hi. Welcome to Cousin Oliver's."
Sam said" Thanks."
" Can I-"
Dean said" We're actually waiting on somebody." She walked away, Dean grabbed the glass of water and poured it out.
Sam said" What are you- holy water?"
" Yep- one sip of Jesus juice, and this evil bitch is gonna be in a world of hurt."
" And what if he's not possessed?"
" Then he is a shapeshifter."
" Hence the silver."
" Look, either way, this thing is gonna bleed. I mean, using dad as bait? That's the last mistake of its short, pitiful life." Sam was staring at him," What? What?"
" Dean... Listen- there's an entry in dad's journal from January of 1990 saying he's headed to Minnesota to check out a case. That's, roughly, oh, about nine months before the kid was born."
" Coincidence."
" Coincidence? Next two pages of the journal- torn out."
" You're not actually buying this, are you?"
" Look, man, I don't want to believe it, either. Im just saying it's possible. I mean, dad would be gone for weeks at a time, and he wasn't exactly a monk." I got bored with their conversation, I dug into my pockets and found a race car, sweet! I drove it up Dean's arm.
" Adam?"
A guy said" You Sam?" I looked up and saw the guy, he looked like Sam and Dean, uh-oh. Dean's not gonna be happy.
" Yeah. Uh, this is Dean and River."
" Hi. So, um... how'd you know my dad?"
" Uh, we worked together."
" How did he die?"
" On the job."
" He was a mechanic, right?"
Dean said" A car fell on him." Oh, so we're doing the lying thing until they can figure out if he's a human or not, and if he's not, then we gotta kill him, and if he is... Dean still might hurt him. I'm not really sure yet. But this probably won't end well, it never does, ever. I rubbed my eyes, then saw Adam drinking from the glass that Dean switched. He didn't burn, so, probably not a demon.
Sam said" So, uh... So, when's the last time you-you saw John?"
Adam said" I don't even know, it's... a couple years." Dean pulled out his gun, I looked at him.
" W-Why did you decide to call him now?"
" I didn't know who else to call. He's the only family I got. My mom's missing."
" Really? I'm sorry, uh, for how long?"
Dean said" It's tragic- really. But if you're John's kid, how come we've never heard of you?"
Adam said" 'Cause John and me didn't really know each other. Not until a few years ago, anyway."
Sam said" What do you mean?"
" My mom never talked about him. I knew some stuff."
Dean said" What kind of stuff?"
" My mom's a nurse, and dad came into the ER pretty torn up- hunting accident or something. And I knew his name- John Winchester. That's about it. We're not exactly a nuclear family."
Sam said" Yeah, well, who is these days?"
Dean said" So, when did you, uh, when did you finally meet him?"
Adam said" When I was 12. My mom had one of his old numbers, and..." Dean pointed the gun," And after I begged her-god, 24/7- she finally called him. God, when John heard he had a son, he raced to town. I mean, he dropped everything. He drove all night."
" Well, that's heartwarming."
" You mind?"
" No, please- dig in."
" He would swing by once a year or so, you know, called when he could." He grabbed the silver, not a shifter," But still... he taught me poker and pool, and even bought me my first beer when I was 15. And, uh... he showed me how to drive. Dad-" Oh, no." He had this beautiful '67 impala." At least he put the gun away.
" Oh, this is crap. You know what- you're lying."
" No, I'm not."
" Uh, yeah, you are."
" I'm sorry, but who the hell are you to call me a liar?"
" We're John Winchester's sons, that's who. We are his sons."
" I've got brothers?"
" No, you don't have brothers. Look, man, I don't know if you're a hunter or what kind of game you're playing here."
" I have never been hunting in my life."
" Whatever. I'm out of here. Come on, Sam." Dean got up, and walked away,
" I can prove it."