Chapter 4

Dean came into the motel room, he was mad, Sam did something bad. Dean grabbed his bag,
Sam said" Dean, what are you doing? What, are you-are you leaving?"
Dean said" You don't need me. You and Ruby go fight demons."
" Hold on. Dean, come on, man." Dean swung, I squeezed my eyes shut, covering them with my hands." You satisfied?" Another punch," I guess not." I peeked from my fingers, gulping,
" Do you even know how far off the reservation you've gone? How far from normal? From human?"
" I'm just exorcising demons."
" With your mind! What else can you do?"
" I can send them back to hell. It only works with demons, and that's it."
" What else can you do?!"
" I told you!"
" And I have every reason in the world to believe that."
" Look, I should have said something. I'm sorry, Dean. I am. But try to see the other side here."
" The other side?!"
" I'm pulling demons out of innocent people."
" Use the knife!"
" The knife kills the victim! What I do, most of them survive! Look, I've saved more people in the last five months then we save in a year."
" That what Ruby wants you to think? Huh? Kind of like the way she tricked you into using your powers? Slippery slope, brother. Just wait and see. Because it's gonna get darker and darker, and god knows where it ends."
" I'm not gonna let it go too far." Dean hit a lamp,
" It's already gone too far, Sam. If I didn't know you... I would want to hunt you. And so would other hunters."
" You were gone. I was here. I had to keep on fighting without you. And what I'm doing... it works."
" Well, tell me. If it's so terrific... then why'd you lie about it to me? Why did an angel tell me to stop you?"
" What?"
" Cas said that if I don't stop you, he will. See, what that means, Sam- that means that god doesn't want you doing this. So, are you just gonna stand there and tell me that everything is all good?" I laid down, closing my eyes, squeezing them shut, go to sleep, go to sleep.

I was staring at all the blood, tilting my head, Lilith walked to me,
She said" I never knew a human could be so cute!" She poked my nose, she giggled," Betcha your brothers are even cuter!" She disappeared, I screamed as pain seared through me, then started coughing up more blood, I spit out a blood ball and watched it fall to the ground. I started sobbing, trying to get out of the chains, but they put them on tighter this time, I got out last time... they always put them on tighter when I manage to get out. I breathed heavily, trying harder and harder, hurting myself trying to get out.
I screamed" Deeee! Sammy! Deeean!" A demon started slashing at me, I screamed louder...

I screamed, jolting up, I started sobbing, while screaming. I felt the car swerve then stop, the ground started shaking again. Why does that keep happening?! I got more scared and sobbed more,
I heard Dean say" River! River!" I was shaken," Hey, hey, you're okay, you're all right." I pushed back as hands grabbed me, I kicked blindly, then I was being held down. I struggled, trying to get out." River, open your eyes, buddy, hey, hey, just open your eyes." I opened my eyes, everything was fuzzy, but focused after a few seconds. I saw Sam and Dean holding me down, against the seat, they let go of me. Dean grabbed me and pulled me up to be in between them, I couldn't stop crying," Shh, hey, Buddy, shh, shh, you're okay, you're okay, River. He's not calming down." He started rocking me," Shh, River, you're okay, you're okay, shh, it's okay, big brothers are right here. Shh, shh, shh."
Sam said" I got an idea. Do you remember any of the lullabies he used to listen to?"
" They're seared into my brain."
" Press the side of his head against your chest and hum one of 'em." The side of my head was held gently, I felt Dean start humming...
After a few minutes, I stopping crying, starting to sniffle, I nuzzled my face against Dean's chest. I heard both my brother sigh,
Dean said" Hey, buddy, you feel better?" I nodded, feeling the ground stop shaking," Wanna tell us what happened?"
I mumbled" Nightmare."
" Uh, what was the nightmare about?"
" Hell."
" Wanna tell us about it?"
" Demons liked me."
Sam said" Liked you? How?"
" I'm innocent. Demons liked that."
" Riv, did they hurt you?"
" Chains. I'd slip out sometimes... and try to run away but they always found me. I'd start screaming for Sammy and De..." My head flopped against Dean's chest, my eyes closed," I'd cry a lot... for you, they'd laugh..." I fell back to sleep.
——
They were spying on a guy,
Dean said" Are you sure that's him?"
Sam said" Only Jack Montgomery in town."
" And we're looking for..."
" Travis said to keep an eye out for anything weird."
" Weird?"
" Yeah."
" All right, well, yeah, I've seen big weird, little weird, weird with crazy on top. But this guy? I mean, come on, this guy's boring."
" I don't know, Dean. Travis seemed pretty sure." After a few minutes, they've been spying," I'd say that qualifies as weird."