Chapter 34

I was staying close but not too close, Sam and Dean have been talking to people, there's four missing people. Everyone's been saying aliens, except for the cop, but that was predictable. They were talking to a woman, who says it's fairies.
I heard Sam say" Flying saucers not insane enough for you?"
The woman said" What newspaper did you say you worked for?"
" Okay, if you want to add glitter to the glue you're sniffing, fine. But don't dump your wackadoo over us, we'd rather not step in it."
Dean said" Okay, we-we're done."
" The only thing you're missing is a couple dozen cats." Dean grabbed him, pulling him back,
" Yeah. It's a blood sugar thing. My apologies." They walked away, I walked up to them,
" What?"
" What? You gotta ask? Right, yes. You do have to ask." I step like 7 feet away from him and he lets Sam off his reins!
" Sorry, but this is all a big joke, right? We're not actually taking this ufo crap seriously?"
" No, man, ET is made of rubber, everybody knows that. But there are four legitimate vanishings in this town. Something's going on. And Sam, by the way, it's not the lady's fault she took the brown acid."
" Yeah? So?"
" Empathy, man. Empathy. I mean, the old Sam would have gave her some wussified, dew-eyed crap."
" Old Sam had a soul. Was a soul. Whatever."
" Right. Yes. And- But you don't. Or aren't. Whatever."
" Right."
" Right. You don't care."
" Well-"
" You have to care."
" About what, exactly?"
" About everything, man. About being human, at least."
" Look, Dean, you obviously care a lot and that's great. But-But I can't care about what- What I can't care about, you know? What do you want me to do, fake it?"
" Yes. Absolutely. Fake it. Fake it till you make it."
" What happened to you wanting me to be all honest?"
" Hey, you wanna be a real boy, Pinocchio, you gotta act the part."
" I was faking it, Dean. Ever since we got back on the road together. I was picking every freaking word. It's exhausting."
" Okay. All right. But until we get you back on the soul train... I'll be your conscience, okay?"
" So you're saying you'll be my Jiminy Cricket." I giggled,
" Shut up. But, yeah, you freaking puppet. That's exactly what I'm saying." I got into the car, Sam got in after us,
I said" Can I hit him any time he's acting bad?"
Sam said" No."
Dean said" River, buddy, do you actually care... or do you just want an excuse to hit one of us?" I slapped his shoulder then Sam's,
I said" I don't need an excuse."
" I'm gonna dose you up with so much sleeping medicine you'll sleep for a week."
" Your threats are empty."
" You're so freakin' grumpy on your..."
Sam said" 96 hours of no sleep. Not even a nap. I'm gonna break the next tv that plays Dora."
I screamed" Try me, green giant!" The ground started shaking, I glared at Sam, breathing heavily.
Dean said" Okay, okay, River, River, look at me." I looked at him," Stop it." I calmed down," Buddy, you need some sleep, there's no way you're not going insane in that little head of yours."
I said" I tried! I did, I tried to go to sleep, but the nightmares won't stop! And the energy won't go away!"
" Okay, okay, I know, buddy, I know. Just... you've gotta try harder, okay? I know it's tough."
" You don't know anything! You're both stupid heads who only depend on each other and when one of you is down, the whole world is down!" I breathed heavily, I squeezed my eyes shut," Well, I need at least one brother! 'Cause I'm a kid! I can't take care of myself all the time!" The energy let go, I yelped as my body pushed up then I dropped onto the seat, as the car went crazy. It stopped after a few minutes, I blinked slowly, breathing slowly. Dean started driving, he doesn't talk to me after the energy goes nuts. I don't want to talk after it goes nuts. It's scary.

Dean got back in the car, Sam not with him, he looked back at me before driving off.
He said" So, Sam's tailing a vic's parent, we think he knows something he's not telling us. Me and you, we're gonna go check out a crop circle. See if we can find anything about what we're hunting. And you're coming with me 'cause you're way smarter and you usually catch things we miss. You feeling at least a bit sleepy yet?"
I said" No."
" All right."