Chapter 20

We were walking through some building, I was rubbing my eyes while Sam dragged me behind them.
Sam said" What'd he say, Dean? What was so important?"
Dean said" If I knew, would I be here?" Cas came to Dean in his dream. We walked up some stairs, the place was destroyed." What the hell?"
" It looks like a bomb went off." Electricity was cracking everywhere,
" There was a fight here."
" Between who?"
" Check it out." We turned around and saw a sigil drawn in blood." Look familiar?"
" Yeah, it does."
" Anna used something like that to wish the angels back to the cornfield."
" So, what? Cas was fighting angels?"
" I don't know. Sam." We followed him and saw Cas on the ground," Cas! Hey! Cas!" He woke up,
He said" What's-What's going on?"
" Just take it easy. Take it easy."
Sam said" Cas, you okay?"
He said" Castiel? I'm not Castiel. It's me."
" Who's me?"
" Jimmy. My name's Jimmy."
Dean said" Where the hell is Castiel?"
" He's gone."

We were watching Jimmy eat,
Dean said" Mind slowing down? You're gonna give me angina."
Jimmy said" I'm hungry."
Sam said" When's the last time you ate?"
" I don't know- months." He continued eating,
" What the hell happened back there? It looked like an angel battle royal."
" All I remember is there was a flash of light, and I, uh... I-I woke up, and I was just, you know, like, me again."
Dean said" So, what- Cas just ditched out of your meat suit?"
" I really don't know."
Sam said" You remember anything about being possessed? Anything at all?"
" Yeah, bits and pieces. I mean, angel inside of you- it's kind of like being chained to a comet."
Dean said" Well, that doesn't sound like much fun."
" Understatement."
Sam said" Cas said he wanted to tell us something. Please tell me you remember that."
" Sorry."
Dean said" Come on. What do you know?"
" My name is Jimmy Novak. I'm from Pontiac, Illinois. And I have a family."

We were outside,
Sam said" So, what do we do?"
Dean said" What do you mean? The guy's got a family. We buy him a bus ticket, send him home."
" I don't know about that. Dean, he's the only lead we got."
" He doesn't know anything."
" Are you 100% about that?"
" You think he's lying? What, you want to go Guantánamo on the guy?"
" Dean, maybe he doesn't even know what he knows." Huh?
" Huh?"
" I say at least we get him to Bobby's. Maybe all he needs is- is a hypnosis or a p-psychic, or, hell, maybe Cas will just drop back into him."
" I don't know, man."
" Dean, back there, that was angel on angel violence. Now, I don't know what's going on, but it's big, and we can't just let the only lead we've got just skip out. What?"
" Remember when our job was helping people- like getting them back to their family?"
" You think I don't want to help him? I'm just being realistic. I mean, hell, we're doing him a favor."
" How?!"
" Dean, if we want to question the guy, you can damn well bet the demons do, too."

They told Jimmy that he can't go home,
Jimmy said" What the hell are you talking about, I can't go home?"
Dean said" There's a good chance you have a bully's-eye on your back."
" What? From who?"
" Demons."
" Oh, come on. That's crazy. What do they want with me?"
" I don't know- information, maybe."
" I don't know anything!"
" I know, but-"
" Look, I'm done, okay? With demons, angels- all of it. I just want to go home."
" We understand."
" No, I don't think that you do understand. I've been shot and stabbed and healed, and my body's been dragged all over the earth. By some miracle, I'm out, and I am done. I've given enough, okay?"
Sam said" Look, all we're saying is that until we figure this out, the safest place is with us?"
" How long?"
" We'll cross that bridge when we get to it." Jimmy tried to leave, Sam blocked the door.
Dean said" Where you going?"
Jimmy said" To see my wife and daughter, okay?'
Sam said" No, you're not. You're just gonna put those people in danger."
" So, what- Now I'm a prisoner?"
" Harsh way to put it."
———
Jimmy got the slip on Sam, we were going to get him, Anna appeared in the backseat, next to me.
She said" Hey, guys." Dean swerved, I smiled," Smooth."
Dean said" You ever try calling ahead?"
" I like the element of surprise."
" You look terrific."
" Um... yeah. Not the most appropriate time, Dean. You let Jimmy get away?"
" Talk to Ginormo here."
" Sam... You seem... different."
Sam said" Me? I don't know. Haircut?"
" That's not what I'm talking about. So, what'd Jimmy tell you? He remember anything?"
Dean said" Why? What's going on?"
" It's Cas. He got sent back home. Well, mode like dragged back."
" To Heaven? That's not a good thing?"
" No. That's a very bad thing. Painfully, awfully bad. He must have seriously pissed someone off."
" Cas said he had something to tell me- something important."
" What?"
" I don't know."
" Does Jimmy know?"
" I don't think so."
" You don't think so? Whatever it is, it's huge. You got to find out for sure."
Sam said" That's why we're going after Jimmy."
" That's why you shouldn't have let him go in the first place. He's... probably dead already."

I was bouncing in the seat, I yawned, Dean was getting gas, I stopped bouncing, I blinked slowly. I rubbed my eyes then continued bouncing,
Dean said" River, freeze, dude." I huffed but stopped and sat on my knees, I scratched my head then yawned again.

We got to Jimmy's, we ran in, there were already demons. Dean slit a throat, Sam stopped the other demon.
Sam said" Go! Get them out of here!"
Dean said" Go! Go!" I ran out with them, just in case there's any more demons, they usually work in groups. Dean ran back in, then he and Sam ran out, I sighed, then looked at them." Where's your wife?"
She said" Right here."
" Let's go!" We all got in and Dean drove off fast.

We were at a gas station,
Jimmy said" You were right."
Dean said" Sorry we were."
" But I'm telling you- I don't know anything."
" I don't think they're inclined to believe you."
Sam said" And even if they did, you're a vessel. They're still gonna want to know what makes you tick."
" Which means vivisection... if they're feeling generous."
" I'm gonna tell you once again- You're putting your family in danger. You have to come with us."
Jimmy said" How long? And don't give me that cross that bridge when we get to it crap."
" Don't you get it? Forever. The demons will never stop. You can never be with your family. So, you either get as far away from them as possible or you put a bullet in your head, and that's how you keep your family safe, but there's no getting out and there's no going home."
Dean said" Well, don't sugarcoat it, Sam."
" I'm just telling him the truth, Dean. Someone has to."

We were driving, Sam hot wired a car for Jimmy's wife, now we're going somewhere. I'm kinda too sleepy to pay attention.
Dean said" What the hell happened back there?"
Sam said" What?"
" You practically fainted trying to gank a demon."
" Okay, I didn't faint. I got a little dizzy."
" Well, you can call it whatever you want. Point is, you used to be strong enough to kill Alastair. Now you can't even kill stunt demon number three?"
" What do you want me to say about it, Dean?"
" For starters, what's going on with your mojo? I mean, it's yo-yo'ing all over the place. Now, I'm not trying to pick a fight here, okay? I just- Y-You're scaring me, man."
" I'm scaring myself." Sam's phone rang, he answered," Hello? Who is this?" He reached back and hit Jimmy," Hey. It's your wife."
Jimmy said" Amelia? Oh, my god."

We got out, Jimmy's wife was possessed, and the demon is holding his family hostage.
Dean said" All right, they're expecting you to come alone. That's exactly what you're gonna do."
Sam said" We'll work our way through the catwalks. We'll be right behind you."
" All you got to do is stay calm and stall and let us do our job."
Jimmy said" You want me to stay calm? This is my family we're talking about."
" Listen to me- this will work. You understand? Nobody's gonna get hurt."
" Whatever. Give me a minute, okay?" He walked away,
Sam said" There's no way they're expecting him to come alone, Dean. You know this is probably a trap."
Dean said" Yeah, I know. That's why I have a plan."
I said" I don't like your plans." Dean scoffed," You usually get beat up in them." Sam scoffed.

We were dragged into the building, a demon had me by the back of my shirt tightly, and a hand tightly around my throat. I was getting really dizzy, he was cutting off my air flow.
Sam said" Nice plan, Dean."
Dean said" Yeah, well, nobody bats a thousand."
The demon said" Got the knife?" One of the hench-demons held up the knife, I squirmed." And you know what's funny?"
" You wearing a soccer mom?"
" Is I was actually bummed to get this detail. Picking up an empty vessel? Sort of like a milk run. Now look who landed in my lap."
Sam said" Yeah, well... you got us, okay? Let these people go." I couldn't breathe, I couldn't get a good breathe.
" Oh, Sam. It's easy to act chivalrous when your wonder girl powers aren't working, huh? Now for the punch line- everybody dies." She had a gun pointed at Sam, then she turned and shot Jimmy," Waste little orphan annie." Then Cas showed up, finally! He was possessing the girl, he killed the demon about to kill her. I kicked the demon holding me in the shin, he let go of me. I dodged a hit, wobbling a little, breathing heavily. I stood back up and he tried to grab me, his body froze. I tilted my head, he slammed into the ground so hard... I think I heard his skull crack open. Then Cas killed him, I've got powers? Cool. I stood next to Dean, Sam was drinking demon blood, he looked up to us. Then he stabbed the demon with the knife, he stood up and held out his hand at us. I looked behind me and saw the demon possessing Amelia. I moved to Dean, he moved us back, Sam exorcised the demon, Amelia fell to her knees. Dean let go of my arm and helped Amelia, I held my neck, ow.
We walked to Jimmy and Cas, Cas took back Jimmy's meat suit. Amelia ran to Claire, Cas walked past us.
Dean said" Cas, hold up. What were you gonna tell me?"
Cas said" I learned my lesson while I was away, Dean. I serve heaven. I don't serve man. And I certainly don't serve you." He walked away.

We were in the car,
Sam said" All right. Let's hear it." I covered my head with one of their flannels and closed my eyes, squeezing them shut, I finally fell asleep.