Chapter 6

I was waiting in the car, I pouted then saw Sam and Dean, I smiled, finally! They take forever! Then Dean walked a completely different way, even though he was right here! I tilted my head, that's weird, Sam looked at him then to me. I shrugged, then sat back, waiting for them, they got in.

They went into another house, talking to the vic's neighbor. I rolled over in the seat, and played with the toy dinosaur Dean bought me. It was a t-rex, I've named him Artie. He looked like an Artie.

I was watching Dean scratch his arm, repeatedly, constantly... I think something's wrong. Sam got into the car, Dean jumped just a little, okay, what's going on?
Sam said" Hey. Any luck at the county clerk's office?"
Dean said" I'm not sure I'd call it luck. Frank's wife, Jessie, was a manic-depressive. She went off her meds back in '88 and vanished. They found her two weeks later, three towns over, strung up in her motel room- suicide."
" Any chance Frank helped her along to the other side?"
" No, Frank was working the swing shift when she disappeared. Airtight alibi." He started driving, pulling off into the road," How was Frank's pad?"
" Clean. Searched it top to bottom. No EMF, no hex bags, no sulfur."
" So probably no ghosts, no witches, no demons." Sam scoffed," 3 down and 97 to go."
" Yeah. Dude, you're going 20."
" And?"
I said" That's the speed limit."
" What? Safety's a crime now?" I looked at Sam, tilting my head, then we passed our hotel.
Sam said" Dude, Where are you going? That was our hotel."
" Sam, I'm not gonna make a left-hand turn into oncoming traffic. I'm not suicidal. Did I just say that? That was kind of weird."
" Do you hear something?" Sam pulled out the EMF, and put it towards Dean, it clicked, then pulled it away, it stopped. Then again.
" Am I haunted? Am I haunted?!"
——
I was on Sam's back, eating a doughnut,
He said" Yeah, all right, Bobby. Keep looking." We kinda found out what Dean has and it's really bad, so now we gotta figure out how to reverse it. Quickly. I heard Eye Of The Tiger playing, I looked at the impala, Sam started walking over. He put me down as we looked at Dean, he was drumming along, Sam hit the roof, Dean jumped. Dean turned off the music and got out,
Dean said" Dude. Look at this." I looked at the marks on his skin, I sighed,
" I just talked to Bobby."
" And?"
" Um, well, you're not gonna like it." Dean threw the box of doughnuts into the car, huh?!
" What?"
" It's ghost sickness."
" Ghost sickness?"
" Yeah."
" God, no."
" Yeah."
" I don't even know what that is."
" Okay. Some cultures believe that certain spirits can infect the living with a disease, which is why they stopped displaying bodies in houses and started taking them off to funeral homes."
" Okay, get to the good stuff." Sam lifted me up, and smiled at me, I huffed.
I said" Symptoms are you get anxious..."
" Yeah."
" And scared..."
Sam said" Then really scared, then your heart gives out. Sound familiar?"
Dean said" Yeah, but, Sam, we haven't seen a ghost in weeks."
" Well, I doubt you caught it from a ghost. Look, once a spirit infects that first person, ghost sickness can spread like any sickness through a cough, a handshake, whatever. It's like the flu. Now, Frank O'brien was the first to die, which means he was probably the first infected. Patient zero."
" Our very own outbreak monkey."
" Right. Get this- Frank was in Maumee over the weekend. Softball tournament... which is where he must have infected the other two victims."
" Were they gamecocks?"
" Cornjerkers."
" So, ghosts infected Frank, he passed it on to the other guys, and I got it from his corpse?"
" Right."
" So now, what, I have 48 hours before I go insane and my heart stops?"
" More like 24."
" Super."
" Yeah."
" Well, why me? Why not you? I mean, you got hit with the spleen juice."
" Yeah, um, you see, Bobby and I have a theory about that, too. Turns out all three victims shared a certain, uh, personality type. Frank was a bully. The other two victims- one was a vice principal, the other was a bouncer."
" Okay."
" Basically, they were all dicks."
" So, you're saying I'm a dick?"
" No, no, no. It's not just that. All three victims used fear as a weapon, and now this disease is just returning the favor."
" I don't scare people."
" Dean, all we do is scare people."
" Okay, well, then, you're a dick, too."
" Apparently, I'm not."
" Whatever. How do we stop it?"
" We gank the ghost that started all this. We do that, the disease should clear up."
" You thinking Frank's wife?"
" Who knows why she killed herself, you know? Hey, what are you doing waiting out here, anyway?"
" Our room's on the fourth floor. It's-It's high."
" I'll see if I can move us down to the first."
" Thanks."
" Sure." Sam grabbed my hand, and we walked into the office, I stuffed the rest of my doughnut into my mouth. Sam looked at me," Chew, River." I chewed, then swallowed, smiling at him,
I said" What's a dick?" He coughed then huffed,
" Uh..." He scratched the back of his neck," A dick is a jerk, you know, a bully."
" Okay!"