Chapter 49

I woke up, feeling something heavy around my mouth and nose, I whined loudly, starting to squirm. Then I saw a woman,
She said" Hey, sweetie, it's okay, you're gonna be okay." Then I couldn't stay awake anymore...

I woke up, I looked around, I was in a hospital room, I tilted my head then saw an IV in my arm, I pulled it out. I blinked a few times, before sitting up, my eyes glowed, I pulled off the stickers on my body, then the machine started beating. I stared at it, tilting my head, it shut off, I saw my bag, I smiled,
I said" Rexxy, come." My bag levitated to me," Shoes, come." My shoes levitated over to me, I smiled then felt really dizzy, oh, man!," Sam! Dean!" I pulled on my clothes, staring at the gauze wrapped around my arms and legs in some spots, then on my stomach and side. The fire at Bobby's... the black smoke... the monster! Oh, no, I'll bet we're at Sioux Falls general! That's not good!

Once my clothes were on, I swung my legs off the bed, yelping as pain filled my senses. The door opened and I saw Bobby, I sighed,
I said" Where's Sam and Dean?"
He said" Get to the ambulance dock, Dean should be on the way, I'm getting Sam."
" Okay." He walked out, I stood up, wobbling then falling, any adrenaline rush I had was gone and I was back to feeling absolutely terrible. I gulped then got up, I clenched my jaw then started walking, I got to the door, pulling it open. I looked out before moving, pulling my hood over my head and putting my bag on my front inside of back. I kept to the wall as I looked at the signs, my vision blurred before my eyes glowed and I could see clearly. I sighed then started walking, I coughed, whimpering as my lungs burned.

I got to the ambulance dock, I saw Bobby putting Sam in the back of an ambulance, I whined, then all the energy left me. I dropped, Bobby lifted me up, and climbed into the ambulance. He sat me in the middle area and hot wired it,
He said" Come on, Dean. Balls. Come on, Dean. Come on, Dean!" Then Dean got in,
Dean said" Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!" Bobby took off, I let my head fall forward, whimpering.
———
We were in Montana, at some cabin, it's been three weeks since the hospital thing. I was staring at Dean as he watched some soap opera, Bobby came in,
Dean said" Dude... Ricardo."
Bobby said" What happened?"
" Suicidio."
" Adios, Ese. Well, this ought to cheer you up." He dropped the keys into Dean's lap,
" My baby! Now I just got to get this stupid thing off and I can drive again."
Sam said" So how is it out there?"
Bobby said" Weird with a side order of bloody. Talked to a few hunters. They're running into the same kind of thing that set up shop at that hospital."
Dean said" Yeah, and don't forget tried to kill us at your place."
" Well, consensus is they're, um, they're like shapeshifters only a lot more into eating folk. And nothing can kill 'em."
" Good times. Anything else?"
" Yep. They bleed black goo."
Sam said" Like that stuff that came out of Cas- Those things from purgatory. Uh... leviathan."
" Yep."
Dean said" What about those chompers that you and the sheriff saw at the hospital? They still making spleenburgers."
" Yeah, made some calls. That doctor never showed back up to work. Ditto a nurse and some administrator. They took off."
" So they could be in any hospital in America."
" Yep."
" What do you think, Sammy?" Sam was zoned out," Sammy? Sam. Hey, ground control! Sam!" He came back,
He said" Yeah. What? I'm-I'm right here."
" You okay?"
" Yeah. I'm fine."
Bobby said" Good. Every last bit of info I ever had burned down, so..."
Dean said" What about this place? Rufus leave anything? Did you check the basement?"
" C-rations and dust. I don't think he'd been here in years. So, I got to go round up my old library."
Sam said" I thought you said most of those books were one of a kind."
" Yeah. That's why I stashed copies all over the place."
Dean said" Okay, good. Um... Hey, uh, two legs. We're fresh out of grub. Want to make a run?"
Sam said" Sure, yeah."
" Be careful with her, would ya?" Sam chuckled," And, uh, Sam?"
" Yeah?" He's gonna say Pie.
" Pie."
" Obviously." He walked out,
" Riv, go with him." I ran out the door, closing it, and running to the car. Sam looked at me,
He said" Tagging along?"
I said" You always forget candy bars."
" Because they're bad for you. Get in." He got in, I pulled open the door and got in, closing it back, whimpering as one of my burns hit the door." You okay?"
" Mmhmm." He started driving.

We got up the road,
Sam said" Buddy, how'd you get out of that fire? You couldn't stand up on your own, there's no way you could have got out before the fire got you."
I said" Black smoke surrounded me... I felt all the energy, then Rexxy zoomed to me... everything went black. I woke up when you guys were looking for me."
" That's it? No one helped you, nothing?"
" Just me. Is that bad?"
" Uh, no, buddy. Uh, it's fine."
" Are my powers bad?"
" No. River, half the time your powers are the only thing keeping you alive, so to me, they aren't bad."
" They're demonic."
" You're not a demon." I made a thinking face, he's right, I'm not a demon, it's just powers that absorbed into me... so that means I'm not bad, I can still be good, do the right thing. But what if other me was right too? Maybe I'm fighting now, but later I'll have to survive, I'll have to use my powers for bad..." Hey, River, buddy, what candy are you gonna get?" I blinked a few times, before looking at," You know, since obviously I'm a big dummy who forgets."
" Crunch bars! Gummi bears! Fruit by the foots!"
" Oh, wow, maybe I won't buy all that, hyper?"
" I'll tell Dean you drove crazy." He chuckled,
" Low blow, little dude." I smirked, he ruffled my hair," Good comeback, but low blow."
" Ha ha ha."

We were at the gas n sip, I was looking at stuff as Sam bought the stuff we got, he got Dean cake, but they were out of pie, Dean's not gonna be happy.

Sam and I walked onto the cabin, Sam put a bag next to Dean.
Dean said" Ah, thank you."
Sam said" Yep. Where's Bobby? He take off?"
" Yeah. Hey, Sam, how you doing?" I grabbed my bag of stuff and walked to my bed,
" Fine."
" I mean, you still, you know..."
" Yeah, no, I-I know what you mean. Yeah, I'm-I'm still seeing crap that's not real. But, yeah, I'm fine. I mean, I can tell the difference."
" Think it's getting better?"
" Honestly? Uh... I don't know. I just know I'm managing it, so... so don't worry."
" Where's the pie?"
" I got cake. It's close enough, right?" Dean gave him that look, I stared at Sam till I saw his wallet come out of his pocket, it came to me and I took a $5 out. He looked at me then held out his hand, I smiled then started coughing, my eyes glowed," River?"
" River?" Sam ran over to me, making me look at him, I breathed heavily, then gained focus again." He okay?" I stopped coughing, and slumped a little,
" Yeah, he's... okay." He took his wallet, and looked at me," Riv, we said not to use your powers till you're at full strength again."
I said" I know."
" Get some rest, buddy." I fell asleep immediately, too sleepy to argue back.
———
I woke up to wiring, I snapped up and saw Dean cutting his cast off,
I said" Dean!" The tool cut off, he looked at me,
He said" Sam's gone, took off. You're either with me or not, chose wisely." He cut it back on, I sighed, then slumped, watching him.

I was staying silent, Dean was angry, Sam wasn't answering his phone, Sam's definitely gonna get punched in the face when Dean catches up to him. I started getting tired again, I laid across the seat, and closed my eyes, holding Rexxy in my arms, I fell asleep.

I woke up to Dean talking,
He said" A kitsune. It's pretty rare. Dad and I hunted one back in '98. Yeah, didn't make our hightlight reel." Was he on the phone with Bobby?," Yeah, but why pull the Houdini act? I got a few ideas." Then he hung up, I rubbed my eyes and sat up, looking at him." Hey, Riv. Go back to sleep, buddy."
I said" Don't give him a concussion. He has enough head problems."
" I'm surprised you're not telling me to not punch him instead."
" You're angry, there's no changing your mind."
" You gonna go back to sleep?" I nodded my head," You feel okay?" I shrugged, He hummed," What's a shrug mean?"
" My burns still hurt a little, and I'm still cold sometimes, and I keep having the nightmare... I don't get it, but it keeps popping up. But I'm okay."
" You still tired?"
" Yeah, really tired, all the time."
" Just-Just get some more sleep, you'll feel better soon. Cut out on the power usage too." I laid back down," Ground yourself with your bag on your head." I put my bag over my head and held Rexxy in my arms. I dozed off again.
———
I just woke up, I saw I was in the impala, I got out and walked to Dean.
Dean said" Bozeman. Right. Got it. Thanks." I saw Sam walking towards us, Dean hung up," That was Bobby. We'll hole up in Spokane tonight. We'll meet him tomorrow. Why don't you drive?" He threw the keys to Sam,
Sam said" You gonna punch me again?" I saw the bruise on his eye,
I said" Dean! I said no face punching!" Dean grabbed my hand and put me back in the car, I pouted and looked at him.
Dean said" No, no, you said don't give him a concussion. I didn't."
" Fair enough."
Sam said" He tried telling you not to punch me?"
Dean said" Not to give you a concussion, there's a difference."
" Yeah, I guess. Thanks, Riv." I smiled, then laid across the backseat, staring at the top.

Dean said" Hey, why don't, uh- Why don't you check us in? I got to hit the candy store." He shook a bottle of pills," Doctors orders." Sam got out," River, get out, stretch your legs or something." I got out, pulling on my bag, I followed Sam, grabbing onto his hand as I caught up to him.