Chapter 39

Dean said" Sam? Sam? Sammy! Come on. Come on, damn it." I heard Sam groan, we never should have come here." Hey, hey, hey, you with me? Okay. Come on. Come on. We gotta get you the hell out of dodge." Dean pulled Sam up, Sam groaned.

Sam pinched the bridge of his nose, I was staring at him, he definitely knew I was staring at him but wasn't gonna say anything. Dean walked over,
He said" How you feel?"
Sam said" Like I got hit by a planet." He took the coffee from the drink holder Dean was holding.
" Well, lucky for you I'm a doctor. I got joe, grub, and-" He rattled a pill bottle, I tilted my head,
" What are they?"
" Effective."
" I'm okay. Thanks."
" Suit yourself."
" So how long was I out again?"
" I'm telling you, like two or three minutes. Why, what'd it feel like to you?"
" About a week. Give or take."
" You wanna talk about it?"
" It?"
" Yeah, whatever that was. I mean, it was like you were freaking electrocuted."
" Look, I mean, it wasn't fun, but I'm fine."
" Fine. It was hell, wasn't it? You got a big fat face full of hell. Ever cross your mind you could have died?"
" Oh, come on."
" I'm serious. None of this it's just a flesh wound crap. We did it your way, we let you go explore... and every bad thing that I said would happen, happened. So guess what? Past stays past. We're not kicking that well again."
" So I'm supposed to just ignore it?"
" Yes."
" Dean, I might have done... who knows what. And you want me to just forget about it?"
" You shove it down and you let it come out... in spurts of violence and alcoholism."
" That sounds healthy."
" Well, works for me. This is not a joke. Your life is on the line here, Sam. This is not a debate. I mean, first you were a soulless dickbag, and now you're not. So we good?"
" Yeah. Sure."
" Good. Well, let's get your mind off it, shall we? You, uh, up for a job?"
" Why, what do you got?"
" Janitor murdered in a college lab last night. Doors were locked. Nobody else in or out of the building."
" Great. Where to?"
" Paterson, New Jersey. Hey, maybe we'll have a Snooki sighting, ha, ha."
" What's a Snooki?"
" That is a good question."
I said" Idiot." Sam looked at me then to Dean, Dean held up a bag then opened it, doughnut!," Give it!" He held it higher so I couldn't reach it, I pouted and glared at him." Come on, De, give me the doughnut!" I jumped, trying to grab it but failed, I huffed, staring at him.
" Nah."
" Please?" He shook his head,
Sam said" Just give him the doughnut, man."
Dean said" I think I'll eat it myself." I breathed heavily,
" Dean."
I said" Dean, give me." Then my eyes hurt, I whined and rubbed my eyes.
" What..." I opened my eyes when they didn't hurt anymore. Dean handed me the doughnut, I began eating it," When did... okay. Hold on."
Dean said" Right, I know."
I said" Huh?"
" Nothing, bud, eat your doughnut."
———
I was sneezing like crazy, Sam came back into the car after he went to talk to the janitor's girlfriend. They went to the scene already, we're thinking it's a ghost.
Dean said" Hey. Ahem, so, what'd you find out from the, uh, mop jockey's girlfriend?"
Sam said" Nothing. Just how great he was. Went to church. Donated to charity. Rubbed her feet during Glee."
" I just threw up in my mouth."
" Sorry. Anyway, uh, checked his record, spotless. What about the science building? Anything?"
" Built in '05. Nothing weird about the land. Uh, before this, the biggest mishap was some genius... accidentally spilled sulfuric acid on his crotch. They don't even dissect anything good. I mean, bigger than Kermit, they use an iPad."
" So we got nothing?"
" Yeah, a big steaming pile of it."
———
They got a motel room then left because there was another weird murder. I huffed, hearing the impala drive away, I sat as I saw Scooby on the tv, I giggled and watched the screen.

They weren't back yet, and I didn't even have my emergency phone. I was pacing, back and forth, wall to wall, then a cup flew across the room, I yelped and ducked just in time. Everything went crazy after that...

I was breathing heavily, head tucked against my knees, knees pulled to my chest as things were flinging around the room. I squeezed my eyes shut, crying out, I screamed as the energy came out, everything went faster.
I heard Sam say" Oh, whoa! River?! River!" I snapped my head up and saw him at the door,
I screamed" Sam!" Everything froze then fell, Sam ran to me,
" Whoa, hey, what happened?" I clung to his stomach, digging my face into his chest, he wrapped his arms around me and lifted me up. I dug my face into his neck, wrapping my arms and legs tightly around him." Riv? Hey, hey, look at me, man." I looked at him," Breathe, slowly. One..." I breathed in," Two..." I breathed out," One..." I breathed in," Two.." I breathed out. My breathing went back to normal," What happened?"
I whispered" I got scared... you guys didn't come back." Then I noticed Dean not with him, stuff started rising again as I got scared.
" No, no, no, it's okay, it's okay. Ben called Dean, Dean headed over there to see what was happening. He's fine, he's fine." The things dropped, he rubbed my back, sighing." Everything's fine, everything's fine, everything's fine." I calmed down, clinging to him, I whimpered, digging my face against his neck." I'm not leaving you alone again, so think you can hold out on the sleeping for a while?" I nodded, my face still pressed into his neck," All right, 'cause I've got a working theory that we need to go have a talk with."

Sam had a theory about a worker he interviewed, so we went back to the factory.
We walked in and saw him and a mannequin,
Sam said" Come on."
We were in a break room, Sam was salting the place down,
The guy said" What's going on?"
Sam said" That was a ghost trying to kill you for being a dick."
" What?"
" You know what, you're lucky you were the most suspicious interview of all time. I figured something like this would happen."
" Figured something like what would happen?"
" Buddy, look, I don't have time for the big speech, all right? So brass tacks: Rose is back."
" That's crazy."
" You're gonna end up like your friends unless you tell me what you did to Rose." The guy stayed silent," Do you want me to help you or not?"
" It was just a stupid joke. You know, I mean, you play jokes. We didn't think it was that big of a deal." He sat down, Sam sat across from him, I sat next to Sam, I was shaking, whatever happened in the motel room was really scary.
" What did you do?"
" We made Rose think she had a secret admirer. I don't think the girl had ever been asked out in her life. Honestly, we just thought she was kind of pathetic. So we knew she'd take the bait. She was so excited. Poor girl never saw it coming. It was mean. But you know how it is when a group of guys get together. They act like jackasses. It happened so fast. We didn't mean for it to happen. And then it was too late. Steve said there was only one option. I wish I could take it all back."
" I'm sure you do."
" I didn't kill her."
" Okay, look me in the eyes and tell me none of it's on you." The guy looked down," Look, I'm not saying you deserve to die. I can help you."
" How?"
" You have to tell me where she's buried."
" In the woods. Uh, a clearing off Canyon Run Road." Sam and I got up, the guy went to follow," No, no, no. You're not going anywhere."
" But I-"
" You need to stay inside the salt line until I tell you you're safe." We walked away from him,
" You just want me to stand here all night?"
" Consider it getting off easy." We walked out.

I was in the car, once I saw Sam put his phone down, I stuck my head out the window.
I said" Can we go sleep now?" I rubbed my eyes, yawning, I crawled into the passenger as Sam got in.
He said" Yeah, bud."
———
I woke up and it was nighttime, but I was still sleepy, why am I so sleepy?! My eyes drooped again, I whined when I noticed Sam gone, but I just held Rexxy tighter and curled up again.

I woke up again when I was lifted up,
Dean said" Tell me again."
Sam said" I came in, everything in the room was flinging back and forth across the room. River pressed against the wall, head tucked into his knees, knees pulled to his chest. He was sobbing. When I spoke, he looked up immediately and screamed for me, the stuff stopped then dropped like nothing ever happened to begin with. Took me a few minutes to calm him down, then he nearly freaked out again because you were gone. He says he got scared because we didn't come back."
" Well, I coulda told you he has abandonment issues along with probably a million other issues."
" Dean, I'm serious."
" I am too. Kid has severe separation anxiety. These abilities are just amping it all up for him."
" There's gotta be something."
" Sam, we looked into it, before they got worse, there's nothing. He's human, that soaked up some powers while being tortured in hell."
" He's exhausted."
" He'll bounce back in a few days, give him some time." I fell back to sleep, too sleepy to stay awake any longer.
———
We were at Bobby's, Dean's looking at the car, fixing it.
Sam said" How's it look?"
Dean said" Well, considering she got carjacked by a poltergeist... could be worse." I ran off to play in the yard, I did a front flip but landed on my butt. I stood up and did a backflip, and stuck it, yeah! I held Rexxy with my arm as I picked up a big piece of glass. I looked through it,
I said" Cool." I put it up against a tire and picked up some rocks, I started throwing the rocks at the glass. Trying to shatter it, I giggled as I finally hit it but it just bounced off.