Chapter Sixty-Four

On a hill in Scotland, in a place hardly anyone ventured, was an ancient castle that had been built twice. It rose proudly, its towers meeting the sky while the lake eroded its lower floors. The sun had just come out, showering the east side of the building with that first morning light few ever got to experience without thinking about the things they had to do for the day. In the ancient castle itself, there was hardly anyone awake. It was far too early for the day to begin. But in a dormitory located in the lowest parts of the castle, a blonde girl with eyes like the sky's and rosy lips was laying on her bed, staring motionlessly at the ceiling.

Isabelle blinked up at the ceiling, her arms resting just above her stomach and her hair scattered around her pillow. The sheets framed her body, showing all of her faults. The two girls around her were still asleep and even though she was aware that they would wake up in some time, she still didn't bother moving. She remained watching the ceiling, expressionless, emotionless. This was her last day in the ancient and impressive castle.

It was her graduation day. As a seventh-year, she was forced to leave the place that had become something like a second home to her. She would have to leave her friends behind for the last time, perhaps not see them again for her entire life. After all she had gone through with them by her side, she never wanted to leave them behind. And she didn't want to leave her school behind.

Even though she didn't wish to abandon that place, she knew it was inevitable. And so, with some difficulty, she left her bed, put on her prosthetic and then wore a light pink dress of hers. On her graduation day, she was allowed to wear whatever she wanted. She brushed her teeth and then moved to the only mirror of the room. She brushed her hair and grabbed a hair tie, prepared to braid it like usual. Running her hands through her hair, she examined the way she looked before letting her hands fall by her sides. With a shake of her head, she walked away and placed her brush back in her trunk. She would let her hair loose today for a change.

Isabelle glanced around the dormitory once, her eyes falling on her side of the room that was now void of everything as she had packed all of her belongings in her trunk. With a last glance around the room, she grabbed her suitcase and dragged it after her as silently as she could, out of the room. Closing the door behind her, she got to the corridor leading to the Hufflepuff common room. With a sigh, she started walking.

She took her sweet time crossing the corridor and when she got up the stairs and reached the common room, she couldn't help but frown as she examined the empty and silent place. The morning rays had just reached the room, casting the shadows away, allowing her to take in the beauty of the Hufflepuff Basement one last time before she had to leave for good.

Another heavy sigh fell from her lips effortlessly as she went on to the narrow passage leading to the castle corridors. Stepping outside, she watched the passage close behind her until there was no trace of an entrance in the barrels. Then she turned away and resumed on her way to the Great Hall.

She reached her destination after a long time, as she looked at every portrait she passed by, making sure to memorise all parts of the castle she walked away from. Finally, she reached her destination and pushing a door open, she got inside.

Some students were already there but she paid no heed to them as she walked straight to the Hufflepuff table. The people she felt like seeing at the moment were her friends and she knew they would not be awake at such an hour. Sitting down, she helped herself to some tea and a toast. She munched mechanically, lost in her thoughts. She didn't realise someone had joined her until she heard them clear their throat.

Isabelle looked up with a start, only for her eyes to widen as soon as she saw the person standing behind the table. She was wearing a pair of black jeans and a dark green t-shirt that complimented her skin's pale complexion. Her hair was loose, falling to her chest in waves as per usual, a tiny smile on her lips as she looked down at her. Melissa was standing in front of her, just a table separating them. And Isabelle could think of no reason why she was making an effort to see her.