Chapter Four

The next morning Isabelle was up early as usual. By the time her dormmates were starting to wake up, she had already taken a shower and had gotten dressed into her Hufflepuff robes. She had decided to wear her hair into a French braid just because she liked the way she looked when her hair was braided like that.

Having nothing to do, the girl was left to wait in the common room for her friends to finish getting ready so that they could get to the Great Hall for breakfast. She did not expect to find someone whose company she enjoyed in the common room, but she was pleasantly surprised as she noticed Bernard sitting on one of the couches, looking at the flames. Without hesitation, she sat down next to him.

The man blinked as he turned to her, a small smile appearing on his lips as he saw her.

"Good morning Isabelle. Did you sleep well?"

"Good morning to you too, Bernard. I slept really well. I had a really nice dream too."

"Really?" he turned his body so that he was facing her, a smile appearing on his lips almost automatically as he got comfortable. "What was it about?"

"I was walking you now, like a normal person, and then, I got to actually climb on a tree!"

Bernard's eyebrows furrowed and his smile turned into a dubious one, full of confusion. "You liked that dream? I mean, it was really simple."

I did, she thought, because I do not have two whole legs to do such a thing.

"Yes," she mumbled. "I felt..free," her voice trailed off as she noticed the look of interest on her friend's face.

"That's really nice. I had an enjoyable dream too. I was in a forest and there were these beautiful animals, unicorns. What I liked the most was that unlike real unicorns that do not wish for males to pet them, these creatures in my dream let me touch them without leaving."

"That's beautiful," Isabelle smiled sweetly at the man who shrugged.

It was quite rare for a male to admit that they had dreamt of unicorns and had actually enjoyed their dream. For whatever reason, the creatures were characterised as animals females, and not males, loved, so naturally, most males hated the species. In reality, not all women liked unicorns, and not all unicorns preferred to have women pet them.

An exemption to the communication between unicorns and women had been Cassidy. When they had been fifth years, their Care for Magical Creatures professor had showed some unicorns to the students in the class. The professor had instructed females to come forward to pet the unicorns. Cassidy, had not been really thrilled to touch a unicorn, and it seemed like the creature she had been instructed to pet knew that. The dark skinned Hufflepuff had hardly managed to lift her hand to touch the creature before it took off running back in the forest. It had become completely clear that Cassidy should better stay away from unicorns.

"You should better not speak of this to anyone else. They are never going to forget about it," Bernard shook her out of her thoughts, only for his words to justify her reasoning that males did not wish to have others know of their love for unicorns.

Isabelle nodded, even if she really thought that his dream was nothing to be ashamed of. "Deal."

The two stopped talking for a while, seemingly having nothing to say. But soon enough, the woman broke the silence.

"I had never heard you or Hailey declare your feelings for each other or something like that," she began, and the male chuckled as he realised where she was getting with that conversation. "When did you start having feelings for her? When did you get together?"