Chapter Thirty-Three

The few days in between the Hogsmeade Trip and Bernard's birthday passed by quickly in anticipation of what was to come. No surprise party had been scheduled for his special day, as they had done that last year, even if Isabelle wasn't there with them. They knew that Bernard would be expecting something like that, so they didn't do anything of the sort.

The plan for the day was rather simple. As it was a Tuesday and they still had to go to their classes, they decided that they would attend their classes like they usually would, study or do whatever they wished for the rest of the day until seven o'clock. At seven o'clock, they would all go to their common room, take the presents they had bought and together, they would head to the boys' dormitory, where they could celebrate in peace.

Hailey had been the one to buy the birthday cake and the two candles, eight and one, so as to show that he was turning eighteen on that day. They would have a small celebration up there, and after eating the cake, they would give their gifts to Bernard.

All in all, the plan wasn't exactly extraordinary, but it was exciting enough to occupy their mind throughout the day. And Isabelle, even though she should have been paying attention to her Potions class, was doing anything but that.

"Watch out!" Scorpius whispered frantically as he grabbed her arm just as she was about to throw some crashed snake fangs into the potion they were supposed to be making. Truth be told, she had no idea what potion they had to make, but she trusted her partner enough to make sure she didn't do anything wrong. It seemed like her trust on him was rational.

"What did I do wrong?" she asked softly as she looked up at him, her eyes wide as she met his own. The boy let out a small laugh before shaking his head at her, an amused smile on his lips.

"Belle, you have already added the right amount of crashed snake fangs in the potion."

For a second or two, she just looked at him, before she quickly blinked and turned her attention on the crashed snake fangs that had remained on the table. "If we didn't need any more snake fangs in the potion, then why didn't you stop me from crashing others? I have practically crashed enough fangs for us to use in our next two potions or so."

"I know," he smirked, "I just thought it would be safer if I didn't tell you to do something else." As the girl shot him a look, he rushed to explain himself. "I mean, your mind seems to be on something else."

For some more time she didn't look away, but then, she let out a small sigh and allowed a smile to form on her lips as she nodded. "You are right, I am sorry. I am excited for Bernard's party afterwards, that's all."

Instantly, he raised an eyebrow. "A party?"

"Well, it won't be a party exactly," she explained as she started stirring the potion. "Just a small celebration. We are going to have some cake and give him his presents, that's all."

"It still does sound pleasant," he commented as he peered in the potion. "Change the direction of your stirring."

"Thank you," she mumbled as she did as she was told, "anyway, I think it's going to be nice too. I am hoping he will like the watch."

"Stop stirring now," he muttered before clearing his throat, "I am sure he is going to like it."

Isabelle stopped stirring and turned to face him, a small frown on her lips. "You know, I am not sure about that. I've been thinking that perhaps the design with the cupcakes is too childish. Maybe it would have been better if we had chosen the one with the sparks."

"Isabelle, everyone likes sweets," he persuaded, "not to mention, that the sparks would have been annoying. Just imagine having something sparkling every hour of the day and night. It would do that no matter the time - he would have been unable to sleep with that thing."