Chapter Nine

The next morning Isabelle was up bright and early. As she stood up, she noticed that Cassidy's bed was empty. She kept quiet as she tried to listen for any sounds that could mean that her friend was still in the room, but to no avail. Cassidy was not in the dormitory.

As quietly as she could, the woman stood up and reached for her case under her bed. She grabbed it and fastened it expertly on her knee. She glanced behind her to make sure that the others were still asleep, and then grabbed her school robes and got to the bathroom to change.

The blonde made sure to be quick as she got dressed. The moment she put on her long socks, she seemed to be able to breathe better. There was no way someone could notice her case now.

Isabelle brushed her teeth and then her hair, before setting it in a French braid so as to keep it away from her eyes. She then left the bathroom and as quietly as she could, she got back to her bed. She put on her shoes and then grabbed what she needed for Charms: the first lesson for the day.

Grabbing her wand, she left the dormitory and got down the staircase leading to the common room in a slow pace. Half-way through, she noticed that on one of the armchairs in the common room was Cassidy, a thoughtful look on her face.

Almost immediately, a small smile appeared on Isabelle's face as she got to her friend. She did not say anything as she walked to the armchair she was sitting on and just sat next to her, waiting for her to acknowledge her presence.

She did not have to wait for long.

"Isabelle!" the dark haired woman exclaimed as soon as she saw her, "For how long have you been standing there?"

"Not long," she admitted with a shrug. "Did you sleep well?"

"I am afraid not," she sighed, before picking herself up. "I just could not sleep. In the beginning, I felt cold, but then, after I placed a heating charm on myself, I was practically sweating! Long story short, that was happening until the early hours of the morning, until I took a shower and then finally managed to sleep."

"Oh, I am sorry," she frowned, "perhaps you could sleep in the break between classes?"

"That was my plan, yeah," Cassidy smiled, before grabbing her Charms textbook. She looped her arm through Isabelle's and directed the two to the entrance of their common room. "Come on, let us go eat some breakfast."

"Shouldn't we stay here and wait for the others?"

"Belle, it's quite early and I've been in the common room for about an hour before you showed up, Hailey and the others will survive if they do not walk with us to breakfast one day."

The blonde could not help but chuckle as she let her friend lead her away from the Hufflepuff Basement. For some time, they were silent, until Isabelle decided to speak.

"What do you think Flitwick will teach us today?"

"I do not know, we'll see. What I really am concerned about is why is he still here? Isn't he too old to be teaching?"

"Cassidy, you can't blame a man because he loves teaching-"

"Come on, he is practically ancient!"

"Cassidy!" Isabelle exclaimed as she struggled to hide her smile, "That's not a good thing to say!"

"But it is the truth, you know it is."

"W-Well even if it is, that does not mean anything. He is still capable of teaching us and if you think about it, he does have much experience. We should be thankful that he is still willing to teach us, he could have had a more prestigious position, he is a war hero!"