49 | Weirdo

EVERY step away from my room caused my chest to twitch, tight swooshes of air leaving my throat until none remained

EVERY step away from my room caused my chest to twitch, tight swooshes of air leaving my throat until none remained. I gasped and stumbled forward.

My hand stopped me from colliding into the wooden wall, body sagging a bit. Calm down. Everything would be okay. I could do this.

Shifting my body against the wall, I shuffled forward a bit and turned the corner. No one graced the hall. Only silence and the timbre of my beating heart filled my eardrums, palms becoming sweaty.

Start with baby steps — play the game by surviving the voting session. To do that, I needed to get at least four other people on my side.

Gmie, Demo, Aries, and Chi were crossed off immediately. With their leader popping a major boner every time she pictured my death, only a miracle from God would convince any of them to not vote for me.

Layla was probably a definite no too. Everyone else was up for grabs, except Khan because I didn't know if he really liked Chi or not. Maybe it was just sex, but I didn't have time to try and decipher either way.

Scrolling through my iPad, one of the cameras showed Rucker working out in the gym alone. Time to manipulate for my life.

Tiptoeing through the halls, trying to avoid everyone else, I turned the corner and spotted the gym down the hall in front of me. I almost kept going, but a figure materialized from the right, stopping me in mid-step.

Squinting, I realized it was Aries. He paused outside the doorway and peered inside the gym, never saying a word. Just staring for like ten minutes straight before moving along.

Huh? What was that?

Loud grunts shuddered throughout the workout room as I got closer, my feet scuffling up to the threshold. Rucker panted, arms racing back and forth as he jogged on the treadmill, feet hitting the rolling belt in quick spurts. His jet-black hair clung to his dripping forehead, sticking to his ears as blotchy redness colored his skin.

A thick book rested on the dashboard, and he turned a page every minute or so. My brows furrowed when I gazed down his muscular back and stopped at his sweatpants, seeing a thong peeking through the top.

A thong?

Guess there was a soft spot to Rucker's tough exterior. Silent giggles shot from my throat, and I covered my mouth and walked into the gym.

I only got two steps into the room before Rucker twisted around while jumping off the treadmill, a large knife in one hand.

"Get the fuck back," he shouted.

I tumbled back, almost dropping my iPad. "I come in peace!" Gosh, that sounded stupid.

Sighing, he lowered his guard for a second, letting the knife tumble to his side. "Didn't your mama tell you not to sneak up on folks? If we were in the streets, you'd be gutted without a second thought."