89 | Mr. or Ms. X

SEBASTIAN

SEBASTIAN. His voice rang through my door, loud and clear.

"I've been knocking every day," Sebastian said on the other side of the door. "She won't answer."

"Well, she needs to stop sulking, and Rucker needs to get his shit together," Yaz snapped. 

"I tried too," Khan said. "I think she's just ignoring everyone."

"I hope she's okay," Sebastian said, voice covered in worry. "You don't think she did anything to herself, right?"

"Rucker told me she's been texting him," Yaz said.

"You've been talking to him?" Sebastian asked.

"Barely. He's all up in his own ass right now," Yaz said before sighing. "He tried yelling at me about her, telling me to tell her to stop texting him. Like bitch what? I almost smacked the taste out his mouth. No one yells at me."

"This makes no sense," Khan said. "We were all fine just days ago."

"It's fucking Rucker," Sebastian said in a rough tone. "He called me every soft name in the book, yet he's the one acting all emotional."

"Hey," Yaz said, banging on my door. "Bitch get your ass out here before I kick your ass. We need you. Rucker will come around soon."

"Yeah, please open up," Sebastian said.

"Duke needs you too," Khan said, and I heard a bark.

Wait, they didn't blame me for all of this? Maybe—

"Hello, my little contestants," Jookie said over the loudspeaker, causing me to break from my thoughts. "Have you guys been having a good rest period? I hope so because that shit's over now."

"Oh goodie," Yaz muttered.

"It's time for a mini-challenge," Jookie screamed, hurting my ears. "Our guards just got finished putting bags all over the house, and you all must find and grab one — only one. Do not open it or you'll be shot on sight."

"That's a little extreme," Sebastian said.

"Each bag is filled with a special perk for the next challenge," Jookie said. "Some are good, and some are bad, so you better go with your instincts and choose a good bag. You can steal someone else's bag if you think they have something good, but again, you can only have one. It's everyone for themselves. You have one hour. Meet me in the common room once you've chosen a bag."

"Shit," Yaz said. "Betinia, answer me. You better do this challenge."

"Answer or we'll lose the challenge together," Sebastian said.

"Yeah," Khan said.

They would all do that for me. I couldn't ask them to do that for me.

I coughed, trying to find my voice. "Just go. I'll find a bag. I just need a second."