114 | Favorite Oreos

DREAMING

DREAMING. So many saturated pictures flipped through my head in an endless cycle. It was like going through a PowerPoint slideshow at 100mph, seeing so much but consuming nothing.

A familiar voice pierced through that cycle, waking me from my dizzy slumber. I blinked, sleepiness crusting the corners of my eyes, head feeling heavy. I was awake, but my body didn't want to move yet.

"Is she still out?" Rucker asked from somewhere around me.

"Yup," Yaz said.

"It's been four days," Sebastian said.

"I know," Khan said. "She just eats and goes right back to sleep."

"She bites too," Sebastian said in a worried tone. "I woke her up to give her a sandwich and she bit my finger."

"That's my sissy," Rucker said, proudly. "Tough as nails even while sleeping. I'm so proud."

"Proud that she bit my finger?" Sebastian said.

"Even while sleeping she knows you're soft, jelly donut," Rucker said.

"It's Sebastian," Seb said. "You said you'd try."

"I am — it's a fucking habit," Rucker said.

"Be quiet before you wake her," Yaz hissed. "She's had a very stressful time."

"That challenge took a lot out of her," Khan said, and I felt someone brush my head.

"Okay — what about me though? I almost died," Rucker said. "Why aren't you waiting on me hand and foot too?"

"I have been helping you, Mr. Bed Ridden," Yaz said. "I made you a sandwich."

"A ham sandwich," Rucker said. "With no cheese. People on death row get better. Where's the filet mignon? The risotto? I almost died people."

"We have no internet, remember?" Yaz said. "We can't request anything. And fuck off — risotto? What the hell's that?"

"It's a rice dish from northern Italy," Khan said. "It's easy to make."

"See? Get the cookin' Khan," Rucker said.

"It's not my night. It's Seb's," Khan said with a little humor in his voice.

"Oh, hell no," Rucker said in disgust.

"I told you I sucked at cooking," Sebastian said, angrily. "I'm trying though."

"Who can't make instant mac?" Rucker asked. "Children can make that."

"It's not my fault I burned it," Seb said.

"The cheese was black," Rucker said. "Black. How does that even happen?"

"I thought the box said sixty minutes," Seb said.