23 | Midnight Thoughts

I WAS IN THE PROCESS OF DREAMING OF A black hole, sinking into its suctioning depths, letting it consume my very essence when a wet tongue licked my cheek

The darkness disappeared in an instant, jerking me into awareness. Cracking open a crusty eye, a sloppy tongue filled my vision, sliding down the left side of my face.

Duke whined, high and squeaky and nudged my shoulder with his sticky nose. Wiping the slobber off my face and sitting up, I yawned, watching the doggy run to the door, scratching at it.

He wagged his tail and barked before letting out more high-pitched whines.

"Duke," I said before stopping. It felt weird to say that name after so many years. I never thought I'd ever get another dog, let alone one that looked just like my childhood one.

I thought it might've been a dream, but the sticky saliva on my hand told me this was reality. And my sponsor loved to fuck with me.

Duke ran over to me, paws clicking on the floor, and licked me before running back to the door again, wagging his tail. Woof.

Crap. He must want food. Why now though? It was two in the morning and the pact was over. Couldn't he wait until morning?

Woof.

Guess not.

I peeked at the eager puppy, knowing it wasn't his fault. It was biology's fault and the game's fault. I wouldn't be surprised if my sponsor or the creators starved him on purpose before giving him to me, wanting me to leave my room at this time. Fuckers.

My brain told me to wait until morning, but the puppy eyes tugged at my heart. Sighing, I reached for my iPad, using the cameras to search through the halls, rooms and contestants' bathrooms. All empty.

Everyone must be in bed. Good.

Crawling to my feet, I searched my room for a weapon. Nothing. The only thing that would even harm someone would be the hairspray Sebastian got me.

It wouldn't kill anyone, but it'd blind the hell out of them. I made a mental note to get real weapons. I should've done that earlier.

I hated having to leave my iPad behind, but it would slow me down and crowd up my hands.

"You can walk on your own, right Duke?" I asked him like he could speak.

He responded with a yelp and bowed his head. Or maybe I imagined the bow.

With my key in my pocket and the hairspray in hand, I left my room with Duke on my heels.

Absolute silence greeted my ears when I shut the door behind me, making me pause. Nothing. No sound whatsoever. Even the hum of the air system was gone tonight. It took me a minute to realize that even the cameramen disappeared. The halls were utterly void.