18| Before Voting Begins

A FIGURE LOITERED NEAR THE KITCHEN entrance

A FIGURE LOITERED NEAR THE KITCHEN entrance. The broken mask that haunted my thoughts covered their face.

Instant adrenaline shocked my core, intensifying as the person sauntered closer. My fingers gripped my fork hard, ready to attack, but once I heard the sharp giggle, I sighed, going back to my food. Only one person made that sound.

That giggle turned into a squeal as the masked person twirled around the kitchen like an ecstasy-laced ballerina on steroids, prancing and kicking around.

It took me off guard, making the mask almost forgettable because the moves were just that hilarious.

A laugh blurted from my throat unexpectedly, catching me off guard.

Snatching the mask off, Jookie grinned down at me before bowing. "Ello, my princess peach. Did you enjoy my performance? I call it La Death Mask de Princess Peach."

I clapped. "It was absolutely breathtaking. Completely changed my whole existence."

He placed a hand over his heart. "I know. I just knew it would change lives." He wore a tight red-dotted dress shirt, sleeves rolled up to show off his tats, and some ripped blue jeans. His gray hair was straightened today, falling to his back. An elegant yet edgy aura generated from him.

I chuckled for a second and then stopped myself. Was I joking around with Jookie? I shouldn't be. He was the enemy and a sadistic monster. He was dancing around in the mask that he knew fucked with my mind.

How sick was that?

His freaky dance did relieve some of the stress harboring in my soul, but that heavy burden soon came back, scratching at my mind.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, coming off rude, which was something Betinia would never do.

I didn't know what it was, but Jookie made it easy for me to be real like I didn't have to hide. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

"Feisty, today are we?" Jookie licked his lips. "I'm just getting things ready for voting tonight," he said, playing with a strand of his hair. Sitting across from me, his beautiful violet-gray eyes scanned my body. "You look like you've had a rough night."

I munched on a sausage, never breaking eye contact before motioning to the mask beside him. "You were watching. You know what happened. I thought you were just trying to grind the wound in deeper."

"Yes, I was watching," he said, lips twitching. "And if I wanted to torture you, my luscious peach, I could do that without the stupid mask." He crunched the mask in his fingers, thick flakes and dust shuddering everywhere.

I jerked at the motion, pancake pieces falling from my mouth.

"At the end of the day, it's all dust and plaster. Nothing," he said, staring at me. "I just really want to know how you feel."