Chapter 44 part 2

Niall P.O.V (earlier in the evening)

When I come back from the bathroom I find Cheryl, Liam, Harry, and Beth standing in a circle whispering. I walk up to them and they stop talking.

"What's going on guys?" I ask looking at all of them.

"Oh nothing. Just enjoying ourselves." Liam bobs his head to the background music.

Harry leans into Beth and I try to listen. I think he says something about a guy named Steve.

"Who is Steve?" I ask Harry and I notice everyone else stiffen.

"I said sneeze not Steve." Harry says, but doesn't make eye contact with me.

"It's a joke between us. You wouldn't get it." Beth tries to cover up for him.

"Right. Well this is fun and all, but I'm going to go talk to some normal people." I look at my friends and then leave.

As soon as I walk away they start whispering again. I don't bother with it though. I will find out what they are talking about soon enough. I find a group of people who work at the hospital and walk over to them.

"Horan, how are you?" One of the male nurses ask. I think his name is Luke.

"I'm good man. What about you?" I decide against saying any name just in case I'm wrong.

We all start talking and making jokes and telling different stories. Since I got back from the bathroom I can't shake this feeling that Charlotte is here. Louis said she was coming, but it's weird I haven't seen her yet and that she isn't with our friends. Is she hiding from me?

As the group of people I'm with keep talking some female nurse starts to get a little flirty. She places her hand on my arm. As I turn to look at her something catches my attention. I look to the corner of the room and I see a very petite girl standing up at a table. She picks up a wine glass that is laying on the table. She smiles and places a hand on her date's shoulder. As I watch her I realize it's Charlotte. She is really pale and has lost a lot of weight. As she turns away I try not to laugh. The look on her face is one I have seen before. She is annoyed and wants to be alone.

I look at her date and the guy looks familiar. I don't know how I would know him though. I wonder if he works at the hospital. I should go introduce myself before Charlotte comes back.

I leave the group of people I'm with and walk over to Charlotte's date. As soon as he sees me he tenses up a bit. Well he knows who I am.

"Are you here to hit me again?" He says while standing up. This guy is tall.

"Again? Have we even met before?" I try to think back to all of the guys I have hit and there has only been two. Chad and that pushy guy at the bar. "Are you the guy from the bar?"

"Yeah I am." He puffs out his chest a little. What is he doing?

"Relax. I'm not going to hit you. I just wanted to introduce myself and I hope you are having a good time." I stretch my hand out to shake his hand.

"Charlotte isn't here. You don't have to put on this good guy act." This guy seems like douche. Does Charlotte like douches and then try to change them for the better?

"I'm not putting on an act. You looked familiar so I wanted to see why. I will leave you alone though." I smile at him, but before I walk away Charlotte comes walking up to us.

Charlotte stands next to her date's chair and causally says, "hey Niall, we didn't know you were going to be here."

She is acting like nothing has happened between us. Charlotte is acting like we are old acquaintances who haven't seen each other in a long time. Has she really moved on?