chapter 23

Niall P.O.V

Charlotte has been quiet all afternoon and I can't read her. Is she mad at me? I get out of the pool and walk over to her.

"Did I do something wrong?" I search her eyes to figure out what she is feeling.

"No. I'm just tired of swimming." She wraps a towel around herself and starts to walk away.

"I'm going with Charlotte. We will see you guys later." It's only four p.m, so we will all go to dinner later.

"Niall you don't have to come with me."

"I am getting the feeling you don't want to be alone with me."

Ouch, no reply. We are quiet rest of the way. I try to make her laugh while we are in the elevator. I make funny faces and do the robot dance, but nothing. Once in the room I decide to break the silence.

"Did you like the presentation?" Maybe she thought it was so bad that she is avoiding talking about it.

"It was amazing. I was really impressed with it. I can't believe you are helping to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Maybe I will specialize in brain surgery when I get to residency." She smiles at me.

"You can if you want or you don't have to go to med school at all." I want her to be herself and to not listen to her crazy arse of a mom.

"So I should just follow you to New York and stay in the same situation until you are tired of me? Until you are done using me or until you are ready to settle down? I will end up with nothing and alone." She glares at me and I am so confused.

Where is this coming from? What has happened in her life to make her this way? I always thought Charlotte was the heartbreaker, but what if I'm wrong?

"Why are you so worried about being used? Please stop hiding from me." Charlotte is surprised by my sudden interest.

"How are you surprised? I'm only here, because you needed me to act like your girlfriend." Is she about to cry? "I thought you wanted me here because you enjoy my company."

"I'm not going to leave you high and dry. I didn't plan on telling Jeff that you were my girlfriend, but I needed to find an excuse as to why I couldn't take his job offer." I try explaining to her. "I don't just enjoy your company, I love it, even when we fight."

"Can't you just say no to the job?" She makes it sound so obvious.

I hit myself on the head with my palm. "Why didn't I think of that?" She laughs and rolls her eyes. "I need to keep my options open. Don't want to burn any bridges yet."

"Why? Are you planning on moving?" So many questions today.

"Yes and I'm taking you with me." Charlotte stares at me not amused. "I don't think I will leave, but who knows." The truth is that I won't ever leave. Brooke needs me around. "If I moved would you come with me?"

"Would I come because of the contract or as a friend?" She asks and I know that here is my chance to figure out how she feels.

I take a step towards her and put my hands on her waist. "Or you could come as more."

"What?" Charlotte freezes. I laugh at her reaction.

"Our time in New York is going so well that I thought we could try." I haven't done anything like this in a long time.

"What?"

"Can you say anything else?" She always talks so much. Why is she quiet now? "Anyone can see your hiding. You can talk to me."