Chasing Elliott - Published

By authormarissaxthomas

PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 02, 2021 ❝ Your life is your own. Don't waste it trying to be what others expect you to be... More

introduction
chapter one ... the mom friend
chapter two ... pancakes
chapter three ... go for it
chapter four ... two white knights
chapter five ... stir the pot
chapter six ... a little more interesting
chapter seven ... get to know you
chapter eight ... hit the jackpot
chapter nine ... owe it to yourself
chapter ten ... scouts honor
chapter eleven ... carnival games
chapter twelve ... indoor picnic
chapter thirteen ... hey batter batter
chapter fourteen ... something like that
chapter fifteen ... stays between us
chapter sixteen ... high and dry
chapter seventeen ... catchphrase
chapter eighteen ... need some pointers
chapter nineteen ... downtown dinner
chapter twenty ... karaoke night
chapter twenty one ... please stay
chapter twenty two ... farmers market
chapter twenty three ... in the hot seat
chapter twenty four ... animal shelter
chapter twenty five ... surprise date
chapter twenty six ... down to the marina
chapter twenty seven ... what's yours is mine
chapter twenty eight ... welcome home
chapter twenty nine ... bad omen
chapter thirty ... bath time
chapter thirty one ... not too soon
chapter thirty two ... cake & balloons
chapter thirty three ... the time is now
chapter thirty four ... the l word
chapter thirty five ... until you came along
chapter thirty seven ... three little words
chapter thirty eight ... can't be unseen
chapter thirty nine ... beer, mistakes & regret
chapter forty ... the worst kind of heartbreak
chapter forty one ... forgive yourself
chapter forty two ... you're running, too
chapter forty three ... who I used to be
chapter forty four .... better late than never
chapter forty five ... play wham outside my window
epilogue ... wedding bells
The End
Chasing Elliott - Published Version
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06

chapter thirty six ... the truth comes out

4.2K 163 14
By authormarissaxthomas

Arcane (adj.)
secret, mysterious, understood only by few.
———

"Here comes the beep, you know what to do," Cooper's voicemail greeted me after only two rings. Hanging up my phone, I threw it at the couch and collapsed onto the chair.

"He still not answering?" Kingsley asked as she came strolling down the hallway in her robe with her hair wrapped up in her bath towel.

Shaking my head no, I sighed loudly. "I just don't understand what got him so upset. I said I wouldn't talk to Jonathan anymore but what the hell warrants that kind of anger from him?"

"I have no idea honey," Kingsley said sadly. "Have you tired asking Benji?"

"I did, yes," I informed her as I pushed myself up out of the chair. "He said he didn't know why he reacted that way."

Kingsley huffed as she crossed her arms, a look of concentration on her face. Strolling past her into the kitchen, I grabbed a bottle of water before heading to the front door to grab my shoes and the keys.

"Where you going?"

"I'm going to Benji's to see if Cooper is just hiding from me."

———

I stood outside the door and waited for someone to answer. Fidgeting with my hands, I finally heard footsteps approaching. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I hid my frustration as Benjamin opened the door.

"Sorry, Elli," Benjamin apologized as he looked at me sadly. "Cooper hasn't been here since the party and before you ask, no I haven't heard from him either."

Not bothering to stick around and sulk, I turned on my heel and stormed down the stairs. I ignored Benjamin as he called after me and pushed through the door into the warm afternoon air. Deciding to take a walk, I made my way down the street till I made it downtown.

Finding my favorite coffee shop I decided to go in and grab some coffee and ended up sitting outside on the patio. I don't know how long I sat there for when I saw the chair next to me get pulled out and a familiar mess of blonde hair and fake boobs sat down next to me.

"Elliott, can we talk?" Laura asked, sheepishly. Giving her the side eye as I sipped my coffee, she sighed and rested her elbows on the table. "I want to apologize for everything but I also think there's something you should know."

"Laura, I really don't have the energy for this," I told her flatly as I continued to stare straight ahead.

"I know you can't stand me but after seeing what happened at the party, I think you have a right to know why Cooper reacted the way he did."

Turning in my chair slightly so I could face her, I cocked a brow. "What the hell could you possibly know that Benji doesn't?"

Laura sighed as she reached into her over-sized pink Michael Kors purse and pulled out her phone. Unlocking it, she started to scroll through something before she looked at me sadly.

"Cooper and I actually dated. For about six months," Laura burst out as she avoided eye contact. "That's why I got so obsessive and wanted to break you guys up."

"I don't believe you," I replied instantly as I shook my head in denial. "He would've told me something like that."

"No, he wouldn't have. He hated me and he knew instantly the kind of feud we had and I'm assuming he didn't want to add to it."

Narrowing my eyes on her, I took another sip of my coffee as I thought about what she said. While part of me didn't believe her, the other part of me actually thought that it made sense. It would explain some of his behavior but on the other hand, he had always been so relaxed up until recently.

"Here," Laura said as she handed me her phone. "I figured you wouldn't believe me but this might help."

Grabbing the phone from her, I felt my stomach knot as I scrolled through countless pictures of her and Cooper together; them at the bar, at a garden, with her family and his family, a carnival, the beach, and even the karaoke bar.

I knew of Laura's past tricks but this was hard to argue: dates and location stamps showed up when I clicked on 'more details' and the knot in my stomach seemed to double in size. Locking her phone as tears sprung to my eyes, I quickly handed it back to her.

"I just," I started to say before I took a deep breath. "Why would he lie?"

"There's something you should know, Elli," Laura said as she rested her hand on my arm. "I cheated on him with Johnathan."

My eyes widened as everything seemed to piece itself together. "Now it makes sense."

"Him and I had gotten into a huge fight because I had told him I loved him and he didn't say it back so I got drunk and slept with Johnathan. I thought the fact that he couldn't say it back meant we were done but I was wrong and he never forgave me after that."

"I'm so sorry for being shitty to you even though there were times you deserved it," I said as I put a hand over hers that rested on my arm.

"Hey, it's okay," Laura said as she gave me a weak smile. "I should've told you sooner, especially when I found out he hadn't told you himself. It might have helped you two if you'd known sooner."

Nodding softly, I sighed as I attempted to give her a smile but I couldn't muster one. Looking up at the sky for a moment to try and regain my composure, I ran my other hand roughly through my hair.

"I just don't get why he'd hide that," I repeated again. "I mean, he knew of my past. Did he really think that exes mattered to me?"

"You should talk to him," Laura said softly. "Only he can tell you why."

"I'd love to talk to him but no one has seen or heard from him since the party. I think I'm just going to go home. Thank you though, Laura, for telling me."

"Of course. I'm sorry it took so long but I do hope you two can work this out. He's a great guy and it's clear you make him happy. He deserves that."

Pushing back from the table, I threw my cup away and started making my way back to Benjamin's parking lot to get my car. Sliding in, I flipped on the engine and started driving back to the apartment.

———

I pulled into the lot and sat in the car for a moment. Taking a deep breath, I made my way into the building. Stopping abruptly a few steps away from my floor, I held my breath as I saw Cooper standing there outside the door with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.3K 4.4K 44
𝙏𝙀𝘼𝘾𝙃𝙀𝙍 𝙭 𝙎𝙏𝙐𝘿𝙀𝙉𝙏 𝙍𝙊𝙈𝘼𝙉𝘾𝙀 I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...
579K 13K 46
••COMPLETE•• ||Monaro Family: book 1|| Isabella believes in love. But she also knows that it can be painful, so she's saving herself from the eventua...
1.6M 42K 48
Victoria Anderson is determined to finish college and make her parents proud. Finding love isn't on her list of priorities but she can't help the att...
396K 10.2K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...