Conflicted

By batmantho

One day while he visits one of his family's country-clubs, he meets her. More

↬Notes and Copyright↫
➸one
➸two
➸three
➸four
➸five
➸six
➸seven
➸eight
➸nine
➸ten
➸eleven
➸twelve
➸thirteen
➸fourteen
➸fifteen
➸sixteen
➸seventeen
➸eighteen
➸nineteen
➸twenty
➸twenty-one
➸twenty-two
➸twenty-three
➸twenty-four
➸twenty-five
➸twenty-six
➸twenty-seven
➸twenty-eight
➸twenty-nine
➸thirty
➸thirty-one
➸thirty-two
➸thirty-three
➸thirty-four
➸thirty-five
➸thirty-six
➸thirty-eight

➸thirty-seven

2.1K 91 15
By batmantho

Zayn's POV

"Skylar, would you like to go to dinner with me?" I asked, trying again for the fifth night in a row, hoping to get an actual answer this time. She kept her gaze on the floor and said nothing. "Okay, no problem." I sighed, leaving the room.

"No thank you. I just don't feel comfortable going anywhere with you. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." I nodded, clenching my jaw. I honestly can't deal with this anymore. I've been trying every day since she came home. She won't look at me, she won't talk to me. How can she remember anything if she isn't trying.

"I don't know you." She mumbled.

"And apparently you don't want to." I snapped, walking towards my office.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked from behind me.

"Every time I try to hold a conversation with you, you always find some excuse to leave. I understand that you don't remember anything right now but I love you, and I'm trying to be patient but I just can't do it anymore."

"Well I was in a coma for two months."

"Did you ever stop and think about how you even went into a coma?"

"I fell down some stairs."

"Because of me. It was my fault and I've been living with that on my conscious for the past two months and all I wanted was for you to be okay, and for you to know how sorry I am, but I guess none of that even matters."

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" She yelled.

"I'm trying to save what we had!"

"Well don't. I won't remember it anyway."

Each word hit me hard. I felt myself about to cry. When I reached my office, I stepped inside, slamming it right in her face.

It's been a week since that day. She hasn't spoken to me and vice versa.

It was about 4 in the morning when I walked inside. I grabbed a bottle of water and made my way towards the room. Skylar was asleep. I could hear her steady breathing from across the room.

I made my way into the bathroom, turning the shower on. There was nothing I wanted more than to take a shower and go sleep. I'm exhausted. So much has been going on lately. I've had to deal with things here, as well in New York.

I'm going to have to fly there to solve the issue, I'm just not sure how soon I'll be able to go with all of the drama going on here.

As I took a shower, I cleared my mind, letting the water relax my muscles. I spent the past six hours at the gym, letting out all of my frustrations. I've been spending a lot of time at the gym lately. It's better than coming home to my girlfriend who wants nothing to do with me.

Forty minutes later I stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my waist. The mirror was covered with steam. I turned the light off in the bathroom before opening the door and going into the closet.

After I was dressed, I went to leave the room so I could sleep but she turned the lights on. "Where have you been?"

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Where have you been? You've been coming home around this time every day, then you get right back up and go to work at 8." She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm going to sleep." I said, leaving the room.

I heard her groan loudly then slam the door. I contemplated going back in there to talk for a second, then went into one of the guest rooms, crawling into the bed.

I decided to take the day off from work, hoping to catch up on some lost sleep.

It's been another whole month and there still hasn't been any progress. I'm at the point where I don't even try anymore. We don't speak, so I don't even know why she's still staying at my house. Yes I love her, but how long am I supposed to sit around and wait for the impossible.

I was sitting in my office when I received a phone call from Skylar's doctor asking how she was doing. These weekly phone calls were starting to annoy me. I don't understand why he doesn't call someone who she actually associates with.

When I got back to the house, I laid on my bed, sighing loudly. As I sat up, the bathroom door opened and Sky walked out with a towel wrapped around her. She looked uncomfortable when she made eye contact with me. "Privacy please?" She asked.

"Oh sure, you can have all the privacy you need back in the apartment you shared with Lia."

"But I live here?"

"You did, when you were my girlfriend."

"I know this is hard on you Zayn but you don't mean that." She said softly.

"You don't know me. You don't know what I mean."

"But I know you love me." She mumbled, keeping her gaze on the floor.

"I do. But I can't do this anymore. It's been hell for me Sky—to hear you tell me on a daily basis that you want nothing to do with me—to not have any contact with you—I just can't live like this anymore." I said, feeling myself about to cry.

I've been doing a lot of fucking crying lately. I need to get it together.

I think it hurts more knowing she doesn't remember, than it would if she did remember.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think about how this actually affected you. The Skylar you knew died that day. I'm not her. I wish you would stop trying to make me be her."

"I don't believe that."

"Well you should."

"So you're trying to tell me you feel nothing for me?" I asked, walking towards her.

"I-I don't." She whispered.

"You don't?"

I stood in front of her and she backed into the wall. I hovered over her, missing this feeling. My heart was accelerating at a fast pace, and I could tell hers was doing the same. I wanted to kiss her so badly, but I don't want to rush her.

"I love you, and I'm not ready to give up on us yet."

"There is no us Zayn."

"Just leave. Get out." I yelled, finally reaching my breaking point. I left the room, tears pouring down my face. This is really it. Reality hit me hard.

I love her, but I can't be with her.

As I opened the front door, I was face to face with Lia.

"Zayn." She frowned, enveloping me into a hug. It was nice to hug someone. I cried harder and she pulled away, swiping her thumbs under my eyes. "Look, you need to get it together. I know this is hard on you. I know you miss her, but Zayn you just have to be strong, if not for yourself then for her."

"Thar's easy for you to say, she remembers you." I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, but it's still not the same. She doesn't remember the past year with me either and that hurts as well. What you're not realizing is, she still remembers her car accident, and her parents' death. These are all fresh memories in her head and you can't expect her to just be welcoming you with open arms. You have to give her time to adjust."

"How much time? It's been almost two months. I've been trying with her. She doesn't want anything to do with me.

After my conversation with both Sky and Lia earlier, I didn't want to be around anyone I knew. I came back to my office, sitting in the dark, drinking bottle after bottle of alcohol. I don't know how else to cope with all of this.

It's almost three in the morning, and I'm still sitting here getting drunk.

I stumbled to my car and got inside, turning the key in the ignition. I drove away from the lit up city, driving towards the backroad that goes to my house. Everything was blurry, and dark. Bright lights shone ahead and I closed my eyes, gripping onto the steering wheel. I heard a loud horn before feeling the impact of my car colliding with something.

Skylar's POV

I was sitting around, waiting for him to come back so we could talk when the phone started ringing. I answered it, hoping that it was Zayn.

When I heard the news, I dropped the phone, feeling my heart stop.

I frantically called Lia, trying so hard not to cry.

Zayn's in the ICU because he was drinking while driving and totaled his car. I couldn't help but feel like this was all my fault.

I grabbed a set of keys off of the counter and made my way outside, getting into the first car I saw. I tried to put the key into the ignition but it didn't fit. Dammit Zayn. He has too many cars. I pushed the panic button, hearing the loud siren go off on the car that was at the other end of the garage. I ran towards it and jumped inside.

Lia met me at the hospital, and we stood in the waiting room.

Hours. It's been 5 hours and they won't tell us anything other than that it's pretty bad, and he's on life support.

I couldn't hold it in any longer. I broke down, crying into my best friend's shoulder. I may not remember Zayn but I could definitely feel the connection between us. All I did was push and push until he finally went away, and it worked.

A family walked in, and it didn't take a genius to see that it was Zayn's family. They were all so beautiful. "Skylar! Is Zayn okay?" The little girl squeaked rushing towards me.

"I-I don't know." I stuttered.

I could see the tears threatening to fall from her thick eyelashes and I reached out and pulled her towards me. "He's going to be fine." I sniffled reassuringly, not just for her, but for myself too.

His father and other two sisters greeted me, but his mother kept her distance glaring at me. So I'm going to assume she doesn't like me. I tore my gaze away from her and focused back on the young girl clinging onto me.

A/N: I'm so sorry. Every time I went to update I've had mixed feelings because I wasn't sure how I wanted to play the rest of this out but I know now. Thank you for being patient with me I love you all so much! If anyone is interested in making a new cover for the story please feel free to message me! Thanks xo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.5K 43
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
1.7M 58K 71
In which the reader from our universe gets added to the UA staff chat For reasons the humor will be the same in both dimensions Dark Humor- Read at...
1M 38.4K 90
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
1.1M 59.6K 37
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...