pearl of wisdom

By a_calamity

[ various! tower of god × reader ] Under the moon's omniscient watch, she dipped her hand into the waters whe... More

Preface
[Season 1] Chapter 0 - Undersea Encounters
[Season 1] Chapter 1 - Journey of Hope
[Season 1] Chapter 2 - Against All Odds
[Season 1] Chapter 4 - Legend of the Wind
[Season 1] Chapter 5 - The Outlander Who Siezed the Tides
[Season 1] Chapter 6 - Lonely Journey
[Season 1] Chapter 7 - Imminent Triumph
[Season 1] Chapter 8 - Striding in the Snowstorm
[Season 1] Chapter 9 - In a Harmonious Atmosphere
[ Season 1] Chapter 10 - Sink Into Oblivion
[Season 1] Chapter 10.5 - Evanescent Moments I
[Season 2] Chapter 11 - No Turning Back
[Season 2] Chapter 12 - This Little Light of Mine
[Season 2] Chapter 13 - Misty Truth
[Season 2] Chapter 14 - Chthonian Voices
[Season 2] Chapter 15 - Emerging Clouds
[Season 2] Chapter 16 - Lost in Gravel and Stone
[Season 2] Chapter 17 - The Horizon
[Season 2] Chapter 18 - Bird Call from Afar
[Season 2] Chapter 19 - Faraway Solicitude
[Season 2] Chapter 20 - Rays of Sunlight
[Season 2] Chapter 20.5 - Evanescent Moments II
[Season 2] Chapter 21 - Joy of Returning
[Season 2] Chapter 22 - Under the Clear Sky
[Season 2] Chapter 23 - Flow of Mildness
[Season 2] Chapter 24 - Separate Ways
[Season 2] Chapter 25 - Rapid as Wildfires
[Season 2] Chapter 26 - A Venture into the Unknown
[Season 2] Chapter 27 - In the Desolate Hallway
[Season 2] Chapter 28 - Lone Drifter
[Season 2] Chapter 29 - Broken Blade
[Season 2] Chapter 30 - Nothing but a Dream
[Season 2] Chapter 30.5 - Evanescent Moments III
[Season 2] Chapter 31 - What Now Remains
[Season 2] Chapter 32 - Everlasting Devotion
[Season 2] Chapter 33 - Perpetual Motion of Wind
[Season 2] Chapter 34 - Legends Swept Away
[Season 2] Chapter 35 - Riders of the Wind, Onward
[Season 2] Chapter 36 - Mournful Whisperings
[Season 2] Chapter 37 - Nothing but Ivy
[Season 2] Chapter 38 - Tender Strength
[Season 2] Chapter 39 - When All Has Elapsed
[Season 2] Chapter 40 - A Glimmer of Hope
[Season 2] Chapter 40.5 - Evanescent Moments IV
[Season 2] Chapter 41 - The Abysmal Region
[Season 2] Chapter 42 - To the Crescent Moon's Shimmer
[Season 2] Chapter 43 - Ones Who Strive to Live
[Season 2] Chapter 44 - Dreaming Earth
[Season 2] Chapter 45 - Approaching Thunder
[Season 2] Chapter 46 - A Pearl Amongst Legends
[Season 2] Chapter 47 - Now and Forevermore
[Season 2] Chapter 48 - Termination of Desires
[Season 2] Chapter 49 - Tactician's Grit
[Season 2] Chapter 50 - A Glorious Awakening
[Season 2] Chapter 50.5 - Evanscent moments V
Interlude I - Memorandum of Coral

[Season 1] Chapter 3 - Gallant Challenge

2.1K 100 8
By a_calamity

"Did you get enough rest, regulars?" Lero-Ro walked into the waiting room, dissipating your thoughts of Watatsumi and your people, "I'm so happy to see you again!"

He laughed, "I came here with very good news."

"I talked with the test director before I came here and he told us to give you a bonus game!"

"Sorry but. . ." Shibisu raised a hand, "It's not good for us to have more tests!"

"I'm sorry to hear that. It's up to each team to choose whether to play the bonus game. There's no penalty if you don't participate. But the winner of this bonus game gets to pass the final test of this floor."

"They get the right to go straight to the next floor." Laure woke, head tilting over to the ranker. "The winner won't have to take the remaining tests."

"This game is called the crown game. I will explain the details to you when we get to the game spot."

After arriving at the game spot and having Lero-Ro explain the rules, you sat down as the countdown started, "Let's be cautious and wait for now."

Thus you watched as Anak single-handedly defeat the other team, her display of power forming a premonition of doom over the atmosphere.

"Let's go this time." Laure woke from his slumber, his sudden words shocking Ho.

". . .What?"

"Let's join this round."

"Are you dreaming of something? It's the second round. Do you think we can last until the fifth round? We still have a while to go until it's time for us to join, so just go to sleep. Did you wake up to say that silly stuff?" Serena leered.

"Stupid girl."

"What!?"

"The defensive team only has a disadvantage until the second or third round. From the third or fourth round, the defensive team has a better chance of winning. Especially for a team like us." Laure sat up, his blanket now only on his legs.

"I understand, I do but Mr. Laure but let's not be hasty. We still don't know why Ms. Anak chose to sit on the throne despite being the most capable in her team." You attempted to reason, "For now we must assume that her limited movement won't affect her area of reach."

"It doesn't matter, I can still attack her from anywhere. If we can hold the crown from the third round onwards for five minutes, we'll win." Laure stood, wrapping his blanket around himself, "If more than three attacking teams join the game the attacking teams can't destroy the defensive line because they'll have to stop other attacking teams and the defensive team. There's no guarantee that three or less attacking teams will be joining the third round so we have to act now."

"So. . . if there are many attacking teams ,which team is safest during the first five minutes?" Laure asked, turning to his other teammates.

"The team with the member sitting on the king's throne." Ho replied reluctantly, glancing downwards.

". . . Makes sense. But even though it's true that the defensive team has an advantage, they won't be able to hold of all the attacking teams in that five minutes." Serena replied.

"I can."

". . . What?"

"I can hold off all the other teams while sitting on the king's throne and protecting the crown. During those five minutes I can keep the crown keeper completely safe, because I'm a shinsu user."

You sighed, ". . . Alright, there's no convincing Mr. Laure otherwise. Ms, Serena and Mr. Ho, please avoid the swordsman and stall Mr. Shibisu. I'll take care of the swordsman."

You turned to the blanket covered male, "I'll leave stealing the crown to you, Mr. Laure, if things get of hand please take Ms. Serena and Mr. Ho and run."

He nodded, "Yes."

"Because there was a winning team in the previous round, only four teams can join this time! I'll start counting. . . now! The teams that want to join should press the buzzer before the count is over!"

"One!" You stood, cleaning your garments.

"Two!" Serena pulled you along to the bars by the entrance.

"Three!" Ho stopped next to you.

"Four!" Laure groaned as he stood.

"Five!" and Serena pressed the buzzer.

You sighed as the defeated team pathetically fell onto the floor, the swordsman turning as he felt your presence. He got into a battle stance- "Are you my opponent?"

A quiet smile appeared on your face, "It would seem so."

He grabbed his sword, swiftly pulling it out of it's sheath, throwing it into the air in your direction, "Highest flying sword."

He dashed forward, swinging horizontally violently, "Lowest flying sword!"

You jumped back, your catalyst swirling to life next to you, the gem on your chest glimmering with it's own mind. The swordsman darted closer, swinging his sword with the force if a hundred waves.

Hurriedly, you turned on your heel, the strike barely missing your hair. He glared at you- "Stay still or fight back."

You hummed, a quiet smile on your face as you dodged yet another strike, the third fish of the battle emerging from your hands and joining the other two- "My apologies however brute force is not my modus operandi."

"Now please rest!" and with a charged attack that had you twirling in air, accompanied by the rise of your hand that commanded a swirling school of fishes, the swordsman fell onto the ground.

Sighing, you turned to your teammates, running over as Serena was about to stab Shibisu, "Ms. Serena! Please wait!"

"Huh? I'm just about to end him-"

"There's no need for that!" You smiled wryly, summoning a fish, the creature swimming over to the man in the jumpsuit and knocking him out cold, "There, that's enough."

"Huh. . . that works." Serena commented as Ho placed Shibisu onto the ground.

Laure rose from his slumber, cloud-like cresents surrounding him, his hand enchased in dancing shinsu, a sphere of light forming in his palm. Then there was a whirring- a beam of iridescnwt light heading towards the throne before your eyes. Anak jumoed onto the backseat of the throne, the impact from Laure's blast crackling beneath her hand.

Ho and Serena rushed forward, you opened your palm, gifting the creature of water in your hands life and sending it after the crown as Anak partook in close combat with Serena and Ho.

Laure fired off yet another beam, Anak right in the middle of the attack. "Give us the crown. I can attack you from anywhere."

When the shinsu died down, Anak stood, her garments torn but unscathed nevertheless. She raised her weapon, a feral look in her eyes, "Ignition! I will kill all of you-"

Then she looked at you- and all came still.

- -

"[Name], come with me." Lero-Ro popped up in front of you, placing a hand on your shoulder and teleporting away. Serena sighed, running a hand through her hair after a moment of shock- she could only hope you'll be fine.

You blinked, coming to face two other teams- Baam waving over to you amiably before Lero-Ro explained the situation, from how Baam was lent a weapon from Yuri as well to Anak's identity as a Princess of Zahard in. Anak walked over to you, "[Name], was it? Let's play a game."

"I'll bet my Green April, you'll bet Everlasting Moonglow and Baam will bet Black March. If you win the crown game, you can have Green April. If you don't win, you'll give me Everlasting Moonglow." Anak outstretched the green weapon in her hands, "The game is simple, you'll join Baam's team starting the next round and win the rest of the rounds. And I won't attack you for the duration of this test."

"Then you should know Ms. Yuri lent me this too. If that's all, I agree with your terms." A quiet smile blossomed on your face, "However, if we find that all three weapons hold too much power for you to wield I expect you to fully comply with us until Lady Yuri has her weapons back. Furthermore, after this game ends, regardless of the results, you will not be allowed to attack us freely."

"Under the condition that the crown game is suspended and there is no winner, ownership of these weapons will not change. If a rule is broken, there will be consequences." You placed a hand on your chest, "Do we have an understanding?"

Anak scowled, "Yes."

"But Ms. [Name]. . ." Baam trailed off, his eyes flickering over to his teammates then to the black needle in his hands. Anak smiled mockingly, nose in the air, "What're you thinking? you're not sure if you'll win the game, right? Well, I understand. It won't be easy to win with those weak teammates."

You sighed, the agitated faces of the crocodile humanoid and the blue-haired boy proving they were very much provoked. The blue-haired boy spoke, "What are you waiting for, Baam!? Of course you'll do this! We accept your terms."

"Mr. . . Mr. Khun!"

"It's fine! We were going to join the next round anyways!"

"Your name is. . . Anak Zahard?" Khun fixed his tie, "Extra's like you don't really know what's up. The main characters like us go out last."

"That's why we were waiting for so long, right? Crocodile!?"

A roar tore through the chamber- "Of course!! The game without me!!! Doesn't mean anything!!!"

The giant creature glared at Anak, ruby eyes penetrating, "Don't back out. You little lizard."

"Alright." Lero-Ro placed a hand on Anak's shoulder which Anak grabbed tightly, crushing his fingers, "I'll add the new rule. If Baam's team joins the next round and becomes the winner of the game Anak's Green April goes to [Name] and Baam and Anak can't steal Black March or Everlasting Moonglow. But if Baam's team loses the game, Everlasting Moonglow and Black March goes to Anak."

"There will be no other changes to the game, which means Anak's team still lost this round." Lero-Ro held up his sollwn finger, a frown on his face, "So the next round begins without a winning team."

The ranker walked away, "So then, let's continue the game again, regulars."

You sighed as Anak's team left too, taking out your catalyst in gold which served as an emblem of pearls and waves, thinking of a plan as Rak stared long and hard at your weapon, "Huh? What is that? Food?"

"You idiot." Khun deadpanned, "That's Everlasting Moonglow, a feared weapon that came from outside the tower, one that doesn't obey the rules of the tower like an irregular. Although, because it's so unfamiliar no one has wielded it to this day."

The crocodile grunted, "It's puny. I was expecting something strong."

You smiled wryly, "Rest assured, this weapon under certain conditions, is of great assistance, Mr. . .?"

"I'm leader Rak. I'm the true leader of the era." He glanced at you.

". . . I see."

Khun looked over, cold electric eyes meeting yours, "To be able to use that weapon. . . who are you?"

You offered a smile, "I am [Name]."

For a second, silence came- and then a rather irritated shout.

"I know that! You're just like Baam. . . how stingy. . ." You gave an apologetic smile and silence followed. Khun sighed, "My name is Khun. Khun Aguero Agnes. Changing teams suddenly might be hard but don't worry, you'll fit right in."

You gave him an uninterested smile upon his backhanded insult before you spoke, "For this round, I suggest you do nothing and wait for the time being, lest you submit into the heat of the battle and lose your composure. Wait for the last moment and capture the crown in one fell swoop."

"For the fourth round, minimize your energy consumption and limit your movements for the last round. Strategically pit your opponents against each other and stall until the five minute mark." You spoke, Baam staring off into the floor as his teammates listened in, "And-"

"I'm sorry, because of me. . . the three of you are in danger and I can't really do much. . ."

You paused, turning the boy as Khun spoke, "Don't worry, Baam. Thanks to you two, that lizard ignited her weapon and got out of her chair! But, Baam, I think you're pretty amazing."

". . . Huh?"

"You kept the Black March from Zahard's daughter. Frankly speaking, I'm surprised."

"There's. . . nothing to be amazed at. I could only do it because I had you three." Baam admitted, gaze downcast, "Besides I got help from the Black March once."

A fond memory flashed before his eyes, his blonde friend teaching him not to betray anyone- "I don't want to betray her. . . that's what I learned. Betraying a girl would make the world's roof fall on me."

For a moment, no one spoke- then Khun snorted, "But that doesn't change the fact that you don't have enough power to protect the Black March, Baam. Which means what you did was all a bluff. Hearing you say that makes me wonder why I did it. And that stupid crocodile isn't that useful compared to his body size, right?"

"But you're still amazing." Khun glanced up before turning to his friend, "You're not strong and you've got no skills to rely on but you try to protect the people who trusts you. I could never do that."

"The third round of the crown game will begin shortly! The teams that want to join, press the buzzer before the count is over!"

"One!"

"Should we go now?" Khun asked, facing his teammates as they walked forwards, "To get the king's throne."

"Two!"

"Three!"

"Four!"

You placed a hand on your chest, summoning fishes to chase after them, "Good luck."

"Five! Let's begin!"

author's note

anak seeing you means seeing everlasting moonglow, she did go after you with green april. your teammates did also run away of course.

having mc adjust the rules is just precautions to her- anak was certain they would lose so she agreed anyways, even though she really didn't want to out of spite.

mc stayed back in the crown game because if the other regulars would definitely know wbout the weapons and their bet and try to get it for themselves- no one wants that happening. the fishes she sent after her current team, think of it as ohc's bubble under mc's command 😋😋 the fishes go pop!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.8K 1K 23
Ever since you were a little girl, you've had a hidden fascination with the Inner Tower. You want to leave your small, peaceful town, in order to cli...
128K 7.5K 51
[ TOG PLOT//COMPLETED ] "𝘐'𝘭𝘭 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘢𝘧𝘦." 𝘈 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢 𝘣𝘰𝘺 𝘮𝘦𝘵 𝘢𝘵 𝘢𝘯 𝘶𝘯𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘶...
51.9K 2.9K 41
|Completed Story| Khun Aguero Agnes is a senior in high school. But as well as him being a student, he is also a well known singer, with a very famou...
60.8K 2.8K 100
(Baam x OC x Koon) Born into loneliness and betrayed by his first friend, Baam enters The Tower of God with his second friend- the only one who seems...