[Season 1] Chapter 7 - Imminent Triumph

"As I explained in the last lesson, the basic unit of a cluster of shinsu is called a baang. The size of a baang is called myun and the consistency of shinsu that can be injected into a baang is called soo." Yuga explained, walking in circles around you as you closed your eyes, attempting to summon multiple baangs in your hands. "Baang, myun and soo are all important, but amongst then, baang is the most important to wave controllers. The higher the number of baang you can control, the more effective it is when a wave controller suppresses their enemy."

"If I fight someone who can control one baang, using three baangs, they will have to find a way to block the other two baangs I used." In your hands, four orbs whirred, a smaller fifth sphere blossoming into life before popping just as fast as it came. "However, controlling many baangs is very difficult. If you focus on just a bit more on one of them, the other baangs will vanish."

"It's certainly challenging. You mustn't only study the details too closely lest your other baangs will vanish but you also mustn't keep a single baang in isolation." You sighed, placing your hands on your sides.

". . . Challenging?" the supposed ranker laughed, "It took me two years to materialize my first baang after learning how to use shinsu. Even then people still called me a genius. But Ms. [Name], it's only been two weeks and you've already materialized four baangs and controlled shinsu. What should I call you then?"

"Remember this Ms. [Name], your talent is something anyone in the tower would be jealous of."

You stared at the ranker- "I understand your concerns however that's alright with me. Such talent, as you call it, comes with responsibility and you can't defy that which flows through your veins."

- -

"Regulars participating in this joint position test! Congratulations to all of you!" Lero-Ro stood in front of the regulars, "This joint test is for the 29 of you, excluding the ones who've already passed or failed. And 14 or 15 of you will will form a team to take the test. The regulars should take the test in the team assigned to them"

You glanced at the list, spotting your picture by three other wave controllers, under team B's column. Androssi, Anak, Khun, Shibisu and Laure under Team A. Serena, Ho, Baam, Michelle and Hatsu with you in Team B. Lero-Ro cleared his throat, "Teams have been fairly assigned based on the previous test results."

"There's a similar number of each position in both teams. The teams are balanced so you can't say you were at a disadvantage because of your team." Lero-Ro then gestured to the other teachers, "You'll be graded individually and as a team during this test. This grade will have the most impact on whether you pass or fail in the final, so please do your best."

"For your information, your position teachers will grade you individually and the test director will grade each team." Lero-Ro turned to the regulars once more, "Details about the test will be given by the test director, Test Director Yu?"

"Hi, I'm Yu Han Sung, the test director. Nice to meet you again. I'll now explain the test you'll be taking. The test is hide-and-seek."

"H- hide-and-seek?"

"As in that one game?"

"So is it between the teams?"

"Yes, it is the hide-and-seek you know well. But this isn't a team competition. You won't have to battle the other team." He nodded, "Each team will play hide-and-seek with a seeker we've designated."

"Outside the window, you'll find a huge round construction. That's the stage you'll take the test on." The regulars glanced out, the huge circle meeting their eyes. "That's huge. . ."

"That's the test spot?"

"The rules are simple." A diagram of the testing spot appeared, "Choose someone to be it among the fishermen. If the one who's it leaves the safety zone and reaches the exit without being tagged by the seeker you win. I'll give you three hours, the game is over if the one who's it is caught by the seeker."