[Season 2] Chapter 40 - A Glimmer of Hope

"Baam. . ." You started as the irregular wiped his tears away. He sniffled, "I-I'm sorry. . . I wasn't the only one Rachel harmed. Yet I. . ."

"I understand, but don't worry, you have nothing to apologize for. Rachel's wrongdoings aren't yours." You shook your head, voice soft and mellow as Baam embraced you, "Still, you have much to learn. There's only forward from here."

What a mess. . .

"[Name]. . . I understand now." Baam gripped onto your shoulders as he spoke gently into your skin, ". . . As nice it would be to return to the beginning. . . I also live for all the friends I made in the tower. I have to keep going forward."

"That's right. You're free to live in your way as you choose, but we never only live for ourselves. Pushing our absence onto the people who care for us is cruel." Your mind then drifted to Watatsumi's Resistance, "We will experience loss and uphill battles, but your actions shapes the world around you. Our comrades will fight for us and we'll fight for them in turn. Even if we're bound to destiny and when our lives are worthless to us, let's keep living for them."

"Yeah. . . I- . . . hehe," He huffed, pulling back from the hug, "Let's go, [Name]."

You nodded before tilting your head down the passage, eyes meeting Hockney and Mata who approached, "Everything is accounted for, let's move out."

Blinding light greeted you a few more feet into the passageway, the grand flash dissipating just as Mata's shocked exclamation did. A skeleton dressed in flowing garments with a Spector in his hands greeted you, his successor next to him, "What purpose has brought you all here? You intruders."

You gazed upwards, observing the former and current lord of North City, "You must be Grand De Jah. . . I am [Last name] [Name]. My comrades and I have come her to retrieve the thorn fragment Enryu left behind."

"What!? The thorn fragment!? Wait!! Do you work for Joe!?" He held up a fist. Baam flinched, eyes wide as he waved his arms around, "N-no!! We-!!"

Grand De Jah then snapped his gaze to Hockney, " You're back! My eyes!!"

Hockney blinked, clueless, ". . . What?"

So that's why De Jah has no eyes. . . You stared over at the lord's as they spoke to each other,  reluctantly staring into De Jah's eyeless sockets. Lowering your eyes, you hummed to yourself, your gaze drifting to Mata before the former lord called you out, "Very well! You strangers who have come with my eyes, you are worthy! I will allow you to take the test!!"

"R-really!?" Baam beamed.

"That's right!! You must be worthy if you came here with my eyes! So I will let you take the test!" De Jah stated, his expression matching Baam's. Hockney stared up at the lord, perplexed, "Your eyes. . .  What does that mean. . .?"

"Let me-" A familiar blonde stepped closer, appearing from the shadows of the passageway, "let me take that test too! I'm worthy too!"

"I've dreamed of walking this path for ages!! Plus, I'm the one who brought that guy here!! This guy is nothing more than a thief who is trying to steal something that belongs to me!!" Rachel shouted vehemently, turning to glare at Baam as she continued, "So, I think that I'm far more worthy of having the thorn!!"

You don't deny the familiar hand that takes yours.

"Rachel, again, do mind your words in my presence. I am still your comrades' ally and equal." With a sigh, you turned to De Jah, placing your other hand on your chest, "Grand De Jah, it's your call."

"Hmm. . ." He faced Rachel, "But. . . girl, I sense an evil energy coming from you. I may not have eyes but I can sense the chaos emanating from your soul."