[Season 1] Chapter 10.5 - Evanescent Moments I

“Shall we bet on something?” Khun asked slyly as he sat across you, the chess board in between you both. You blinked, “What could we have to bet?”

“Our secrets. Everytime one of us loses a game, the loser has to reveal a secret.” Khun suggested, his fingers intertwined under his chin, “I'd bet my hidden assets in manbarondenna too.”

“Huh!? Hey, were you planning this from the start!?” Shibisu screeched, making a rather unamused face. Khun chuckled— his suggestion was one made and trailered for him to know more about you, the mysterious lady who seized the violent, turbulent tides of the everlasting sea.

To anyone that would've been impossible. For even an ancient being is easier to tame than the still ocean.

You offered a polite smile, “I don't mind.”

“Great! Let's start playing then.” Khun cackled, “You two should know, I've never lost in this kind of game.”

“Hey! This is rigged isn't it!?”

You glanced at Shibisu who glanced back, the morphing expressions on your faces very much unimpressed. You huffed, taking your pawn as you stared into Khun's eyes, “It takes two to play, shall we?”

Thus two hours later, you were smiling, humming as though you were revitalized.

“Hehehe. Check.” Your shoulders shook with each passing giggle. In front of you, Khun made a face—staring at the board before he sighed, “The passcode to my pocket is. . . KHA077RO. Damnit, I've lost five times. There goes my secrets.”

Shibisu wheezed, “[Name]'s still at zero!! You were so arrogant too!!”

Khun clicked his tongue, staring at your face before he rearranged the peices on his side with a defeated sigh, “Whatever. It's your turn against [Name], Shibisu.”

A look of mild dread came over the regular— “Uh-oh.”

You smiled politely, “Shall we do five rounds as well, Mr. Shibisu?”

Thus after another two hours, you knew five more secrets

— —

“Think of it as. . . an extension of yourself.” Hatsu commented. You nodded, swinging the sword of bamboo around as a wandering samurai of a fallen clan once did. If you recall correctly, he often performed five rapid strikes with a single hand, the last strike being the hardest to master.

When he wasn't using his sword in battle, he would be uisng his anemo vision that utilizes a secret technique as fierce as the rushing wind that pulls opponents to the user before launching them away and lifting the user into the air.

In all fairness, you hold it to be a very powerful skill. However, you have no such anemo vision— thus you could only mimic such technique. Closing your eyes, you listened to the ocean's hymn, the bamboo sword in your hand taking the indefinite shape of water.

The next moment you were floating, turbulent tides dancing back and forth.

Hatsu stared, an amused laugh leaving him, “I think you just learned something new, [Name].”

You nodded, a small smile upon you— “Thank you, Mr. Hatsu. For teaching me the art of the sword.”

— —

“[Name]? What are you doing here? The wave controller's class is in the opposite hall.”  Serena called out to you as you wandered through the halls. With a sheepish laugh, you bashfully looked away, “I. . . may have wandered off.”

“Oh,” Serena laughed, the amused twinkle in her eyes overcoming her hidden spite. For a moment, you simply stared at her, mustering a smile, you turned on your heel, “It was nice talking to you, Ms. Serena.”

That may have been the last time you talked to her.

— —

“Mr. Laure,” You started, glancing at the man who laid on the ground by the table— Baam silently listening to the conversation across you, “when you make a baang. . . do you imagine the world?”

He nodded lazily, snug and cozy inside his blanket. With a yawn, he glanced at you, “Is it different for you?”

You nodded, “I usually imagine the ocean.”

“The ocean. . .?” Laure sat up, “You're weird. . . but that explains why your baangs are so unusual.”

“Hehe.”

“What's the ocean like Ms. [Name]?” Baam spoke up. You turned to him, a bittersweet tone dropping into your voice, “The ocean. . . is bottomless and vast enough to accommodate everyone's wishes. It's capricious and shines with wondrous colors and the pearls within the deep will never dim. Deep, deep down, many hidden relics await for the day it'll see light and be enshrined.”

You placed a hand on your chest, “Or so I've heard.”

“Huh!?”

— —

“Mermaid turtle!! Do you have more chocolate bars?”  The alligator walked into your room, plopping down onto a chair. You glanced up at him from the novel you were reading, “Mm. . . would you like more, Mr. Rak?”

“Yeah!!”

“Alright.” You took a chocolate bar stored in your lighthouse, giving it to the crocodile. Thus, from that day onwards, Rak came to you more and more for his daily dose of snacks.

— —

Anak stared at you with a frown on her face, her hands crossed as she grumbled, standing in one spot. You sat on your bed, staring up at her with your typical smile. Placing a hand to your chest, you met her gaze, “Is there anything I could help you with?”

Wordlessly, Anak held out a sheet of paper— a friend list, you recognized it to be hers. She pushed it forwards, “Sign. . . please.”

“Hehe, alright. Let me get a pen.”

As time passed, so did Anak's unnecessarily icy exterior.

author's note

kazuha (an raiden, technically) being the only sword-user(s) in kokomi's voicelines:

season one is officially done 🥳🥳 next chapter should be season two!! so if you watch the anime only and don't want to get spoiled,, please don't read any further 😋😋

have fun watching when season two comes out!!