𝖘𝖆𝖑𝖛𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 | 𝖍𝖊𝖗𝖒...

بواسطة kitkatgram

She was thought to be dead by her father and the whole world. They were all wrong. She wakes up from her slum... المزيد

salvation
prologue
act 1. back from the dead
i. run, badger, run
ii. his little phoenix
iii. the descendants
iv. back to hogwarts
v. the courage to let go
vi. sir sorting hat
vii. the bloody quill
viii. a dallas choice
ix. uncle aberforth
x. defense against umbridge
xi. ron the keeper
xii. reunited with rubeus
xiii. the day of the phoenix
xiv. tears of fawkes
xv. empty your mind
xvi. warmth in winter
xvii. the quibbler effect
xviii. the flight of the dumbledores
xix. seeing through illusions
xx. the prophecy of the heirs
act 2. pain from the memories
xxi. meet the dursleys
xxii. the old potioneer
xxiii. weasleys' wizard wheezes
xxiv. encounters
xxv. the welcoming feast
xxvi. potions masters
xxvii. ogden and the gaunts
xxviii. tryouts for teams
xxix. truths and secrets
xxx. albus and tom
xxxi. quidditch and gits
xxxii. hurting revelations
xxxiii. the slug club party
xxxiv. sacred blood
xxxv. the minister's plea
xxxvi. a tampered memory
xxxvii. poisoned mead
xxxviii. the payment of refusal
xxxix. a sneaky badger
xl. splitting the soul
xli. a boy's troubles
xlii. cave of curses
xliii. attack of the mark
xlv. goodbye, dumbledore
act 3. warmth from the heart
xlvi. the aftermath of the breakup
xlvii. 7 potters and a dumbledore
xlviii. persisting feelings
xlix. his final will
l. love lingers
li. a wrong landing
lii. captain wolf
liii. sir gellert
liv. fate now known
lv. onto the next journey
lvi. holding on
lvii. the deathly hallows
lviii. potterwatch
lix. captured and tortured
lx. the strong muggleborn
lxi. the risky robbery
lxii. the dumbledores' secrets
lxiii. the army's bravery
lxiv. snape's dismissal
lxv. the lost diadem
lxvi. the tragic fates
lxvii. harry the horcrux
lxviii. the fulfillment of the prophecies
lxix. choices and prices
lxx. an otter's grief
lxxi. farewell, hogwarts
lxxii. rise from the ashes
epilogue

xliv. the rage of the phoenix

2.7K 123 16
بواسطة kitkatgram

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Deanna dropped to her knees, the tears that had been waiting fell with her. Not a sound left her mouth. It couldn't be. It couldn't have happened. She knew something was going to happen. Something horrible, but it was a dream right? It was just a nightmare?

"Out of here, quickly," said the voice of Snape, leaving the Tower with the rest of the Death Eaters and Malfoy. The same voice that spoke the spell that killed her... no, he wasn't dead. He was just there, hanging on as he always did. He was just waiting for her. As he had been for the 50 years Deanna was gone.

As the door closed, Harry seemed to snap out of his shock. He took off the Invisibility Cloak and looked at Deanna with worry. "D-Deanna, I –"

Standing up, Deanna wiped away her tears and smiled weakly though she did not meet Harry's eyes. "What are you saying, Harry? He's still out there. He's just waiting for us to help him, look." She made to move towards the edge of the balcony but Harry quickly held her back.

"Deanna, please." Harry's voice cracked and a tear slipped from his eye. It was just unfair, heartbreaking. Deanna and Dumbledore were separated for 50 years because of a man who was blinded by power, and now, they were separated once more but this time for good. And to think, it was Snape who had done so. Snape who Dumbledore trusted with his life.

"Let me go, Harry," said Deanna, trying to keep her voice calm and struggling against Harry who tightened his grip on her. "We need to help him so let go, damn it! He's not –"

"Deanna, please!" Harry shouted, letting his tears fall freely. Deanna stopped moving at his shout. She clenched her fists and tried to stop her tears from falling to no avail. Her father was still there. This was just a stupid nightmare. It was a mistake. He wasn't dead. He wasn't...

"I'm so sorry, Dee. But he's gone."

Silence. It was silent for a few moments. Harry was about to apologize for his bluntness when he felt Deanna's body shaking. "Deanna?"

"He's gone?" Deanna whispered in such a broken voice Harry could not help but feel his heart break once more for the bright Hufflepuff. "He's gone. Professor Snape..."

Saying his name seemed to wake Deanna up because there was a fire in her eyes. Anger, hatred, pain. Harry was so surprised by the fire in Deanna's eyes and the sudden heat that came from her body that he let go of her. Her body was illuminated by a golden light for a split second that Harry thought he imagined it, but seeing her eyes flash gold made Harry sure what he saw was not a trick of light.

The heat wasn't the type of warmth that came from Deanna. It was a burning fire that aimed to destroy. It was his first time seeing her so angry. She was calm and collected just like Dumbledore, but in that moment, there was only anger and pain in her.

The moment Harry let go of her, Deanna took the opportunity to chase Snape, clutching her wand tight.

"Deanna!"

Not even hearing Harry's call in her rage, Deanna ran as fast as she could. Her heart was beating fast in her chest. She needed to get Snape. He was a Potioneer. He can so something. He can bring her father back. Deanna reached the bottom of the staircase, a battle meeting her eyes.

"It's over, it's time to go!" The wretched voice of Snape shouted. The voice that would soon haunt Deanna's nightmares. She looked to her right and saw Snape disappearing with Malfoy around the corner. Deanna ran to their direction, but someone stood in her way.

It was Yaxley, one of the Death Eaters, and he had the audacity to smirk at her. "You –"

"Ignis Rugiet!" Deanna yelled, not even waiting for him to finish as the fireball knocked him to the side, unconscious. She ran again, but someone had rammed into her side, making her fall on her side. It was Fenrir Greyback this time.

"You ruffian, get out of my way!" Fire came from Deanna's body and wand, knocking Greyback to the side and burning some of his fur. Fenrir Greyback's eyes widened and he let out a little whimper because of the burning fire that erupted from Deanna's body and the golden glare in her eyes.

Without another glance, Deanna continued on her way. She had to stop thought when she saw Ginny combating with Amycus Carrow who threw hex after hex at Ginny who dodged easily.

Amycus giggled and continued with his spell. "Crucio — Crucio — you can't dance forever, pretty —"

"Flipendo!" yelled Deanna, her jinx hitting Amycus in the chest and making the Death Eater slam into the wall. Deanna could see Ron, Minerva, Sirius, Remus, Ria and Tonks fighting their own Death Eaters.

"Deanna, get down!" Harry suddenly appeared in front of her. Deanna ducked down quickly, pulling Ginny with her as Harry cast a spell at one of the Death Eaters who was about to attack them.

"Where did you two come from?" Ginny cried out. Deanna did not answer her, running once more. No matter what, she needed to catch Snape. On her way, Deanna bumped into Neville who she grabbed immediately so they wouldn't fall.

"Thank you, Deanna," said Neville appreciatively. "Snape and Malfoy – "

"Cru –"

"Ignis Rugiet!" Deanna yelled, quickly defending her and Neville from Rowle who attempted the Cruciatus Curse on them. "I'll go after them, Neville."

"Deanna? Where are you going?" Neville yelled after her.

Deanna just ignored him as she did with some of the bodies on the floor. She could only hope they weren't dead yet. She saw bloody footprints, leading to the path to the front doors and immediately followed the path.

"Crucio!"

Deanna hid behind a wall because of the spell Amycus Carrow threw at her. She saw them running down the staircase and chased after them. She could hear more shouts and screams now. It seemed that the whole castle was now aware of the battle. She used a shortcut to get to Snape and Malfoy more quickly, knowing they were probably at the grounds by now.

Deanna was out into the corridor where she was met by the sight of bewildered Hufflepuffs with some of her friends there.

"Deanna! We heard a noise, and someone said something about the Dark Mark —" began Ernie.

"Get back into your rooms and stay alert!" Deanna yelled, pushing through them and sprinting towards the open front doors. She finally reached the dark grounds and she could make out three figures racing across the lawn and heading for the gates in order to Disapparate. Snape, Malfoy and Bellatrix.

Deanna did not even feel the cold anymore. She was numb. Numb due to pain and rage. She saw a flash of light in the distance and continued running. Another flash, shouts and more jets of light.

Deanna knew now what was happening. Hagrid was trying to stop the Death Eaters from escaping. She felt as if she couldn't breathe due to the fast beating of her heart and all the running she was doing, but she sped up, not wanting to lose someone else. They won't take Rubeus. Not him too.

Deanna fell forward because of a sudden spell that hit her back. Her face hit the ground and she looked back to see the Carrows there. Getting up, she raised her wand quickly. "Ignis Rugiet!" The spell hit the brother and sister, and Deanna sprinted after Snape once more.

Deanna saw Hagrid, illuminated by the moonlight while Bellatrix aimed curse after curse at him. Snape and Malfoy were still running though so Deanna had ran past Hagrid and chased after them.

"Expelliarmus!" Deanna aimed at Snape, but it had soared past Snape's head.

Snape shouted, "Run, Draco!" and turned. He and Deanna stared at each other down and his eyes had showed a moment of surprise before he quickly masked his expression into one of distaste.

"Oh, it's little Dumbledore!" Bellatrix cackled but just as she raised her wand, Snape stopped her.

"No, she belongs to the Dark Lord." Snape's remark made Deanna and Bellatrix both scoff though for different reasons. Bellatrix brought her attention back to Hagrid as Deanna and Snape were still staring at each other intensely. They raised their wands simultaneously.

"Stupefy!" Deanna cast a spell, but Snape had blocked it immediately. He cast a curse at Deanna who had blocked it with her fire shield. "Flammarum!"

"Incendio!" Bellatrix had yelled behind Deanna. There was an explosive bang and the orange flame had illuminated the darkness. She looked back and saw that Hagrid's house was on fire.

"Fang's in there, yer evil — !" Hagrid bellowed. Snape took Deanna's distraction as an opportunity and he quickly cast a curse at her, knocking Deanna back to the ground and making blood come from her mouth.

"Weak. Naïve." Snape sneered at her. "No nerve or ability –"

"Aurumma!"

"Obcidolens."

Deanna's fire spell and Snape's dark curse met in the middle, green acid meeting a gold fire. Deanna had to hold on with two hands while Snape held his own lazily as if he was not taking Deanna seriously. Deanna's rage rose again once more at that, and Snape was surprised once more at the fire around her and her golden eyes.

"You liar!" Deanna roared angrily over Hagrid's yells and the yelps of Fang. "Fight me properly, coward!"

"Liar, you call me?" shouted Snape back. "Your father had kept secrets and told you lies. What would you call him, I wonder?"

"Shut up!" Deanna glared at him. "Don't you dare speak about him. Ex –"

"This is why you'll never win," sneered Snape. "You let your emotions control you and you refuse to see the truth."

"Come!" he shouted at Bellatrix. "It is time to be gone, before the Ministry turns up —"

"Impedi –"

Deanna could not even finish her spell due to the pain that hit her. Someone was screaming. Who was it? She fell forward and clutched at her head, trying to ease the pain.

"No!" roared Snape's voice and the pain stopped suddenly. Deanna panted on the grass while Snape was shouting, "Have you forgotten our orders? Dumbledore and Potter belong to the Dark Lord — we are to leave them! Go! Go!"

And Deanna sat up as quick as she could, seeing the Carrows run towards the gates. She stood up quickly and ran towards Snape. She did not care for her life in that moment. All she wanted to do was to bring her father back, and catching Snape there would do that. Deanna tried thinking of every spell she could think of and remembered the spells in that book.

"Sectum –"

Snape flicked his wand and the curse was repelled once more. Snape's face was illuminated by the blazing flames. A face of pure rage, complete hatred and distaste. Mustering all her powers of concentration, Deanna thought, Levi —

"No, Dumbledore!" screamed Snape. Deanna flew back this time and her wand flew out of her hand. She heard Bellatrix's cackles, Hagrid's yells and Fang's howls. Snape walked closer towards her and looked down on her. She was wandless and defenseless just as her father had been, but she was not scared. Not at all. She wondered if this is how her father felt before Snape had killed him. Was he scared or was he numb? Did he ever think that the man he trusted would kill him?

Snape looked at her with anger, but not the hatred that he had on his face before he killed Dumbledore. It was like anger because she found out something she should not have. "You dare use my own spells against me, Dumbledore? It was I who invented them — I, the Half-Blood Prince! You may be skilled like your father, but where did that get him? Dead!"

Deanna dove for her wand, but Snape cast a hex at it, making it fly into the darkness. Deanna glared at him, feeling only rage for the Professor she once respected. "Kill me. Kill me like you killed my father, you coward and liar –"

"DON'T—" screamed Snape with rage and a hint of pain — "CALL ME COWARD!" And he slashed at the air.

Deanna was slammed backward into the ground and she felt something white and hot hit her across the face. She saw spots of lights and felt her breath had gone out of her body for a moment, but she heard a rush of sings and something enormous came into sight. Buckbeak flew at Snape who staggered backward as the razor-sharp claws slashed at him.

Deanna held her head and sat up. She saw Snape running towards the gate harder than ever while Buckbeak screeched loudly and flapped his wings. Deanna stood up shakily and looked around for her wand. She hoped to find it quickly and catch up to Snape. But she knew it was too late.

Finally, Deanna found her wand, and she looked back, seeing Snape and Bellatrix Disapparate on the spot while Buckbeak circled the gates. She remembered Hagrid and whispered. "Ruby."

"Ruby!" Deanna yelled, stumbling towards the burning house. Right at that moment, Hagrid emerged from the flames while carrying Fang on his back. Feeling exhaustion, Deanna fell on her back, her entire body shaking and aching. She let out her tears due to the rollercoaster the night had been.

"Dee? Dee, yeh all righ'?" Hagrid asked worriedly. His eye was swelling and he had a cut on his cheek. "Speak ter me, Dee."

"I'm fine, Ruby." Deanna sat down. She felt Fang's body beside her and gave him a pat. "How about you?"

"'Course I am... take more'n that ter finish me. C'mere." Hagrid put his hands under Deanna's arms and raised her up gently. He set Deanna down on the ground.

"Thank you," said Deanna quietly. She raised her wand at the burning house. "We should put out the fire. Aguamenti."

"Ah, thank yer, Dee. Aguamenti." Hagrid raised an umbrella, and a jet of water flew out of the umbrella tip just as it did from Deanna's wand tip. Silently, the two of them poured water until the flames were put out.

"S'not too bad," said Hagrid hopefully a few minutes later, looking at the smoking wreck. "Nothin' Dumbledore won' be able to put righ'..."

Deanna closed her eyes and took in a deep breath. She was so focused on chasing after Snape that she forgot why she chased after him. It was like cold water was poured over her. As if she finally woke up from a tragic nightmare.

"Rubeus..."

"I was bindin' up a couple o' bowtruckle legs when I heard 'em comin'," said Hagrid sadly, still staring at his wrecked cabin. "They'll've bin burnt ter twigs, poor little things..."

"Rubeus..."

"But what happened, Deanna? I jus' saw them Death Eaters runnin' down from the castle, but what the ruddy hell was Snape doin' with 'em? Where's he gone — was he chasin' them?"

"He... Er..." Deanna tried steadying her shaking voice. "Ruby, he killed..."

"Killed?" said Hagrid loudly, staring down at Deanna. "Snape killed? What're yeh on abou', Dee?"

"Pops," said Deanna, closing her eyes to keep her tears at bay. She clenched her fists and kept her calm as much as she could but the way she was shaking and her voice was cracking was proving otherwise. "Snape killed... Pops."

Hagrid simply looked at her blankly. "Dumbledore wha', Deanna?"

"Pops is dead. Snape killed him..." Deanna repeated in a quiet voice. She did not want to say it. She did not want to admit the harsh reality waiting for her back in the school. "He did it, Ruby. I saw it."

"Yeh couldn' have."

"Damn it, Ruby." Deanna wiped away the lone tear that fell from her eye. "I told you I saw it. Harry and I were there."

Hagrid stared at her with pity before shaking his head. "What musta happened was, Dumbledore musta told Snape ter go with them Death Eaters. I suppose he's gotta keep his cover. Look, let's get yeh back up ter the school. Come on, Dee..."

Deanna wanted to shout at him. She wanted to just shout the truth at him so he could believe her, but it was Hagrid. She couldn't do that to her friend so she just kept quiet. He would find out soon. Her entire body shook as they started their way towards the castle. She just felt exhausted. Like the will to live was sucked out from her.

Deanna and Hagrid were near the castle where there were some people in gowns creeping out the steps, but Deanna stopped in her tracks not because of them. Her eyes were fixed at the foot of the tallest tower. She couldn't see anything yet due to the darkness, but just the thought of her father's body lying there was enough for her tears to come again. For her heart to break over and over again. The fact that people were beginning to move towards it was making Deanna feel that her suspicions were true.

"What're they all lookin' at?" said Hagrid, as they approached the castle front, Fang keeping close. "Wha's tha', lyin' on the grass?"

They started heading toward the foot of the Astronomy Tower, where a small crowd was congregating. "See it, Dee? Righ' at the foot o' the tower? Under where the Mark... Blimey... yeh don' think someone got thrown — ?"

Hagrid fell silent then. Deanna walked with him, she was aching all over but no physical pain. Not the Cruciatus Curse, not the Inferi's grips, nothing... Nothing could compare to the pain of losing a part of her. Nothing could compare to the pain of seeing Dumbledore fall slowly, gently over the edge.

Deanna and Hagrid moved through the murmuring crowd to the very front where there was a gap. Finally, she saw it. Her father's body. Deanna always hated the cold. She felt cold when she woke up after 50 years. She felt cold when she saw Voldemort kill Myrtle, but the cold she felt during those times had gone. They disappeared with time and with the help of the people around her, but this? This pain, this void left by Dumbledore's death was one that would never be filled. This coldness would be with her forever.

Hagrid stopped with a moan of pain and shock, but as if under a spell, Deanna couldn't. She walked slowly forward until she reached Dumbledore's body and crouched down beside him.

Deanna knew there was no hope when Dumbledore cast the full Body-Bind curse on them. She knew Snape could not bring him back even if she caught him, but nothing could ever prepare her for the sight of the strong and proud Albus Dumbledore looking broken.

To others, he may have been a Headmaster, he may have been a mentor, he may have been a friend. He may have been the greatest wizard of all time, but to Deanna, he was her father. Only to Deanna was he a father.

From how his limbs were angled, anyone could have thought he was simply sleeping. Deanna's tears fell slowly as she straightened Dumbledore's spectacles upon his crooked nose. She wiped a trickle of blood from his mouth with her sleeve. She gazed down at her father's face and stroked his hair. Never again could she feel her father's embrace, never again could she tell him she loved him, never again could her father breathe.

The crowd murmured behind Deanna. She realized after a long time that she was kneeling on something hard. She looked down and saw the locket had fallen out of Dumbledore's pocket. It was open and Deanna's heart started beating faster as she picked it up. The same feeling that something was wrong. It was that feeling once more.

Deanna turned the locket over in her hands. The locket was not as large as the one in the Pensieve and there were no markings upon it. No sign of the ornate mark of Slytherin. And there was nothing inside but for a scrap of folded parchment wedged tightly into the place where a portrait should have been.

Without another thought, Deanna pulled out the parchment and opened it.

To the Dark Lord I know I will be dead long before you read this but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match, you will be mortal once more.

R.A.B.

Deanna crumpled the parchment immediately. She did not care who R.A.B. was or what he wanted to say, but this... This locket Dumbledore risked his light for by drinking that potion. This locket was not a Horcrux. It was all for nothing. Fang gave a loud howl as Deanna leaned her forehead against Dumbledore's chest.

Deanna started shaking as a quiet sob came from her followed by another until she broke down into sobs. She did not shout or vent out her anger. She just rested her forehead against her father's chest, sobbing quietly... Losing hope, the will to live, losing everything. It broke the hearts of every person there whether you were friends with Deanna or not.

Minerva raised her shaking hand with her wand clenched in it, the tip pointed at the looming Dark Mark in the sky. A white light rose from the tip and soon, the single white light was joined with lights from the other students and staff. All, saying farewell to Albus Dumbledore.

A sudden warmth made Deanna look up. A familiar warmth. She saw Fawkes on Dumbledore's other side, letting out his tears on Dumbledore's chest and it made Deanna even more heartbroken than she already was. Fawkes was thinking her father was just sleeping or unconscious, and she had to say it once more, the tragic reality.

Deanna rested her forehead against Fawkes' and closed her eyes. She spoke in a broken whisper. "He's gone. He's gone, Fawkes and he needs your song to get his well-deserved rest. Can you do that for me?"

Fawkes gave a quiet cry and Deanna knew he understood what she said because his tears stopped at that moment. Deanna smiled weakly and stroked his feathers. "After your lament, come back. We'll have each other until the end."

Fawkes nuzzled Deanna's cheek and spread his wings, flying away and out of sight. Deanna looked back at her father and just hugged him, she just held on tight without a care of what the others would say. And nobody dared to tell her to move away. None of them had the courage to do so.

In front of them was once a strong and stubborn pair of father and daughter, but the memory of Deanna Dumbledore failing to hold in her cries as she held on tight to the broken figure of Albus Dumbledore would be a memory none of them would be able to forget.

"Dee..." Hagrid finally spoke up after a few moments, coming closer. He rested his trembling hand on Deanna's shoulder. Deanna simply shook her head and held on tighter.

"You can' stay here, Dee... Come on, now..."

"No, Ruby..." Deanna did not remove Hagrid's hand nor did she move from her spot. Her voice lowered into a whisper. She did not want to leave Dumbledore's side. She did not want to move. She needed more time with him.

Fate robbed them of time, much needed time to make up for the years they lost. The moment she got up, she would be accepting it. She would be accepting that she would have to live on without her father and she knew that moment would come soon, but she just wanted it to come later. She just needed more time.

"Deanna." A soft voice spoke up. Deanna looked behind and saw Harry with red eyes, it was clear he had just cried. He took Deanna's hand in his and Deanna's tears had threatened to leave her eyes once more. Harry understood what she was feeling. He was there with her, he saw how he died and felt the same pain she did. Maybe not as much pain but he was hurting with her.

"Come on." Harry gave her a tug, and Deanna, who felt numb then, followed him mindlessly. They walked back through the crowd and Harry was leading her into the castle. She could hears sobs and shouts and mutters all around. As they walked into the castle, people started whispering and staring at the two of them. Gryffindor rubies and Hufflepuff sapphires were glistening on the floor as they made their way toward the marble staircase.

"We're going to the hospital wing," said Harry.

Deanna stopped in her tracks. "But Pops –"

"He'll be fine, Dee, he'll be fine," said Harry gently. "It's McGonagall's orders. I heard from her everyone's up there, Hermione and Ron and Sirius and everyone —"

Deanna's eyes widened as she remembered the bodies on the floor. "Harry, who else is dead?"

"Don't worry, none of us."

"The Mark... And what Malfoy said about a body –"

"He stepped over Bill, but it's all right, he's alive."

Deanna frowned at his tone of voice as if there was something else he wasn't telling her. "How is he?"

"He's a — a bit of a mess, that's all. Greyback attacked him. Madam Pomfrey says he won't — won't look the same anymore..." Harry clenched his fists in anger, thinking of the countless victims that night.

"How about the others?" Deanna asked worriedly, thinking of one person.

"Neville and Professor Flitwick are both hurt, but Madam Pomfrey says they'll be all right. And a Death Eater's dead, he got hit by a Killing Curse that huge blond one was firing off everywhere — "

They had just reached the hospital wing. As they were about to enter, Deanna stopped Harry. "Harry. Snape... He's the Half-Blood Prince."

Harry stared at her for a moment, too shocked to speak, before whispering. "What? Are you sure?" Deanna nodded, and Harry just stared at her, trying to understand what was happening. After a few moments, he nodded and smiled at her as much as he could. "Let's not worry about that greasy git first, all right?"

Deanna gave another nod, and Harry pushed open the doors. Deanna saw Neville lying in a bed near the door. Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Luna, Tonks, Ria, Sirius and Remus were gathered around another bed near the end of the ward. At the sound of the doors opening, they looked up.

Deanna's face softened at the sight of Hermione, the Gryffindor ran towards her and gave her a tight hug. The Dumbledore blinked back the coming tears, and she rested her forehead on Hermione's shoulder for a moment. For the first time since Dumbledore's death, she felt a little warmth. The overwhelming cold was still there, but Hermione was warm just as she always was.

Hermione felt something was wrong but she just tightened her hold on Deanna, trying to help her girlfriend relax. As they couldn't talk yet because everyone was focused on Bill, she could only hope her touch could bring comfort to the Hufflepuff.

Sirius and Remus moved forward to them with anxious looks. Sirius looked over the two of them with worry. "Are you two all right?"

"Did you get cursed or jinxed?" asked Remus.

"We're fine. How's Bill?" Harry asked. Nobody answered. Still holding on to Hermione, Deanna lifted her head and saw Bill's face looking so mangled it was almost unrecognizable. Madam Pomfrey was dabbing at his wounds with some green ointment.

"Can't you fix them with a charm or something?" Harry asked the matron.

"No charm will work on these," said Madam Pomfrey. "I've tried everything I know, but there is no cure for werewolf bites."

"But he wasn't bitten at the full moon," said Ron, staring at Bill's face. "Greyback hadn't transformed, so surely Bill won't be a — a real — ?" He looked uncertainly at Remus.

"No, I don't think that Bill will be a true werewolf," said Remus, "but that does not mean that there won't be some contamination. Those are cursed wounds. They are unlikely ever to heal fully, and — and Bill might have some wolfish characteristics from now on."

"Dumbledore might know something that'd work, though," Ron said. "Where is he? Bill fought those maniacs on Dumbledore's orders, Dumbledore owes him, he can't leave him in this state —"

At the mention of Dumbledore, Deanna pulled away from Hermione's embrace which the Gryffindor noticed immediately. She frowned at Deanna's actions but did not say a word. Harry glanced at Deanna before cutting him off quietly. "Ron – Dumbledore's dead."

"No!" Remus shouted. He looked at Deanna, pleading with his eyes. Pleading that what Harry just said was not true. Deanna could feel how Hermione was staring at her from the side but she just looked down, not meeting anyone's gaze. Remus collapsed into a chair and Sirius rested a hand on his shoulder, the werewolf holding on to his hand.

Deanna could feel everyone's gaze on her. Pity and sadness and pain. She did not want it. She did not want them to look at her like that. She knew they all wanted to say sorry or words like that, but she did not want to hear it.

"How did he die?" whispered Tonks. "How did it happen?"

"Snape killed him," said Harry as he knew Deanna didn't want to speak about it. "We were there, we saw it. We arrived back on the Astronomy Tower because that's where the Mark was... Dumbledore was ill, he was weak, but I think he realized it was a trap when we heard footsteps running up the stairs."

"He immobilized us." Deanna continued on, all eyes falling on her once more.

Harry looked at her worriedly. "Deanna –"

"It's fine." Deanna managed to give him a weak smile and she felt a hand clasp hers tightly. She intertwined fingers with Hermione's warm hand and continued. "Pops immobilized us. We couldn't do anything under the Invisibility Cloak. Malfoy... He disarmed him and more Death Eaters came. And... And Snape – Snape cast it. The Killing Curse."

She couldn't say anything else. The moment of Dumbledore's death was playing in her mind on repeat and she just held onto Hermione's hand tighter as if it was the only thing that could make her live.

Hermione just let her and she wrapped an arm around Deanna, blinking back her own tears. She knew how Deanna was. She didn't want their looks of pity and sadness. She just wanted someone to be there. Just someone to hold her as she cried her heart out. And Hermione was that someone. She may not understand what she was feeling, but she would be there through it all.

There was only silence. Suddenly, Deanna held her hand to her head, worrying everybody there.

"Deanna?" Hermione asked with a worried look. At that same moment, Madam Pomfrey burst into tears, but nobody paid her any attention as they were all too worried for Deanna.

"His song." Deanna smiled bitterly. "Listen."

And everyone felt silent as a tune filled their ears. Somewhere in the darkness, there was a phoenix flying alone. A phoenix who was tied to Deanna, and he was doing as she told him to. For her father to rest comfortably, for her father to finally pass to the other life, they needed to bid farewell.

Fawkes' lament. It was terribly beautiful, grief was resounding in his song and was reaching out to every person in the Magical World. It was exactly what Deanna felt. And it was Fawkes' farewell to Dumbledore. Deanna knew she would see him again soon, but just like she did, he also needed time. Time to heal and rise again from the ashes of sorrow.

They stood there for a long time, just listening to the song. Somehow, their pain had eased a little due to the sound, and it felt like they've been listening for a long time before the doors opened again and there was Minerva and Pomona, the two of them having wounds all around their bodies and red eyes. The spell of the music was broken, and everyone seemed to snap out of their trances. Deanna could still feel it though. Fawkes' lament and grief. She understood now just how powerful her connection with Fawkes was.

"Oh, Dee." Pomona rushed forward and hugged Deanna tight. Deanna momentarily let go of Hermione's hand and hugged her friend back. She did not cry. She just felt empty, but still, she was grateful for her friends. For everyone.

Minerva joined the hug and whispered. "We are so sorry, dear."

Deanna pulled away from them and smiled though her smile did not reach her eyes. "It'll be all right. In time." The two professors just nodded though it did not ease their worries. They knew their friend. She would rather keep the pain in than actually being honest with her feelings. They could only rely on Hermione to open up Deanna's heart and be there for her through everything.

"Molly and Arthur are on their way," Minerva said. She looked at Deanna and Harry for a moment before hesitantly speaking. "Deanna, Harry, what happened? According to Hagrid you were with Professor Dumbledore when he — when it happened. He says Professor Snape was involved in some —"

"Snape killed Dumbledore," said Harry. Minerva and Pomona stared at him for a moment before staring at Deanna who nodded silently. Madam Pomfrey ran forward all of a sudden. She conjured a chair for Minerva and she was about to conjure another one for Pomona when the Herbology Professor shook her head.

"I'll be checking on the students first." Pomona patted Minerva's shoulder before turning to Deanna with a soft smile. "In time, Dee. In time." She gave Deanna's hand a squeeze before leaving the room. Deanna just held Hermione's hand again, silently asking for a little comfort and warmth, and Hermione intertwined their fingers once more, silently telling Deanna she would be there for her no matter what.

"Snape," repeated Minerva faintly, falling into the chair. "We all wondered... but he trusted... always... Snape... I can't believe it..."

"Snape was an accomplished Occlumens," said Ria in a harsh voice. "We always knew that."

"Dumbledore swore he was on our side!" whispered Tonks. "I always thought Dumbledore must know something about Snape that we didn't..."

"That batty git. He was never to be trusted anyways," muttered Sirius with clenched fists.

"He always hinted that he had an ironclad reason for trusting Snape," muttered Minerva, dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief. "I mean... with Snape's history... of course people were bound to wonder... but Dumbledore told me explicitly that Snape's repentance was absolutely genuine... Wouldn't hear a word against him!"

"I'd love to know what Snape told him to convince him," said Tonks.

"I know," said Harry, and they all turned to look at him. Even Deanna did not know the reason. "Snape passed Voldemort the information that made Voldemort hunt down my mum and dad. Then Snape told Dumbledore he hadn't realized what he was doing, he was really sorry he'd done it, sorry that they were dead."

"And Dumbledore believed that?" said Remus incredulously. "Dumbledore believed Snape was sorry James was dead? Snape hated James..."

"And he didn't think my mother was worth a damn either," said Harry, "because she was Muggle-born... 'Mudblood,' he called her..."

Sirius was about to slam his fist into the wall, but Remus quickly held his hands to calm him down. Sirius muttered once more under his breath. "That arse. He killed them. He killed them!"

Nobody spoke, but Deanna just gave Harry's hand a squeeze, understanding him. Both of them lost their parents due to Dark Wizards and Snape. Harry gave hers a tight squeeze back, thankful he had Deanna.

"This is all my fault," said Minerva suddenly. "My fault. I sent Filius to fetch Snape tonight, I actually sent for him to come and help us! If I hadn't alerted Snape to what was going on, he might never have joined forces with the Death Eaters. I don't think he knew they were there before Filius told him, I don't think he knew they were coming."

"You did not do anything wrong, Minnie," said Deanna quietly. "You only wanted assistance. None of us knew he was going to betray us." They all stared at her once more and she felt a little comfortable so she continued speaking, wanting to know more about what happened. "Did he join the Death Eaters when he arrived?"

"I don't know exactly how it happened," said Minerva distractedly. "It's all so confusing... Dumbledore had told us that he would be leaving the school for a few hours and that we were to patrol the corridors just in case... Sirius, Remus, Bill, Ria and Nymphadora were to join us... and so we patrolled. All seemed quiet. Every secret passageway out of the school was covered. We knew nobody could fly in. There were powerful enchantments on every entrance into the castle. I still don't know how the Death Eaters can possibly have entered..."

"I do," said Harry, and he explained, briefly, about the pair of Vanishing Cabinets and the magical pathway they formed. "So they got in through the Room of Requirement."

Deanna suddenly remembered what Harry asked Ron and Hermione to do and she glanced at the witch beside her who was looking devastated to Ron who looked at her with guilt.

"I messed up," said Ron bleakly. "We did like you told us: We checked the Marauder's Map and we couldn't see Malfoy on it, so we thought he must be in the Room of Requirement, so me, Ginny, and Neville went to keep watch on it... but Malfoy got past us."

"He came out of the room about an hour after we started keeping watch," said Ginny. "He was on his own, clutching that awful shriveled arm —"

"His Hand of Glory," said Ron. "Gives light only to the holder, remember?"

"Anyway," Ginny went on, "he must have been checking whether the coast was clear to let the Death Eaters out, because the moment he saw us he threw something into the air and it all went pitch-black —"

"— Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder," said Ron bitterly. "Fred and George's. I'm going to be having a word with them about who they let buy their products."

"We tried everything, Lumos, Incendio," said Ginny. "Nothing would penetrate the darkness; all we could do was grope our way out of the corridor again, and meanwhile we could hear people rushing past us. Obviously Malfoy could see because of that hand thing and was guiding them, but we didn't dare use any curses or anything in case we hit each other, and by the time we'd reached a corridor that was light, they'd gone."

"Luckily," said Ria hoarsely, "Ron, Ginny, and Neville ran into us almost immediately and told us what had happened. We found the Death Eaters minutes later, heading in the direction of the Astronomy Tower. Malfoy obviously hadn't expected more people to be on the watch; he seemed to have exhausted his supply of Darkness Powder, at any rate. A fight broke out, they scattered and we gave chase. One of them, Gibbon, broke away and headed up the tower stairs —"

"To set off the Mark?" asked Harry.

"He must have done, yes, they must have arranged that before they left the Room of Requirement," said Remus. "But I don't think Gibbon liked the idea of waiting up there alone for Dumbledore, because he came running back downstairs to rejoin the fight and was hit by a Killing Curse that just missed me."

"So if Ron was watching the Room of Requirement with Ginny and Neville," said Harry, turning to Hermione, "were you — ?"

"Outside Snape's office, yes," whispered Hermione, her eyes sparkling with tears, "with Luna. We hung around for ages outside it and nothing happened... We didn't know what was going on upstairs, Ron had taken the map... It was nearly midnight when Professor Flitwick came sprinting down into the dungeons. He was shouting about Death Eaters in the castle, I don't think he really registered that Luna and I were there at all, he just burst his way into Snape's office and we heard him saying that Snape had to go back with him and help and then we heard a loud thump and Snape came hurtling out of his room and he saw us and — and —"

"What?" Harry urged her.

"I was so stupid!" said Hermione in a high-pitched whisper. "He said Professor Flitwick had collapsed and that we should go and take care of him while he — while he went to help fight the Death Eaters —"

Deanna gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and smiled softly, the first genuine smile she made that night. That seemed to help Hermione relax and she continued on. "We went into his office to see if we could help Professor Flitwick and found him unconscious on the floor... and oh, it's so obvious now, Snape must have Stupefied Flitwick, but we didn't realize, we didn't realize, we just let Snape go!"

"It's not your fault," said Sirius firmly. "Hermione, had you not obeyed Snape and got out of the way, he probably would have killed you and Luna."

"So he went up," said Deanna, "and saw the battle..."

"We were in trouble, we were losing," said Tonks in a low voice. "Gibbon was down, but the rest of the Death Eaters seemed ready to fight to the death. Neville had been hurt, Bill had been savaged by Greyback... It was all dark... curses flying everywhere... The Malfoy boy had vanished, he must have slipped past, up the stairs... then more of them ran after him, but one of them blocked the stair behind them with some kind of curse... Neville ran at it and got thrown up into the air —"

"None of us could break through," said Ron, "and that massive Death Eater was still firing off jinxes all over the place, they were bouncing off the walls and barely missing us..."

"And then Snape was there," said Tonks, "and then he wasn't —"

"I saw him running toward us, but that huge Death Eater's jinx just missed me right afterward and I ducked and lost track of things," said Ginny.

"I saw him run straight through the cursed barrier as though it wasn't there," said Ria. "I tried to follow him, but was thrown back just like Neville..."

"He must have known a spell we didn't," whispered Minerva. "After all — he was the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... I just assumed that he was in a hurry to chase after the Death Eaters who'd escaped up to the tower..."

"He was," said Harry savagely, "but to help them, not to stop them... and I'll bet you had to have a Dark Mark to get through that barrier — so what happened when he came back down?"

"Well, the big Death Eater had just fired off a hex that caused half the ceiling to fall in, and also broke the curse blocking the stairs," said Sirius. "We all ran forward — those of us who were still standing anyway — and then Snape and the boy emerged out of the dust — obviously, none of us attacked them —"

"We just let them pass," said Tonks in a hollow voice. "We thought they were being chased by the Death Eaters — and next thing, the other Death Eaters and Greyback were back and we were fighting again — I thought I heard Snape shout something, but I don't know what —"

"He said, 'It's over," said Deanna in a small voice. "He finished his mission."

They all fell silent. Deanna could still feel and hear Fawkes' lament and she started thinking about Dumbledore. Where was his body? Was it alright? Was she going to handle his funeral? What about Aberforth? He didn't even get to make up with Dumbledore yet and he would never get the chance to do so.

Deanna clenched her fist, the one that was not holding on to Hermione's hand, around the fake Horcrux. The doors of the hospital wing burst open, and they all jumped. Arthur and Molly strode in with Fleur Delacour, Bill's fiancée behind them.

"Molly — Arthur —" said Minerva, standing up. "I am so sorry —"

"Bill," whispered Molly, darting past Minerva. "Oh, Bill!" Sirius, Remus, Ria and Tonks retreated to the side so that Arthur and Molly could come closer to him. Molly pressed her lips to his bloody forehead

"You said Greyback attacked him?" Arthur asked Minerva distractedly. "But he hadn't transformed? So what does that mean? What will happen to Bill?"

"We don't yet know," said Minerva, looking helplessly at Remus.

"There will probably be some contamination, Arthur," said Remus. "It is an odd case, possibly unique... We don't know what his behavior might be like when he awakens..." Molly took the ointment from Madam Pomfrey and began dabbing at Bill's wounds.

"And Dumbledore..." said Arthur, taking a glance at Deanna.. "Minerva, is it true... Is he really... ?"

As Minerva nodded, Deanna felt Hermione rub her thumb on the back of Deanna's hand, and she glanced at Hermione who was looking straight ahead at Fleur who gazed at Bill with terror.

"Dumbledore gone," whispered Arthur and he looked at Deanna with sadness. "I'm so sorry, Deanna." She just smiled once more. It was the only thing she could do at the moment. She felt too tired to talk.

Molly stood up for a moment and went to Deanna, patting her cheek gently with tears in her eyes. "I-I'm really sorry, Deanna dear."

"It's fine, Molly." Deanna motioned to Bill. "Just worry about Bill for tonight."

Overwhelmed with gratitude and worry, Molly's tears started falling and she sat back down beside Bill. "Of course, it doesn't matter how he looks... It's not r-really important... but he was a very handsome little b-boy... always very handsome... and he was g-going to be married!"

"And what do you mean by zat?" said Fleur suddenly and loudly. "What do you mean, ' 'e was going to be married?' "

Molly raised her tear-stained face, looking startled. "Well — only that —"

"You theenk Bill will not wish to marry me anymore?" demanded Fleur. "You theenk, because of these bites, he will not love me?"

"No, that's not what I —"

"Because 'e will!" said Fleur, standing up. "It would take more zan a werewolf to stop Bill loving me!"

"Well, yes, I'm sure," said Molly, "but I thought perhaps — given how — how he —"

"You thought I would not weesh to marry him? Or per'aps, you hoped?" said Fleur, her nostrils flaring. "What do I care how he looks? I am good-looking enough for both of us, I theenk! All these scars show is zat my husband is brave! And I shall do zat!" She took the ointment from Molly and started dabbing Bill's wounds.

No one spoke for the nth time, all waiting for Molly's explosion.

"Our Great-Auntie Muriel," said Mrs. Weasley after a long pause, "has a very beautiful tiara — goblin-made — which I am sure I could persuade her to lend you for the wedding. She is very fond of Bill, you know, and it would look lovely with your hair."

"Thank you," said Fleur stiffly. "I am sure zat will be lovely." And in a moment, Molly and Fleur were crying and hugging each other. Deanna couldn't help but smile genuinely though her heart ached a bit at her though. Her father would have loved to see it.

"Look!" said Tonks loudly, glaring at Ria who was trying her best to avoid her gaze. "She still wants to marry him despite what just happened! She doesn't care!"

"It's different," said Ria quietly, still avoiding Tonks's gaze. "I'm still a Muggleborn, I'll put –"

"But I don't care either, I don't care if you're a Muggleborn or a Pureblood or a bloody Vampire." said Tonks, grabbing the front of Ria's collar, tears in her eyes. "I've told you a million times..."

Deanna remembered what happened with Tonks and Ria before and it seemed like Ria was still trying to push Tonks away. She understood what Ria was thinking though. Being a Muggleborn was dangerous especially during this war. You'll put your loved ones in danger and end up being on the run.

"And I've told you a million times," said Ria, refusing to meet her eyes, staring at the floor, "that I am too weak for you... too dangerous...

"I've said all along you're taking a ridiculous line on this, Ria," said Molly while patting Fleur's back.

"I am not being ridiculous," said Ria steadily. "Tonks deserves somebody strong and whole."

"But she wants you," said Arthur with a small smile. "And after all, Ria, strong and whole people do not necessarily remain so." He gestured sadly at his son, lying between them.

"This is... not the moment to discuss it," said Ria, avoiding everybody's eyes as she looked around distractedly. "Dumbledore is dead..."

"Pops would have been happy for you..." said Deanna with a soft smile. "He would have been happy to know there are two less lonely people in this world." They all stared at her with smiles on their faces, her words giving comfort to them. Hermione had the widest smile on her face as she stared at Deanna. She knew the Hufflepuff was not yet alright, she was far from fine, but by the way she kept on holding to Hermione's hand, Hermione knew Deanna would be all right. In time.

The hospital doors opened again and Hagrid walked in, he was shaking with tears and held a handkerchief in his hand. He went directly to Deanna and spoke in a shaky voice. "I-I've done it Deanna. He's in a safe place now."

Deanna nodded gratefully, her heart feeling a little lighter at the thought that her father was resting well now. "Thank you, Ruby."

Hagrid turned to Minerva this time. "Professor Sprout's got the kids back in bed. Professor Flitwick's lyin' down, but he says he'll be all righ' in a jiffy, an' Professor Slughorn says the Ministry's bin informed."

"Thank you, Hagrid," said Minerva, standing up at once. "I shall have to see the Ministry when they get here. Hagrid, please tell the Heads of Houses — Slughorn can represent Slytherin — that I want to see them in my office forthwith. I would like you to join us too."

Hagrid gave Deanna a pat on the shoulder before he shuffled out of the room. She was grateful for him. At least, her father was safe now.

Minerva looked at her and Harry. "Before I meet them I would like a quick word with you, Dee, Harry. If you'll come with me..."

Deanna stood up and nodded to the others. She whispered to Hermione. "Thank you. For letting me hold your hand."

"You don't have to thank me," whispered Hermione back. "You can hold my hand anytime." Deanna smiled at her before moving out of the hospital wing with Harry and Minerva. There were no people at all and Deanna could still hear Fawkes's song that had resonated within her entire body.

Deanna realized that they were heading for the Headmaster's office and she swallowed the lump in her throat, the memories she had with Dumbledore hitting her like a train. Deanna remembered Minerva was Deputy Headmistress so it meant that the office was not Dumbledore's anymore. It was Minerva's. They moved in silence but she could notice how Minerva and Harry were glancing at her.

"Let's go in." Deanna said lightly, just like how her father spoke. The gargoyle had moved at once when he saw Deanna. Harry and Minerva looked at each other for a moment before following Deanna into the circular office. Deanna couldn't help feeling pain once more because the office remained just as they left it.

There were only a few differences. Fawkes's perch was empty as he still was still singing lament and there was no man sitting behind his table, half-moon spectacles upon his crooked nose and smiling widely with plates of hotdogs in hand. She noticed too, a new portrait in the portraits of the headmasters and headmistresses of Hogwarts.

Deanna's eyes softened when she looked at it. There was Dumbledore, slumbering in a golden frame over the desk, his half-moon spectacles perched upon his crooked nose, looking peaceful and untroubled.

Minerva glanced at the portrait and cleared her throat before looking at the two of them. "Deanna, Harry, I would like to know what you and Professor Dumbledore were doing this evening when you left the school."

"We can't tell you that, Professor," said Harry.

When Minerva turned to her, Deanna just smiled and shook her head. She made a promise to Dumbledore, and what he entrusted to them would only stay with them, Hermione and Ron.

"It might be important," said Minerva.

"It is," said Harry, "very, but he didn't want me to tell anyone."

Minerva glared at him. "Potter, in the light of Professor Dumbledore's death, I think you must see that the situation has changed somewhat —"

"Listen, Minerva," said Deanna, crossing her arms. "Pops told us to follow his orders. We'll kept our word until the end."

"But —"

"And before the Ministry comes," Deanna cut her off, speaking in a firm tone. "Malfoy cast the Imperius Curse on Madam Rosmerta. She helped them with the necklace and the mead –"

"Rosmerta?" said Minerva incredulously, but there was a knock on the door and Pomona, Hagrid, Slughorn and Flitwick came in, the half-giant still weeping.

"Miss Dumbledore, we're so sorry." Flitwick said sadly.

"Deanna, dear..." Slughorn who looked so pale shook his head. "I'm sorry."

This was what Deanna hated the most. Their pitiful gazes and their apologies. But before she could say a word, Pomona spoke up. "Give her some space. She's been through too much already."

Deanna smiled at her friend gratefully, knowing Pomona understood that was not what she wanted now.

"Snape!" shouted Slughorn. "Snape! I taught him! I thought I knew him!"

Before anyone else could speak, one of the portraits spoke, a wizard coming back into his portrait. "Minerva, the Minister will be here within seconds, he has just Disapparated from the Ministry."

"Thank you, Everard," said Minerva, and she turned quickly to her teachers. "I want to talk about what happens to Hogwarts before he gets here. Personally, I am not convinced that the school should reopen next year. The death of the headmaster at the hands of one of our colleagues is a terrible stain upon Hogwarts's history. It is horrible."

"I am sure Dumbledore would have wanted the school to remain open," said Pomona. "I feel that if a single pupil wants to come, then the school ought to remain open for that pupil."

"But will we have a single pupil after this?" said Slughorn. "Parents will want to keep their children at home and I can't say I blame them. Personally, I don't think we're in more danger at Hogwarts than we are anywhere else, but you can't expect mothers to think like that. They'll want to keep their families together, it's only natural."

"I agree," said Minerva. "And in any case, it is not true to say that Dumbledore never envisaged a situation in which Hogwarts might close. When the Chamber of Secrets reopened he considered the closure of the school — and I must say that Professor Dumbledore's murder is more disturbing to me than the idea of Slytherin's monster living undetected in the bowels of the castle..."

"We must consult the governors," said Professor Flitwick. "We must follow the established procedures. A decision should not be made hastily."

"Hagrid, you haven't said anything," said Minerva. "What are your views, ought Hogwarts to remain open?"

Hagrid, who was weeping silently, croaked, "I dunno, Professor... that's fer the Heads of House an' the headmistress ter decide..."

"Professor Dumbledore always valued your views," said Minerva kindly, "and so do I."

"Well, I'm stayin'," said Hagrid, his tears trickling into his beard. "It's me home, it's bin me home since I was thirteen. An' if there's kids who wan' me ter teach 'em, I'll do it. But... I dunno... Hogwarts without Dumbledore..." He gulped and disappeared behind his handkerchief once more, and there was silence.

"Very well," said Minerva, glancing out of the window at the grounds, "then I must agree with Filius that the right thing to do is to consult the governors, who will make the final decision. Now, as to getting students home... there is an argument for doing it sooner rather than later. We could arrange for the Hogwarts Express to come tomorrow if necessary —"

"What about Pops' funeral?" asked Deanna, speaking at last. Everyone fell silent, looking at her and feeling a little guilty. There they were, discussing the school's status, worrying about weddings and relationships when there was just a young girl who had lost her father.

Minerva's eyes softened as she looked at Deanna. "Well... I — I know that it was Dumbledore's wish to be laid to rest —"

"Here at Hogwarts." Deanna finished quietly.

"Then that's what'll happen, isn't it?" said Harry fiercely.

"If the Ministry thinks it appropriate," said Minerva. "No other headmaster or headmistress has ever been —"

"No other headmaster or headmistress ever gave more to this school," growled Hagrid.

"Hogwarts should be Dumbledore's final resting place," said Professor Flitwick.

"Absolutely," said Pomona.

"Then, give the students a chance to attend the funeral," said Deanna. "They'll want to say –" Deanna looked down, not wanting to finish her sentence.

"Good-bye." Pomona completed the sentence for her.

"Well said," squeaked Professor Flitwick. "Well said indeed! Our students should pay tribute, it is fitting. We can arrange transport home afterward."

"Seconded," barked Pomona.

"I suppose... yes..." said Slughorn in a rather agitated voice, while Hagrid let out a strangled sob of assent.

"He's coming," said Minerva suddenly, gazing down into the grounds. "The Minister... and by the looks of it, he's brought a delegation..."

"Can I leave, Professor?" said Harry immediately.

"You may," said Minerva. "And quickly." She opened the door and she was about to tell Deanna to leave too when she saw the Hufflepuff staring at Dumbledore's portrait. She exchanged glances with the other Professors and nodded. Harry stopped at the door, waiting for Deanna to come with him when Minerva motioned him to go. With one last glance at Deanna, Harry left the office.

Deanna turned to the Professors. "I'll be going now –"

"Stay, Dee." Minerva said, holding Deanna's hands with a soft look. "We'll meet him in our office so stay here. As long as you want. We'll give you space."

Deanna looked around at them with surprise and emotion. She smiled softly and nodded. "Thank you, Professors."

"Good night, Miss Dumbledore," said Flitwick.

"Here, Deanna." Slughorn took out a potion from his pocket. Deanna identified it as the Potion for Dreamless Sleep. Deanna took it from him with a smile of gratitude.

"Take a good rest, Dee." Hagrid gave Deanna a tight hug.

"We're here for you all the way, love." Pomona hugged her as well.

"Deanna, before you go up to your room, can you wait here for a while?" Minerva asked. Deanna felt confused at the sudden request but just nodded. Minerva smiled at her before leaving with the rest of the Professors.

Now, she was alone. Alone with only her thoughts and emotions. Sinking down on the couch, Deanna held a hand to her head that suddenly hurt. She felt a sudden coldness come over her and realized Fawkes had stopped singing. He had gone away from Hogwarts to be alone just like how Deanna was at that moment.

From what they experienced in the cave to Snape's betrayal to Dumbledore's death, Deanna just felt so exhausted and cold, and the locket in her pocket just made her realize they didn't gain anything tonight. They only lost and lost and lost. They lost allies, trust and a life.

A knock on the door made Deanna stand up, and she realized Minerva was back. She went over to the door slowly and opened it, but she was shocked to see not Minerva but Hermione there. Hermione smiled at her, and Deanna could not see pity or sadness in her eyes, only warmth... Only love.

"Mione." Deanna managed to whisper out.

Hermione stepped into the office and cupped Deanna's face, wiping away the tears that fell from her eyes without her noticing. "I'm sorry it took me too long to talk to you, but I'm here, love. Do anything you want. Cry or shout or sleep, I'll be with you through it all."

Those words were enough to make Deanna break down into sobs and she wrapped her arms around Hermione tightly, holding on as if letting go would make Hermione disappear. She cried her heart out for the first time that night, not restraining her sobs or wiping her tears away to hide her vulnerability. Just letting it all out.

Hermione was feeling pain as well. From the moment Deanna came into the Hospital Wing quietly, she knew something had happened. And when they said Dumbledore was dead, Hermione felt her own heart breaking for Deanna who was trying to keep her calm in the Hospital Wing by holding Hermione's hand.

And Hermione also knew, Deanna may say she wanted to be alone, but she still needed someone to be there for her. Luckily, Professor McGonagall found her at the right moment and told her to be with Deanna for now. She did not have any expectations as she went up. She thought Deanna would tell her to leave her alone, but to her surprise, Deanna opened up to her and it made Hermione feel everything would be all right in time.

Deanna wiped her tears away and looked at Hermione. "Can you stay with me tonight?"

"I'll stay with you for as long as you want me to." Hermione kissed Deanna on the forehead and wiped away Deanna's remaining tears. "Now, come on." She gave Deanna's hand a tug and led her upstairs to the Hufflepuff's room with the wallpaper of phoenixes. She noticed how Deanna looked around with sadness in her eyes.

"We don't have to –"

"I have a lot of memories with him here." Deanna looked around with a reminiscent smile. "And with you... You remember the first time you went here?"

"How could I forget?" Hermione smiled softly at the memory. "The time we were about to kiss, but Fawkes just had to interrupt us."

Deanna laughed genuinely. "Yeah..." She looked down and blinked away her tears. "Pops always knew. He always knew we'd be together in the end, and he always supported me. He loved the thought of us together." She looked at Hermione this time with a warm smile. "I'm glad he got to see us together even it was just for a while."

"He'll be watching us still from up there." Hermione caressed Deanna's cheek, making the latter close her eyes at the warm touch. "He'll be watching when we get married and have children. So we'll stay strong, love. We'll stay together and strong. Always."

"I'll hold onto that." Deanna whispered.

Hermione kissed her on the forehead again before starting to lead Deanna to the bed. "Come now, it's time for you to rest." Hermione peeled the covers back and let Deanna come in first before following after her. None of them changed their clothes, both feeling too exhausted to do so. Hermione took up the Potion for Dreamless Sleep that Deanna got from Slughorn and gave it to Deanna.

"Drink up, Deanna." Hermione said gently. "You need to have a good rest."

Deanna nodded and drank the potion in one shot. She felt the Potion taking effect immediately and she scooted closer to Hermione, burying her face into Hermione's chest and muttering sleepily. "Will you stay with me until the end?"

"I promise." Hermione whispered with a small smile though she was feeling broken inside that Deanna was in so much pain that she thought they'd all leave her in the end.

Deanna smiled in contentment against Hermione's neck. "Then, I'll be fine." And with that, she closed her eyes and drifted off into the darkness. Just for tonight, a sleep where she felt only warmth. And it was all thanks to the Gryffindor beside her.

Hermione watched for a few moments, she just watched Deanna and wondered. How long would it take until Deanna could smile again? How long would it take until the permanent scar on Deanna's heart could heal a little? She didn't know. She didn't know how long it would be, but what she knew was she would be there for Deanna through everything.

And with one final thought, Hermione too closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep, holding Deanna in her arms.

'Professor, that's a promise. I'll love and stay with her. Always.'

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

105K 3.1K 22
After the death of her father Anna has changed. She starts to learn about the power Voldemort has told her about. Her powers grow stronger if possibl...
305K 8.6K 42
In which a Weasley falls in love with the daughter of a supposedly wanted mass murderer. "𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐢�...
56.4K 1.5K 69
(I recommend you don't read unless you want to cringe) this is the story of emily black. her choices, her love, father, deaths, friends, life after H...
20.3K 445 14
Her third year at Hogwarts didn't start well for (Y/N) Hydra. A mass murderer broke out of Azkaban to come after her and one of her friends. She ran...