Ethereal ◆ Shoto Todoroki x R...

By carlyandcarson33

The perfect princess, soon to be the perfect ruler. It is your duty to find a husband and be a good queen. Y... More

1 | For the Kingdom
2 | A Good Queen
3 | Let the Party Begin
4 | Not Again
5 | Nightmare
6 | Goodbye
7 | Smile and Nod
8 | Closer
9 | The Past
10 | The Plan
11 | Playing Pretend
12 | The Royal Line Retold
13 | They Would Do Anything
14 | Purple is for Royals
15 | I'm not Pretending
16 | Ashes
17 | Warmth
18 | The City of Ash
19 | Done.
20 | Dangerous
20.5 | Not Alone (2k reads special)
21 | Please
22 | Pieces of a Bigger Puzzle
23 | Relax
24 | Change
25 | Allies
26 | Something to Him
27 | Explanations and Complications
28 | Awakened
29 | Tears
29.5 | Fears
30 | Questions
31 | Poison
32 | Denial
33 | Regret
34 | Betrayed
35 | Safe
36 | Leap
36.5 | Angel
Q&A and Poll
37 | Try or Die
38 | Proposal
39 | I'm Fine
40 | Save Me
41 | An Order
sneak peek + things
42 | Control
43 | Useless
43.5 | Relatives
44 | One Week Later
45 | Diary
46 | Memories
47 | Smile
48 | Not So Quirkless
a quick thank you
48.5 | The Prince's Question
49 | Fake Love & Forced Smiles
49.5 | Kill My Family
◆ Character Profiles ◆
50 | Secrets
51 | Scandalous
51.5 | One by One
52 | A Single Bean
53 | Temper
53.5 | Go Down in Flames
Ethereal's first fanart <3
54 | Blue Flames
54.5 | Together
55 | Watch it Burn
55.5 | Escape
56.5 | Advisors
57 | Life by Lightning
57.5 | Justice
Epilogue
Author's Note
Part 2 Preview | Requiem
The Blind King
Gone
Entry 1
The Beginning of the End
Entry 2
Trust Yourself
Entry 3
Not a Goodbye
Entry 4
Still With You
Entry 5
What if
Promise
The Future
I Want It
Entry 6
A Final Goodbye
Good News
Spread the News
Overseas
Plus Ultra
Falcon
Return
Not Again
Bloodline
Shard
Not Today
The Dead King's Heir
A Coward's Son
An Arrogant Prince
5 days later (200k reads special)
The Reveal
Names!
Decision
Guillotine
Traitor
Just a Queen
Compromise
For the Future
Sacrifice
Alive
5 years later
I Love You
Forever.
Author's Note
Many Years Ago (16k votes special)

56 | Help

6.3K 309 170
By carlyandcarson33

The king is talking with the advisors. You're not sure what they're going to say. How will they handle this? You don't want to think about it.

You've focused your mind on helping the injured, since some of the maids need assistance. You seek out Neena, who you haven't seen in a long time. 

She welcomes you with open arms. "You have no idea how nice it is to have some extra help, especially in times like these."

You smile. "I'm glad to help."

Neena sighs, looking you up and down. "Hon, don't take this the wrong way, but you should probably change."

You look down at your clothes. Your tight dress is covered in ash and is, if even possible, even more uncomfortable than before.

You blush in embarrassment. "You're right."

Neena turns around, leading you to a pile of things salvaged from the fire. Boxes are piled on each other, and clothes, rags, and medical supplies are nearby.

"Thankfully," Neena starts, "the S.O.B. was able to get some things before they burned. I also heard that the Commander sent a team to get supplies from the southern territory."

"What's sob?" You ask.

"No, it's S.O.B.," Neena laughs, handing you some clothes, "it's what we call the Smother them Out Brigade."

"Thank you," you say as you take the clothes, "but how come I've never heard of them?"

"They're sort of a Todoroki palace secret," the maid explains, "some of the most elite guards, trained to smother from the shadows. Of course they mainly focus on putting out fires and such, for occasions like this. You'd be surprised how much the Kingdom of Flame catches on fire."

"Smother from the shadows?" You smile. "Like spies?"

"Like spies," she winks. "Now you should probably put those clothes on before you wake the dead."

At first you're confused, but when you look around, all of the injured soldiers have stopped treating their wounds and are looking at you. You blush, hurrying out to change.

The clothes are baggy and similar to a commoner's, and they remind you of the time you did yoga with Shoto in the courtyard. 

It feels like it happened a million years ago.

You sigh, heading over to Neena once again. She smiles, pleased with your appearance. "That's much better! Now let's stitch up these poor fellas."

She leads you to a soldier sitting on a mat, and he immediately smiles at the sight of her. 

"Hello there, Kenji," Neena smiles, setting down a bowl of water beside him, "now, please take off your shirt and show me the worst of it."

You suppress a blush at her words, and wonder how she could be so unaffected. Then you remember her relationship with Mayra, and instead turn your focus to the guard before you.

You cringe at the sight of the gash on his stomach, but Neena doesn't bat an eye. "Oh, dear. Thankfully it's not deep or you'd probably be dead right about now."

You watch as Neena carefully wipes the dried blood with a wet rag, and you suddenly understand why she's so popular. Her smile could light up the darkest of days.

"Could you fetch me some bandages?" Neena asks you, putting pressure on the wound. 

You nod, glad to finally be of use. You leave the tent, heading behind it to the pile of items from the palace. 

You sift through the clothes, food, and tons of other items until you find what you're looking for. You grab the bandages, and right before you get up to leave, you hear a groan.

You're near the area were Izuku broke a tree a few days ago, which is out of sight from everyone. You jerk your head up, preparing to defend yourself in whatever way possible.

Your heart starts to beat erratically when you hear a voice. It's strained; most definitely in pain.

"Help."

You flick your eyes around until they land on a figure limping towards you.

Your heart drops. "H-Hiro?"

He's covered in what seems to be ash and probably blood, and his ankle looks twisted at a strange angle. He's dragging a body behind him, but you pay no attention to it.

Instead, you look at your brother's face.

His once dark eyes are a ghostly white, as if glazed over. Red veins crawl over the surface and his pupil is barely visible.

Before you get a chance to move, Hiro falls to the ground.

Hiro's in the medical tent, and you're sticking by his side. 

His eyes are closed and he's mumbling to himself, as if he's having a nightmare. 

"It burns," he whispers, "it burns."

Neena flushed out his eyes and treated his wounds before laying him down. 

"Burned corneas," she had told you, "and a twisted up ankle. It's not looking good for him, but he won't die."

You sigh, putting your head in your hands. He's alive. He's alive.

You suddenly remember the body he dragged behind him. It's face was so mangled it was unidentifiable, but Hiro seemed insistent on taking it. It was moved to a separate tent for identification. 

He's always been one to self sacrifice. He's a hero, hence his given name. You remember how you used to play with him as a kid, and he would save you from all sorts of disasters.

You hold your brother's hand gently. Your hero. 

He clasps his hand around yours, and you tear up at the gesture. "Get some rest," you tell him, "you have to get well, okay?"

Hiro ignores your comment, and you wonder if he even heard you at all. "T . . . Takahashi . . ."

You suck in a breath. Takahashi. 

"He ran into the hall before the fire started," you explain to your brother, "I haven't seen him, but I'm sure he's okay."

"N-no." Hiro says weakly, "No. Not okay. He was . . .He was in the fi-"

Hiro coughs, but he doesn't have to finish his sentence. It hits you. 

It hits you harder than anything has ever hit you in your life. The body Hiro was dragging. 

It was Takahashi.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 173 15
It's been about 6 years since you've left Japan because your father scored an official hero job in America. Now, thanks to your uncle, you are return...
65.6K 1.4K 38
𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕒𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕠𝕗 𝕒 𝕥𝕖𝕣𝕣𝕚𝕓𝕝𝕖 𝕞𝕒𝕟. 𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣𝕪𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕤𝕖𝕖𝕤 𝕙𝕚𝕞 𝕒𝕤 𝕒 𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕠. 𝕒 𝕝𝕠𝕧𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕕𝕒𝕕. 𝕪�...
6.7K 209 15
"𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐤 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐤 𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞." where y/n finds herself as the personal assistant of an overwo...
19.7K 679 17
"If you love someone, you dont hesitation to push the person away, if it meant they were happy." Marriage is often described in books and movies as "...