6 | Goodbye

"It could be worse," Hiro says to you, trying to cheer you up, "You could've had to marry that Katsuki boy. He looked like a real piece of work."

You laugh, despite being nervous.

You and Hiro are sitting on your bed, trying to avoid the inevitable chaos. The Todorokis are spending the night at the Mizukis' Palace.

"Hiro, I've never spoken to the guy!" You say, "I even avoided him at the party because of his father! It's so embarrassing."

You're embarrassed. And scared, and nervous, and...

Hiro stands up. "Let's go meet him, then. He can't be that bad. He was fairly quiet at the party."

You sigh and reluctantly follow him to the dining hall, where no doubt everyone has been waiting for you two.

The room is quiet when you enter, and both kings are sitting on each end of the rectangular table.

Hiro smirks at you as you make your way to the prince.

You bow to him, avoiding his gaze, and introduce yourself.

"I am princess Mizuki. Pleased to meet you, your Highness."

He looks you up and down and nods. "Call me Shoto."

You sit down beside him, and you can feel your cheeks grow warm.

Why am I blushing?

He seems polite enough, and he's not bad looking- 

"SO!" Your father says, almost yelling, "Let us chat while the food is served!"

Maids start to bring in trays upon trays, and the food seems endless.

"Itadakimasu!"

You don't want to eat, but you do anyways. 

You feel numb, because you've just realized, after tonight...

...you're going to live with the Todorokis.

You managed to slip away, retreating to your favorite place; the castle garden.

It's pretty late, so the sky is dark, but full of stars. It'll be your last time seeing it, at least for a while. You wonder if they will let you visit.

You 'belong' to them now. You'll be a Todoroki soon, and there's nothing you can do. You knew you'd get married someday, but an arranged marriage? 

You sigh.

Dinner was nice, delicious as always, but it was awkward. They only people who talked were the two kings, and only to each other.

You sit down on the bench near the entrance, the flowers and calm chirping of crickets making you sad. You probably won't come back in a long time.

You close your eyes, only getting a few seconds of peace.

"Princess Mizuki," a familiar voice says.

You turn your head, greeted by Shoto's calming presence. 

"Yes?" You say, wanting him to continue.

"I am not sure where we stand," he says, "but you are my fiancee, whether I like it or not."

That's right. He probably doesn't want to marry me either.

"I'm sorry," you say. "I am aware that you were forced into this marriage also. At least, that's what I assume."

"You assumed correct, princess." He sighs. "My father did the bidding, not me."

He sits beside you, heat radiating off his right side. 

You both sit in silence, indulging in the beauty of the garden, preparing yourselves for the changes that will soon occur.

And then, morning comes. 

...and it's time to say goodbye.

"I love you, okay?" Hiro whispers, his voice quivering. "Don't be sad. It's fine."

"Hiro, are you trying to make me feel better," you ask, "or are you trying to convince yourself that it'll be fine?"

He lets go of you, and softly chuckles. "Maybe a little bit of both."

You're saying goodbye. 

To your family, the maids and other palace staff, to your home. You spent most of your life in this castle. The garden.

A good queen doesn't show her disappointment. 

You smile, pretending to be happy about leaving. 

Hiro bows, as does your father.

The formality is sickening. 

You want to hug them more, cry even. But you can't. That would be disrespectful to your new 'family'.

You bow, in sync with Shoto and King Todoroki.

"Goodbye," you say to them. 

"Goodbye."

King Todoroki climbs in the carriage, Shoto behind him.

Shoto turns around offering you a hand. 

You take it, and he pulls you up, sitting you next to him.

You look out of the window and watch as Hiro and Father go back inside the palace, not looking back.

Don't be sad. It's fine.

The carriage starts to move, jolting forward and taking you away. 

Away from the only real home you've ever known.

Goodbye. You silently say farewell.

Until next time.

A/N: Thanks to @tothemoon002 for voting on all chapters! Thank you for reading!! It means so much to me!

-Carly