The Beginning of the End

Part 2: Chapter 3 ◆

The Beginning of the End

You let Takahashi keep the diary. You're not sure you want to read it. Not after everything. It feels like . . . you shouldn't be able to. Like it's your fault, although you know that's not it. Hitoka made her own choices. 

It's not your fault, but a small part of your brain thinks it is. Another part, however, also knows that it's just your past working into now, your father's ideals planted in your brain, fighting to survive.

You won't let them.

You take a deep breath, exhaling slowly. 

"Are you okay?" Shoto asks, furrowing his brows. You smile at him.

"Yes," you reply, "just thinking. Things change so fast."

"Indeed they do," Shoto grins, "and here we are, planning for our wedding."

Since the wedding was post-poned due to the fire, it's been moved to a later date in a secret location. Nobody, excluding a few guards and other royals, know where it's going to take place. For security reasons, of course. 

Not much has to be done, but the location is to be prepared and tidied up. It makes you wonder where it could be; what place would need to be fixed to such a degree?

Honestly it's kind of exciting. You've always liked knowing what's going to happen, having a plan, but this is a good surprise for once. It's okay to not know things, sometimes, you've learned.

You clutch Shoto's hand, something you've found yourself doing more often. There's something comforting in his touch, like back when he was the cure to whatever was wrong with you. You're still not sure, although you hope it doesn't come back.

"I kind of want to invite some of the advisors," you say shyly, "like Sobakasu. I've found myself growing fond of the little freckled know-it-all."

"What about Hiro?"

"Of course Hiro too, silly," you laugh, adding his name. "and I want to invite the Yaoyorozus as well."

"I think we should invite everyone that was at the fire," Shoto suggests, "as sort of compensation, you know?"

You smile. "That's a good idea."

You can't help but think of the food fight that day. It was nice to hang around some others who understood you, to some extent.

"Takahashi must come, too," you add, heart heavy for him, "oh, and that guard that saved his life that day. I want him to be there, as a thank you. Maybe he could bring a friend or two."

Shoto smiles, nodding. "Anyone else to add?"

"I think that's it!"

The list of people to be invited to your wedding; of people you've met on your journey. The list of people you trust the most, and to some you owe favors.

The list that signifies the beginning of your future.

It signifies the beginning of the end.

You walk through the palace, heading to the medical wing for your appointment with Dr. Aiya, your quirk therapist. After you almost killed King Todoroki a long time ago, and then saved the prince's life, people said that you could possibly save more lives, or become a weapon and help win wars.

So you were asked if you wanted Quirk Therapy; it's similar to physical therapy, but with the purpose of enhancing a quirk and helping the holder control it.

You didn't see any harm in trying, although you had in the past already. Maybe it will work this time.

 You could save lives, but only at the expense of your own.

You knock on the door, your new personal guard trailing behind you. He's rather quiet, and doesn't speak much, although you don't hate him. He does his job.

"Your Highness," Dr. Aiya says, "good evening."

You smile. Dr. Aiya is a tall and slender woman, with glasses that make her eyes look twice as large as they really are. She's not ugly, but she gives off an 'I'm better than you' vibe, which probably scares off  most people.

"A good evening to you too," you smile, sitting down on a cushioned chair. She sits in front of you, holding a potted plant.

It gives you flashbacks of way-back-when, to the party your father threw to sell you. Everything's changed so much since then.

"Since the last time you've used your quirk was on the prince, I'm sure it might be a little hard for you to use it again," Dr. Aiya explains, "but, I feel like you've made significant progress since then. If you're not ready, you may decline, but I personally think you can take on the challenge."

She holds out the plant, handing it to you. 

It reminds you of that time. The plant your father handed you. That he told you to kill. That you did  kill, passing out afterwards.

But instead of demanding you, forcing you like your father did, Dr. Aiya actually looks at you like a person. "Are you okay?"

You take a deep breath, nodding. "I'm okay. I can do it."

You close your eyes and activate your quirk, careful to remember everything that she's taught you. 

"Your quirk is a part of you, not something that can be contained. It doesn't have to be contained."

"Embrace it. Feel yourself in your power."

"Don't become lost in it, however, keep your eyes open. Focus on the world around you."

You open your eyes, taking in your surroundings. The plant you're holding. Dr. Aiya, leaning forward in her seat, unafraid of you and your power. The room, with it's crimson wallpaper and pictures on the walls.

"Choose a target. Lock on. Release."

Choose a target. You look at the plant in your lap. 

Lock on. You stare down at it, focusing on the green of its leaves and the curve of its stem.

It is alive. Flowing through this plant is life. Flowing through you is life. Power. You are power. You are life.

Release.