8 | Closer

"T-Takahashi?" You ask your personal guard.

You pretend to be nervous, like a love-struck newlywed.

"Yes, your Highness?" He bows in a silly fashion, making you giggle.

"Might I ask where," you clear your throat, "my fiance's room is?"

"Oh, why of course," he smiles, "right this way, m'lady."

You follow him down the corridor, only stopping a few doors down.

"Here it is. I'll wait out here to escort you back to your room," He winks.

"Thank you," you say. 

You knock on the door, unconsciously using the same knock you and Hiro use.

"It's princess Mizuki."

 You hear a pause, then a quiet answer: "Come in."

You enter, pushing the door open slowly.

The room is large, bigger than yours, with a huge bed and windows along one wall. It's simple, as it doesn't have much decorations, but it is grand.

Fit for a king and his queen.

"O-oh, I'm sorry if I interrupted something, your Highness. I was just wondering if-"

Shoto holds up his hand, and you stop. 

"Please don't use that facade on me. And it's Shoto." He says, almost emotionless.

You blink. How could he tell?

You sigh and sit in the chair next to him.

"Sorry. I just don't know what to do about all this." You apologize. And it's true, you're stuck.

"Just do what you've been doing," Shoto says, "Lie."

Lie.

"I don't want to lie to you," you admit. You're tired of lying.

"Fine, then. Tell me, what does your father want?"

His question surprises you. What does Father want?

"Well," you start, "he wants to show the other kingdoms we are still strong. At least, that's what he told me."

Shoto nods.

"But I don't think he was telling the truth," you add. Now that you think about it, how would this make your kingdom seem strong? What is the point?

"My father," Shoto says, "wants your quirk."

"What? And how will he get it?" You ask.

"Well, as you know, quirks can be passed down through genetics, a child either getting one of the parents' quirks' or a mixture of the two."

You think you know what he's trying to say.

"And he's sure that if we have a child," he looks away from you, "that they will get a mixture of our quirks, making them extremely powerful, and under his control."

You're stunned. You knew there was something fishy about all this, but quirk breeding? This is basically a quirk marriage. 

"Of course he won't start to hint at it until after the wedding, but just be prepared," Shoto adds, meeting your eyes once again.

Did your father know about this? Is that why he was so eager to get rid of you?

Does Hiro know?

It's too much. You can feel tears start to form.

First I was sold like cattle, now I'm going to be forced to breed just because of my quirk.