31 | Poison

"Shoto?"

You lean up, groaning. Your head feels like it's on fire. 

You're laying in your bed, Shoto sitting on the edge beside you. You blush.

"What happened?" You ask.

"You fainted," the prince says, worry lacing his voice, "The doctor said something about. . ."

"Poison," you finish for him.

He nods. 

You realize your hand is in his, which only makes you blush more. 

"I thought. . ." Shoto sighs, "I thought I was going to lose you. Just like my father."

You're silent.

"When I found you passed out in the hall," he continues, "I didn't know what to think. I thought. . ."

"Hey," you whisper, leaning up on your elbows to face him, "I'm right here. You haven't lost me or the king. And I'm not sure why, but I think I know who did this. Before I passed out-"

"Wait," he stops you, "can we just stay like this? Just a little longer?"

You smile, cheeks pink, and hug him. He's warm, and you can feel his heartbeat against yours.

"It's my fault," he says in your embrace, "I should've been there with you."

You hug him tighter. "Shoto," you laugh, "stop saying that. It's not your fault. It was Hitoka."

He pulls away from you, but you silently wish he hadn't. "Hitoka?" He asks.

You nod. "Before I was going to meet you, I went to visit Hitoka. We talked and had tea together. It must've been her; it wouldn't make sense otherwise."

"Do you think she poisoned my father too?" Shoto inquires, eyebrows furrowed in thought.

"I'm not sure," you say, "but something tells me she didn't. It's just a gut feeling, but it's all we have."

"But wait," Shoto stops you, "If it was Hitoka, wouldn't she have tried to kill you? The doctor said it was more of a sleep inducing potion, but not even a secure dose. Just enough to cause headaches and fainting."

I hadn't thought of that.

"You're right," you sigh, "It just doesn't make sense. There's something else going on."

Your head suddenly stings, pain flying through your veins. You cry out, clutching your forehead.

Shoto calls for the doctor, gesturing for you to lay back down. The pain stops at his touch. You see the doctor come in, and before the door closes, you see Takahashi standing outside, his face downcast.

"Describe what you're feeling, your Highness," the doctor asks, pull out a paper to jot notes.

"It's stopped," you gasp, "It was awful, like a sword piecing my brain, but Shoto touched my shoulder, and it stopped."

The doctor smiles. "Ah, I understand."

You and Shoto look at each other.

". . .The prince's touch will stop the pain."

"How?" Shoto asks the doctor.

"Oxytocin," the doctor laughs. "Whenever you touch her, your Highness, her body releases oxytocin, which also acts like a pain reliever. Since it was only a touch, the pain has only become a dull throb, yes?"